Re: Toy Story 3

Post by ELIOLI » January 18th, 2011, 7:13 pm

:B
http://www.elioliart.com/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » January 18th, 2011, 7:20 pm

Zero chance. It won't even get nominated. How to Train Your Dragon and Tangled are going to get nominated, with Toy Story 3 winning the prize.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 18th, 2011, 7:21 pm

So I see Toy Story 3 has a nom at the BAFTAs along with How To Train Your Dragon and Despicable Me. Just curious for those in the know was Tangled ineligible as it hasn't been released in the UK in time OR have the BAFTAs just decided that DM was better than Tangled and The Illusionist?

re: TS3's win at the GG. Part of me is happy with it (in fact I would have been happy with Dragon or Tanlged as well) but the other part of me feels like anything with the word Pixar wins these things. I just hope with tthe dominance of Pixar in this category that the awards circuit doesn't decide to ditch the category kinda like how the Academt Awards very slowly fazed out the chance of musical scores ever winning Best Original Score after Disney was perceived as hogging that category.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » January 18th, 2011, 9:39 pm

Not sure if it's been posted, but there's a neat little article online about relationships in the Toy Story films.

http://someguyonthenet.blogspot.com/201 ... -love.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by estefan » January 20th, 2011, 8:40 am

Bill1978 wrote:I just hope with tthe dominance of Pixar in this category that the awards circuit doesn't decide to ditch the category kinda like how the Academt Awards very slowly fazed out the chance of musical scores ever winning Best Original Score after Disney was perceived as hogging that category.
I can see the streak ending next year with Cars 2 (unless it turns out to be super-amazing). After all, the first Cars didn't win the Academy Award that year, if you recall. So, they might give it to something else this year and 2011 will be especially exciting as I think last year showed, we don't know what animated films will be fantastic and which will be stinkers.

To quote William Goldman on the entertainment industry, "Nobody knows anything." Aka, we have no way of knowing which films will be well-received or not, especially considering what filthy lies trailers are.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Re:

Post by carlminez » January 20th, 2011, 11:51 am

Are they gonna make a sequel to Cars too? How do they even get away with making all those sequels?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » January 20th, 2011, 2:36 pm

Umm, yeah. They have. There's a trailer out already:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by carlminez » January 20th, 2011, 3:04 pm

Its just a matter of time before my unyielding hatred of Pixar drives me insane...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 24th, 2011, 3:58 pm

I think the sequel is a lock-in for being a successful moneymaker even if it's even more creatively redundant than the first one. I mean, seriously, with names like the vehicle Michael Caine voices, there's a clear Austin Powers/wide crowdpleaser vibe going on, and that will strike a chord, whatever the movie's merits are.

But remember that we also have the more creatively ambitious John Carter Of Mars to come this year, too, proving that Pixar is as bottom-line conscious as the rest of Hollywood: providing the cushion for Carter's risk is the sure-fire hit of Cars 2. It's just the way it works.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 24th, 2011, 6:49 pm

...And if they weren't at least a little bottom-line conscious, eventually there'd be financial trouble.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 16th, 2011, 12:23 pm

Spoken like a true Spambot.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by carlminez » February 16th, 2011, 1:02 pm

Wow, look at those NYC Hotel Deals!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Am I the only one who didn't like Toy Story 3?

Post by carlminez » March 1st, 2011, 8:34 pm

(I should probably start off by saying that the post didn’t only get too long but also a bit too “ranty” (even by personal standards) so if the moderatos should find it necessary, I could edit it down a bit.)

Anyway! I’ve never been too much of a Pixar fan. While anyone who knows me, or know anything of me, or have read anything I’ve written since my recent appearance on this forum, won’t be too surprised to hear that it has something to do with this I still can’t help but feel that Pixar movies are being terribly overrated.

Their latest feature, Toy Story 3, is no exception of course. This movie is being so glorified it would be laughable if it was any less tragic. Critics are calling it “heartbreaking” and “inspiring”, and a movie critic from NYT even went as far as calling it “a deep, complex take on mortality”. Seriously?

Personally, I found Toy Story 3 of being a surprisingly formulaic and unappealing movie of the following reasons. Firstly, the same story formula is being recycled for the third time! Just like in the other two movies, the toys are separated from Andy. Overall, the plot just feels like one big excuse to move the characters from the backdrop of Andy’s room to the daycare center where the story is being transformed into a prison break parody, filled with plot-twists, slapstick humor and gay-jokes, directly aimed at the adults in the audience. But the worst thing is that this movie isn’t treating the characters with respect. Rather than having them develop beyond the minimal standard required for the plot, the directors focused more on having them do stupid things and end up in stupid situations. There are about a dozen different toys in the series now, most of which only functions as comic relief characters that stick around in the background. The majority of these toys spend more times being chewed on by drooling babies than showing any character development, whatsoever.

Buzz and Woody are really the only ones worth mentioning, which is sad, because both Woody and Buzz are terribly simplistic in this third installment. Woody is the same few-worded, whiny character he was in the other two movies. But it’s okay. He doesn’t change because the plot requires him to stay the same. But Woody was never the star of this series. It was the space ranger, Buzz, who stole the show back in 1995. In Toy Story 3, the ugly doll is reduced to pure, stupid and brain-dead entertainment. The only character development Buzz Lightyear demonstrates isn’t more complex than the switching on the button in his back. He spends the majority of the movie in “demo-mode”, delivering catchphrases and references to his delusional space-persona. And it’s funny about the first time he does it and not quite as funny about the tenth time. And he spends the rest of the movie as a surprisingly distasteful and offensive Spanish stereotype. And really, oh so devoted Pixarfans, doesn’t the fact that the directors would take Buzz Lightyear and change him so carelessly in the film speak volumes of their indifference to their own characters’ personalities?

I just can’t figure out what, if anything, makes this movie so good. From my point of view, It is terrible! And it becomes even more staggering when you think about how other animated movies, personal favorites that are by far more sophisticated and complex; Like How to Train Your Dragon and Bolt, are being pushed in the background to make way for the unyielding glorification of Pixar. Okay, both of these movies have been met fairly well by critics, particularly Dragon, but none of them have received the attention Toy Story 3 received, despite being more deserving. My personal favorite, Bolt, was very underrated, almost overlooked, when realized back in 2008.

Anyway, this rant is getting long as it is, so I’ll leave the question to you.
Am I the only one with this opinion, and if so, what exactly is so good about this seemingly terrible movie?

PS: If you feel like questioning any of my observations above you might wanna check out "the entire rant". See, when I started writing in this thread, my post got so long I decided to move into a personal blog instead!
And no, this is not self-promotion. I really couldn’t fit it all in this thread

There is a quite conspicuous difference in how children are being portrayed in Bolt and how they are being portrayed Toy Story 3.
Last edited by carlminez on March 2nd, 2011, 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.