Bolt

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 21st, 2007, 10:15 am

american dog 4 life wrote:Does everyone remeber this http://www.aintitcool.com/images/dog.mov
*Trying to get the thread back on topic*

Why, yes, I do! Looks nice, doesn't it?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 21st, 2007, 10:36 pm

I watched it again....(I did months ago too I think, but forgot about it....)

Beautiful backgrounds and color. Amazing character animation.....:wink:

I wonder if success has spoilt Rock Hunter?
QUICK_EDIT
I wasn't sure at the time you posted this Ben, but now I think you mean:

"I wonder if success has spoilt John Lassetter?"

BTW, I love how you Brits write words like "spoilt" and "dreamt" instead of "spoiled" and "dreamed."

Much cooler looking......:) I used to read Dr. Who Target paperbacks a lot as a kid and sometimes at school caught myself writing "colour" or "theatre" etc....oops! :P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 22nd, 2007, 5:35 am

Well, it seems like there's still plenty of good things happening at Disney:

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... -same.html

Also, American Dog is almost definetely going to get a title change....doens't say what it will be though.

I know many think it will be "Hollywood Dog" but I kinda suspect it will be different, something like "Bolt: Star of Stage and Screen" or something like that anyway....just my thoughts. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 22nd, 2007, 9:42 am

Yeah - Hollywood Dog fits the story better but doesnt have as nice a ring to it as American Dog.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 22nd, 2007, 2:30 pm

He Vi, you wanna try and <I>write</I> in another English dialect! I'm always trying to catch myself and make sure I use "Americanisms" in all my writing here, on News and on Views. :)

Fun Anderson story. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 22nd, 2007, 5:56 pm

Nah Ben, why not use some British expressions once in a while, I think they're neat! :) Jolly good! :wink: :P
Last edited by ShyViolet on February 22nd, 2007, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » February 22nd, 2007, 6:10 pm

Such a shame Chris sanders is replaced,
I loved what he did with Lilo & Stitch.

John Lasetter is overcancelling stuff in my humble opinion.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by american dog 4 life » February 23rd, 2007, 8:24 pm

Any new news on the production of the so called "hollywood Dog".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 23rd, 2007, 8:45 pm

Not since yesterday, american dog! :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 26th, 2007, 9:10 pm

I noticed we have 2 American Dog threads here, (one in Theatrical and one in General Discussions) both titled "American Dog"....we really need to merge them into one thread--this is getting somewhat confusing....:P
(Although it's true we don't know the official title yet....:) :roll:)

I said on another thread (can't find it now) that I don't think what Iger/WDFA re-booted is that different from what Eisner was trying to do, even if somewhat ineptly. I still stand by my statement. Disney seems to be doing an awful lot of planning for franchises, shows and movies (many of them based off of stuff like High School Musical and Pirates, both done when Eisner was in power) How is that different from Eisner's declaration (however misguided he may have been in the way he executed some moves) in "creating content"?

I think Disney is different now, mostly for the better, and that overall it's a good thing Eisner left, since he was getting too dug in and micromanaging as we all know. Removal of strategic planning was positive as well. But I see other changes happening here that I'm not so thrilled about, many of which we have already discussed, so I won't repeat them here.

My main feeling is that people should still be aware and critical of what's going on at Disney, just as they were when Eisner was around. Maybe it seemed a year ago as though (because Eisner was out and Lassetter was in) we were suddenly back in 1987 and a new "Little Mermaid" is just around the corner--but trust me, we ain't.

Three biggest points:

1.) Eisner may have screwed up a lot of stuff, but at least he was totally devoted to Disney as a company, not to Apple or to Pixar.

2.) Roy Disney's battles with Eisner were very, very personal, very much about stock prices, salaries and vendettas, if perhaps not completely. He's been back at Disney for more than a year now, and we've basically heard nothing about anything from him, (pretty much the way it was before he was pushed off the board) despite all the noisy, long-winded rhetoric that was dished out when he WASN'T in the company.

3.) When Disney paid 7 billion for Pixar, they weren't just buying Pixar films/property, but Lassetter/Catmull. Why couldn't they have spent some of that money to hire back all the animators they fired? (and hire the ones who were freelancing for them like Keane/Baxter full time).
What does this say about their confidence in their own people, their own, time-honored way of making Disney films?

Despite the ongoing mostly widespread trust in Lassetter & Co's actions within the animation/fan community, I still find these factors troubling, and so far my fears have not been allayed. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 27th, 2007, 9:51 am

Good points Vi, but I think we'll have to wait and see what the Lasseter/Catmull Disney films are like before we judge.

On Roy...he's been very showy about the Legacu series, which is what is position really is now, a Disney-family figurehead for the company.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 27th, 2007, 10:33 pm

Good points Vi, but I think we'll have to wait and see what the Lasseter/Catmull Disney films are like before we judge.
I know Ben, :wink:, and I'm willing to give them a chance. I'm excited about Ratatouille and very excited about W.A.L.-E. :) I just wish they'd promote Robinsons more! :(

(Well, the WAL-E story anyway....at least the way Jim described it. But it's still like a year and a half away.....plus I still think the robot looks BLAND, boring and ugly--sorry, I just do. The "big innocent eyes" thing has been done a million times before except no one seems to want to point that out when it comes from Pixar. It also very much resembles Short Circuit, and even the plot is sort of ET meets Enemy Mine, the "Only watched Hello Dolly on TV thing for 700 years" is pure Explorers, hmmm....is Pixar on an 80's retro-binge or something??)

.....But since we haven't seen anything else and it could still change, I'll try to be open-minded. :? :roll: :) Try, anyway. :wink: To me the most interesting part was about the fat lazy humans in floating chairs--now THAT's funny-sounding! A commentary on our society vis-a-vis The Incredibles could be a great, great thing. :)

On Roy...he's been very showy about the Legacu series, which is what is position really is now, a Disney-family figurehead for the company.
I guess. :? Anyway, I'm really hoping he uses his clout to bring back SOTS! :):)
Last edited by ShyViolet on February 28th, 2007, 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 28th, 2007, 12:38 am

It's also this column/post on the Harry McCracken site a year ago that made me question the whole arrangement (written shortly before the merger took place)

Wow, any Lasseter/Pixar fans here tonight?

You all like Pixar, that's great, really. I am happy for you.

Let me pose this question, though. Why would Disney need to buy Pixar to stop their own middle management problems?

Believe it or not, John Lasseter isn't the only one who knows something about animation. Disney certainly didn't need to spend seven billion to get someone who does. This is as big a corporate decision as you can get.

This was only done to try to erase all the negative buzz that has been created about Disney by the media and the Internet fans. There are a million ways Disney could have solved their problems, the Disney name still is the biggest in the business believe it or not. A few years doesn't change all the history they have.

You get into a big problem when you say that there is only one solution to a problem. Talk about creative bankruptcey. The fans talk about how much they hate the pencil pushers, who don't come from a creative background, making decisions based on numbers. Yet all you talk about is how only Lasseter knows how to fix animation, and only Lasseter knows how to make a film.

To me, all of the Pixar films look alike, and follow a formula to a T. The Incredibles was slightly different, but because of Brad Bird. And now everything *has* to look like the Pixar formula to succeed, right?

Sorry, I don't see a big improvement here at all. I only see a step backwards, but then I'm not a Pixar fan who would be happy with everything being exactly the same, and with only John Lasseter calling the shots.

--Chef Out!
Posted by MasterChefBill on January 24, 2006 9:29 PM

I don't totally agree with him about the Pixar films, since I think some are better than others, and despite the formulaic nature of most of the scripts they do have a different "feel", especially Toys 2, Bugs and Monsters Inc....to me, those felt the most like "real films" in their own right.

Nemo and Cars seem very similar to each other, however.
Incredibles is of course The Wild Card, and is very much a "film film"

Ratatouille, despite the Bird presence, seems very Pixar. Hopefully W.A.L.-E will break that pattern. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 13th, 2007, 12:57 pm

On this new bit...why the heck is Jim linking to almost every word now? What's with the Supernanny quote especially!!?? Hollywood Boulevard??

I know your question was from a while ago Ben, but I only recently found out why....it's more spam and pop-ups...nothing to do with his articles. It's just links to ads that want you to buy that stuff, etc....now the pop-ups are inside the articles as well....:(

:roll:

Also, I wish I had something new to say about this film (that's probably what people expected, sorry...:wink: :oops:) but I don't....no news for a while....unless someone else knows something and wants to share? :)
I wonder how much of the film's original look is being preserved, or are they doing all new concept art? I'd wager the latter. :|

EDIT:

Although, if you follow IMDB, the project is currently filming....? So, the new concept art/animation under Lassetter must have been in the works for a while now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0397892/

Also, wonder if this is the new or old cast? New one probably.

Mario Cantone ... Cat (voice) (attached)
rest of cast listed alphabetically:

John Travolta ... (voice) (attached)

Thomas Haden Church ... (voice) (attached)

Woody Harrelson ... (voice) (attached)

Bernie Mac ... (voice) (attached)

Bruce Greenwood ... (voice) (attached)

Jennessa Rose ... Ruthie

Liv Hutchings ... Sarah
Double Edit! :) Stop the presses! :P Apparently Nicole Kidman might be in this....according to Wik, her character (Nancy) is a Cocker Spaniel of some kind. :)

Wik had this listed:

Voice cast

* John Travolta as Bolt
* Nicole Kidman as Nancy
* Thomas Haden Church
* Woody Harrelson
* Bernie Mac as Rhino
* Mario Cantone as Mr. Mittens
* Bruce Greenwood
* Jennessa Rose as Ruthie
* Liv Hutchings as Sarah

It's all just rumors of course....:wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 7th, 2007, 9:19 am

This isn't a whole lot of news, but American Dog (the new version, soon to be titled something else) is apparently up on reels now and is about to be viewed by JL & company.

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... shots.html

It looks like it's going to have a Fall '08 opening.

Oh, and the new designs are apparently quite different.