Toy Story 3

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 1st, 2011, 8:51 pm

There is a quite conspicuous difference in how children are being portrayed in Bolt and how they are being portrayed Toy Story 3.
(Well, I think I've narrowed down the reason: I'm pretty sure it's either due to their being different movies, or different directors--One of the two. I'd wondered about "Different studios", but....nahhh, that's just crackpot.) ;)
Last edited by EricJ on March 1st, 2011, 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 1st, 2011, 10:34 pm

Like seemingly most, I loved Toy Story 3. Why? Well, it made me laugh, cry, and generally enjoy myself. Sorry, but I felt that it had about 8 times more heart than Bolt, a minor movie I intially reacted to with utter indifference, though I liked it more the second time. If Toy Story 3 failed to move you, then it's your loss, I guess. Nothing I can say will convince you otherwise. (Really, it doesn't matter. We each like what we like. No need to act so incredulous. ;) ) You seem to lack the "Pixar gene." I won't hold it against you. I lack the "Family Guy gene," but I don't begrudge people who like that show.

Did plot points get recycled in TS3? Yes, in a broad sense. That's practically Sequels 101. (And come on--- the toys being seperated from Andy and acting on their own is the whole premise of the films.) On the other hand, the settings and circumstances were unique to each film. And complaining that characters stayed in character ("didn't change") seems a little pointless. Honestly, I never expected or desired most of the characters to be "developed" past what they were intended. Many of them are just there for comic relief. In a sense, their development in TS3 occurred as a group, as they faced a new life challenge. With so many characters present, I find that acceptable.

Other studios are catching up now, but yes--- Pixar has been the class of the field (in terms of US animation) for years. The fact is, their movies have generally been more sophisticated than others (for the most part); and as much as certain patterns do emerge (buddy films, sentimentality), their films are still more unique than a lot of the other high profile films of the past decade. If people have loved Pixar, it's maybe because they've stayed away from what people dislike about much of the DreamWorks and Blue Sky output, i.e. annoying, crass characters and pop culture references. Pixar tells stories, while so many other films exist to tell gags.

Not to say Pixar is perfect, of course. But they've got a darn good track record in my book. Not a bad film in the batch. I'm glad that the other studios are catching up, though. Some diversity is good.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Am I the only one who didn't like Toy Story 3?

Post by Whippet Angel » March 1st, 2011, 11:21 pm

Eh, I would type up a reply stating exactly why I disagree with most of your statements, but you're obviously too enamored by a film that was simply good, but not great to care.

So I'm only going to comment on your issue on the way children were portrayed in both films. Your argument makes NO sense whatsoever. Penny is a pre-teen, while the kids from the playroom were very young. Were you even paying attention during the movie?? The movie clearly explains that the younger "Caterpillar Room" children play more roughly with toys than the older "Butterfly Room" kids (which is 100% true in real life). Bonnie was also older than the kids from the playroom, thus a much better fit for the toys. She was also adorable (much more so than Penny), and I loved how they portrayed her as quiet and shy on the outside, but wildly imaginative when she starts playing. It reminded me a bit of myself when I was a little girl.

I loved Bolt, it was also a film that I connected with (I have a cat and a dog), but I still didn't find it to be as moving as TS3. Sorry, I just didn't.

Oh, and Randall, I also lack the "Family Guy gene". Glad I'm not the only one. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » March 2nd, 2011, 7:17 am

I too lack the family guy gene though the simpsons gene is strong with me!
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by carlminez » March 2nd, 2011, 8:40 am

Seems like my problem is that everyone loved Toy Story 3 but nobody cares enough to defend it. ^^
Well, Randall, you are obviously very knowledgeable with these things, but there are a few things i still dont understand (and i just found the quote function) so here goes:
Randall wrote: Like seemingly most, I loved Toy Story 3. Why? Well, it made me laugh, cry, and generally enjoy myself. Sorry, but I felt that it had about 8 times more heart than Bolt, a minor movie I intially reacted to with utter indifference, though I liked it more the second time.
Yeah, see the point of this thread was kinda to find out why people preferred Toy Story 3 over, for example, Bolt. Not that they did.
Randall wrote: You seem to lack the "Pixar gene." I won't hold it against you. I lack the "Family Guy gene," but I don't begrudge people who like that show.
So it’s genetic? I thought it was a spreadable decease but if it’s hereditary then that changes everything.
Randall wrote: Many of them are just there for comic relief. In a sense, their development in TS3 occurred as a group, as they faced a new life challenge.
That’s a strange argument to make. =/
A movie that does not feature deep, complex personalities is simplistic and not deserving of any credit. Admitting that Pixar’s latest feature has nothing deeper going for it than comic relief would put it on the same level as Madagascar or the latest Shrek film.
Randall wrote: If people have loved Pixar, it's maybe because they've stayed away from what people dislike about much of the DreamWorks and Blue Sky output, i.e. annoying, crass characters and pop culture references. Pixar tells stories, while so many other films exist to tell gags.
No wait, what I said in my thread was that this is exactly case with Toy Story 3. What used to distinguish Pixar was their believable plots and interesting and complex characters. But Toy Story 3 is just that; crass characters, pop culture references (Spanish stereotypes, gayjokes) and brain-dead gags.
Whippet Angel wrote:Eh, I would type up a reply stating exactly why I disagree with most of your statements, but you're obviously too enamored by a film that was simply good, but not great to care.

So I'm only going to comment on your issue on the way children were portrayed in both films. Your argument makes NO sense whatsoever. Penny is a pre-teen, while the kids from the playroom were very young. Were you even paying attention during the movie?? The movie clearly explains that the younger "Caterpillar Room" children play more roughly with toys than the older "Butterfly Room" kids (which is 100% true in real life). Bonnie was also older than the kids from the playroom, thus a much better fit for the toys. She was also adorable (much more so than Penny), and I loved how they portrayed her as quiet and shy on the outside, but wildly imaginative when she starts playing. It reminded me a bit of myself when I was a little girl.

I loved Bolt, it was also a film that I connected with (I have a cat and a dog), but I still didn't find it to be as moving as TS3. Sorry, I just didn't.
I suspect you have little interest in discussing this at all but I just couldn’t let this one slip. I almost get the impression that I offended you, Whippet Angel.
The age difference is just a technicality and no excuse, whatsoever. The directors behind both movies decided how to portray children and in which age.
In general, Toy Story 3 is hardly a movie for kids. Firstly, the complicated plot with its many prison movie references is directly aimed at adults. The gay jokes were directly aimed at adults, as well as the tired stereotypes and the action.

But the worst thing is the irresponsible portray of dualism this movie features. Pixar always relies on an antagonist to push the plot forward. In difference to How to train your Dragon and Bolt, TS3 never develops beyond that simplistic formula. But the last thing we wanna teach kids is everything can be blamed on one single person, the bad guy, and that he can be held responsible for everything that went wrong. This is exactly that TS3 teaches kids with Lotso. Even from a storyboard perspective, relying on a bad-guy is a failure in itself. A cheap trick from Unkrich.

I wouldn’t have any problem with this if it wasn’t that Pixar advertised their movies as family entertainment. It’s practically unethical.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 2nd, 2011, 10:03 am

I should have been more specific then. Bolt did not make me laugh or cry, and I was not entertained as much as I was with TS3.

Deal with it. ;)

BTW, my kids loved TS3, and I had no problem letting them watch it. And if there were any gay jokes, they didn't make any impression on me. As for having a "bad guy," don't most films have that? Anyway, the real "bad guy" in TS3 was aging and the challenge of moving to a new phase of life.
Last edited by Randall on March 2nd, 2011, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by carlminez » March 2nd, 2011, 10:31 am

Yeah, I guess I just have to deal with it. Regarding the bad guy scenario. Well, Bolt didn't have any bad guy. Other than the shallow, callous entertainment industry and its disregard for human (in this case, dog) value. In How to Train your Dragon, the enemy is ignorance and indifference towards the animal kingdom. In Toy Story 3 its the pink teddybear.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 2nd, 2011, 1:40 pm

I'll give you that Bolt had no antagonist who was aggressively evil, but didn't HTTYD have a huge monster to fight at the end? ;)

This is obviously a matter of personal preference, but many of us saw Bolt's lack of an adversary as contributing to the film's weakness on the excitement meter. (Although, as I said, watching it a second time with different expectations allowed me to love it much more. Until then, it had remained the only Disney movie NOT in my collection, and I intially had no interest in getting it, so unimpressed I was. I only got it during a special offer to round out my collection, but when I watched it again I did really like it. It's possible, on the other hand, that my love of TS3 may actually decrease on repeat viewings, but time will tell.)
Last edited by Randall on March 2nd, 2011, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » March 2nd, 2011, 3:10 pm

No, I wasn't offended. You just seem to have a huge chip on your shoulder from Bolt not winning an academy award, thus your judgement on this (or any Pixar film for that matter) is clouded. But if you really want to have an intelligent discussion on this, I'm game.

*cracks knuckles* Okay, let's do this. :wink:

You want to know why most people prefer TS3 over Bolt? I'd say it's probably because TS3 is a complex film with different themes going on (leaving the viewer with much to think about at the end). The film also takes many risks, while Bolt is a cute, sweet and safe family film, but not much more than that.

On the film not being family friendly: The difference between a "kids flick" and a "family film" is that the latter includes something for everyone, and it's not just the kiddies that are entertained. What exactly was wrong with the gay jokes? I thought they were funny, and they were subtle enough that they'd go over the heads of most kids. Those same kids btw, will watch the movie again years from now when they're older, and will be able to "get" the jokes, thus making the film even more enjoyable than before. It's one thing I love about subtle adult humor. I'll re-watch films that I enjoyed as a kid, and be amused, albeit for different reasons.

On character development: The film is about learning how to grow up and move on. Woody lacked any character development? Really? I'd say he developed more than any other character in the film. He knows Andy won't ever play with him again, but he stubbornly refuses to let him go, and he's angry at the other toys because they don't feel the same way. When they decide to go to Sunnyside, it's because they realize that it's time to move on from Andy, and it's the most logical thing to do. It isn't until that brief scene near the end when he sees Andy with his mom that he realizes that he doesn't always have to be WITH Andy to care about him. Thus he makes the decision to go to Bonnie's house so he can continue doing what he was meant for (being a kid's toy), and he can be with his fiends, who are as Buzz stated earlier, "a family".

On Losto the Bear: Lotso in a lot of ways represents what Woody could become if he never learned to let go. Lotso was angry and bitter at his owner for replacing him, and didn't want anyone else to be happy either. Like Randall said, the real "villain" in this film is the challenge of moving on in life. Lotso is more of an obstacle if anything. Even after the toys have escaped Sunnyside, Woody is still faced with the issue of letting go of Andy. Seeing what happened to Lotso was probably eye-opening for him.

On the mortality theme: Like I said before, the film takes risks, and the incinerator scene was a rather dark moment for an animated family film. Yes, we knew that the toys weren't going to die, but THEY didn't know that. Their reaction to the event is what made that scene interesting. Imagine going through all they'd just been through, only to have it end that way. They KNEW that there was no way to get out, and that they were going to die. The filmmakers gave that scene a perfect analogy on the DVD commentary. They described it like being on a plane that's going down with your whole entire family. Do you die running around screaming, or quietly hold hands and go down with dignity? The toys had all been through so much together, and it was touching to see them react the way they did.

Oh, and many family films contain a good amount of subtle adult humor, not just Pixar films. Like I said before, many of the films I enjoyed as a kid in the 80's contained a good amount of it, so I'd hardly call the studio "unethical" for that reason.

That's all I've got for now. Your turn!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 2nd, 2011, 4:36 pm

Basically...

#1, your image "comparison" is too wide for this page.

#2, "Am I the only one who didn't like Toy Story 3?" - no, as we found out during our Oscar chat on Sunday night. I can't say I am the film's biggest fan, but even I would agree that it's waaay more interesting and successful in its aims than Bolt, which as Rand said, is ultimate a minor entry on the Disney Animation list of all-time greats.

#3, did this really need a new thread when we have a perfectly usable TS3 one?

#4, "And no, this is not self-promotion. I really couldn’t fit it all in this thread" - doesn't seem like it to me: a bit of editing would have done wonders for your argument, and therefore no reason it couldn't have been here in full. By the way, I've toned down your links, for obvious reasons.

#5, I'm not sure that anyone (else) would really step up and suggest that Bolt was anything but an entertaining kids/family film that had a little fun. It was lightweight fare that would have been shut down by the incoming Lasseter had it (and a couple of others) not been so far ahead in production and already had so much spent on it. The result was as expected: competently produced but showing enough of the cracks of the previous administration's efforts that proved enough to hamper its prospects.

Your love of Bolt is admirable, though it was never going to win an Oscar. But feel good for it at least achieving a nomination: something that the much, MUCH better Tangled didn't manage to do this year.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 2nd, 2011, 4:40 pm

I dub this thread, "Dusty II"

A sub-heading is not necessary...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 2nd, 2011, 5:44 pm

:lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by carlminez » March 2nd, 2011, 5:47 pm

Ben wrote:Basically...

#1, your image "comparison" is too wide for this page.

#2, "Am I the only one who didn't like Toy Story 3?" - no, as we found out during our Oscar chat on Sunday night. I can't say I am the film's biggest fan, but even I would agree that it's waaay more interesting and successful in its aims than Bolt, which as Rand said, is ultimate a minor entry on the Disney Animation list of all-time greats.

#3, did this really need a new thread when we have a perfectly usable TS3 one?

#4, "And no, this is not self-promotion. I really couldn’t fit it all in this thread" - doesn't seem like it to me: a bit of editing would have done wonders for your argument, and therefore no reason it couldn't have been here in full. By the way, I've toned down your links, for obvious reasons.

#5, I'm not sure that anyone (else) would really step up and suggest that Bolt was anything but an entertaining kids/family film that had a little fun. It was lightweight fare that would have been shut down by the incoming Lasseter had it (and a couple of others) not been so far ahead in production and already had so much spent on it. The result was as expected: competently produced but showing enough of the cracks of the previous administration's efforts that proved enough to hamper its prospects.

Your love of Bolt is admirable, though it was never going to win an Oscar. But feel good for it at least achieving a nomination: something that the much, MUCH better Tangled didn't manage to do this year.
Well, Ben I was wondering when you would show up. :)

Your tendency to always find me in this forum is almost flattering, considering your position as both writer and administrator for this site. However, I’m rather disappointed as you, rather than denying or questioning any of the arguments I presented as to why TS3 is overrated, decided to criticize trivialities. Like the fact that I uploaded a picture that was too wide and posted a link to my blog. Anyway, I think this topic deserves its own thread and, as you see, a bit of a discussion has already been fostered. And I’ll replace the picture of course.

Anyway, you did say a few things about Bolt. It seems like you always return to Bolt being nothing but an “entertaining kids/family film that had a little fun” (as you so eloquently expressed it). Basically, your argument seems to be that since there is a consensus amongst critics that Bolt is nothing special, I should conform after that rather than expressing my own opinion. But isn’t the purpose of all journalism, movie criticism in particular, to form personal opinions rather than just following the norm? :|

Surely, you don’t consider yourself to be in position to tell me what a good movie is and isn’t? You have every right to disagree, Ben! It’s a matter of personal opinions, after all. And I’d be happy to discuss the matter with you in a constructive atmosphere of mutual respect. But if you are to disagree, I would honestly prefer it if you, rather than just reminded me that Bolt was nothing special simply because you and many critics agreed that it isn’t, would take time to explain why you think Toy Story 3 is better in the first place. That’s exactly what Whippet Angel did, above. Indeed, she has presented some very good arguments which lead me to rethink some of my earlier statements. Particularly when it comes to Woody.

And where did you read that Lasseter planned to shut the project down? Lasseter worked closely with Chris Williams and Byron Howard to improve Chris Sanders “American Dog”, making Bolt into what it is today. He loved Bolt, at least according to his own words, and was in many ways more involved with Bolt than Toy Story 3.
Last edited by carlminez on March 2nd, 2011, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 2nd, 2011, 6:09 pm

What George said. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by carlminez » March 2nd, 2011, 6:35 pm

Here we goagain!
Whippet Angel wrote: No, I wasn't offended. You just seem to have a huge chip on your shoulder from Bolt not winning an academy award, thus your judgement on this (or any Pixar film for that matter) is clouded. But if you really want to have an intelligent discussion on this, I'm game.
Yeah I just want to repeat that my intention was never to offend anyone. I still disagree with you but I certainly respect your opinion and I will try to provide your arguments with as good answers I can.
Whippet Angel wrote: You want to know why most people prefer TS3 over Bolt? I'd say it's probably because TS3 is a complex film with different themes going on (leaving the viewer with much to think about at the end). The film also takes many risks, while Bolt is a cute, sweet and safe family film, but not much more than that.
That might very well be the case. I can admit that Bolt was a bit bland and certainly not as contrasty as Toy Story 3. But then again, you really have to watch Bolt a few times to understand what’s going on in this film, which completely lends itself to the characters and their personal evolution. Whereas I found Toy Story 3 to be a loud, simplistic and almost vulgar movie, Bolt surprised me as the characters (at least the dog and the cat) really did develop in an utterly believable way. Bolt was my favorite as he was a quiet, few-worded and introvertive character that was almost overpowered by the hyperactive hamster and Mitten’s witty dialogs. But Bolt is still the most touching character from the film, and his personality and how he struggles with his own identity, mental denial and self-confidence.

In the movie, Bolt must first overcome his delusions and pride and expose himself and his vulnerability to Mittens. At first, he treats the poor cat quite brutality but he learns lesson of pain and humiliation on the way and is forced to drop his superhero persona.

There is a brilliant scene about halfway into the movie when Mittens has tied herself to a tree, trying to talk some sense into the dog. At first, Bolt just tries to ignore her, calling her explanations preposterous. But it becomes harder and harder to ignore the cat’s logics when as he starts to realize that she is right. He becomes frustrated and starts barking repeatedly trying to silence both Mittens and the unwelcomed feelings of doubt that is starting to build up in the back of his head.

As a result, Bolt is perhaps not as "explosive" as Toy Story 3, but it’s (in my opinion) my sophisticated in a subtle manner. And if I had children I would certainly want them to see Bolt instead of Toy Story 3. (well, im not planning to have children, I might get a white puppy and paint a lightning bolt on his side, but you get the picture)
It is, however, possible that I missed the themes and character development that you spoke of.
Whippet Angel wrote: On the film not being family friendly: The difference between a "kids flick" and a "family film" is that the latter includes something for everyone, and it's not just the kiddies that are entertained. What exactly was wrong with the gay jokes? I thought they were funny, and they were subtle enough that they'd go over the heads of most kids. Those same kids btw, will watch the movie again years from now when they're older, and will be able to "get" the jokes, thus making the film even more enjoyable than before. It's one thing I love about subtle adult humor. I'll re-watch films that I enjoyed as a kid, and be amused, albeit for different reasons.
I don’t think that the gay jokes is going to do any harm. But I don’t normally like movie that has to use tired stereotypes, like gays, dumb blonds and Spanish dancers, to generate laughs. A low form of entertainment. I think prefer the witty charm of Bolt.

Besides, the characters in Bolt were really being treated with respect. Sure, the audience might get some laughs out of the confused canines attempts to jump over that road construction ditch and trying to melt locks with his eyeballs. But the point of the movie was still to emphasize with the characters. I rather feel that the directors Lee Unkrich and Andrew Stanton didn’t quite treat the characters in Toy Story 3 with respect.
Whippet Angel wrote: On Losto the Bear:

Lotso in a lot of ways represents what Woody could become if he never learned to let go. Lotso was angry and bitter at his owner for replacing him, and didn't want anyone else to be happy either. Like Randall said, the real "villain" in this film is the challenge of moving on in life. Lotso is more of an obstacle if anything. Even after the toys have escaped Sunnyside, Woody is still faced with the issue of letting go of Andy. Seeing what happened to Lotso was probably eye-opening for him.

On the mortality theme: Like I said before, the film takes risks, and the incinerator scene was a rather dark moment for an animated family film. Yes, we knew that the toys weren't going to die, but THEY didn't know that. Their reaction to the event is what made that scene interesting. Imagine going through all they'd just been through, only to have it end that way. They KNEW that there was no way to get out, and that they were going to die. The filmmakers gave that scene a perfect analogy on the DVD commentary. They described it like being on a plane that's going down with your whole entire family. Do you die running around screaming, or quietly hold hands and go down with dignity? The toys had all been through so much together, and it was touching to see them react the way they did.
That's all I've got for now. Your turn!
Yeah, I didn’t like the end scenes that much. Lotso and his evil minions capture the good gang of toys as they try to escape via a garbage dumpster. But after a heartfelt speech by Woody, Lotso’s own companions turn against him – you know like in every other family movie ever created. And as the toys are about to be thrown into the burn pit, Lontso is actually being saved by the noble good guys. And naturally, he doesn’t return the favor, leaving them all to die without pressing the emergency stop button. (Moral message; do not help people, for they will only betray you in the end.)

But just about the poor plastic toys are about to be burnt, a giant claw reaching down and saves them. At this point, I was convinced that it was Lontso having a sudden change of heart, developing as a character and deciding to save the others would be the one operating the crane. It would have been predictable, but at least it would have some sort of deeper meaning to it.

I was wrong again of course. Instead they toys were being saved by those ugly, green, toy aliens. The toy aliens who couldn’t feel less relevant and I don’t even remember seeing them in the movie before. It was as if the directors flipped a coin to see which character would save the toys from the burning fire. The bad guy gets what he deserves in the end, being tied to the front grill of a garbage truck. They always get what they deserve, don’t they?

Anyway, my problem with Lotso is quite simple. This brings me to another point. Pixar relies on evil antagonists much like James Cameron relies on extra effects. There is only some outrageous mean character to push the plot forward, and this is not only a very cheap trick to create drama, but it is an extremely irresponsible way to portray the world for young, responsive minds.

The last thing we want to teach kids is that all the evil attributes in world can just be subscribed to one person who can consequently be blamed for all problems. That the kind of simplistic, unrealistic view of the world modern media is trying to move away from!

In How To Train Your Dragon, the enemy is ignorance and prejudgment against animals. There is a very important message here about understanding and trying to coexist peacefully with nature. See this is what we wanna teach children.

In Bolt the only actual antagonist is Hollywood and the shallow entertainment industry it represents. As such, Bolt is about the importance of being yourself rather than a character to be consumed through media. In a time when reality shows are raising ethical questions and the media industry is constantly influencing children, telling them to be in a certain way and value shallow, superficial abilities– a movie that centers on the importance of knowing who you are and accepting your limitations couldn’t be more timely and relevant.

In Both of these movies are about battling ideas rather than individuals. That doesn’t only make for more suitable stories for children, but it also makes the movie’s overall themes deeper and more realistic. Anyway, obviously Lotso is the personification of evil. And this isn’t even very well explained! We just get a brief, cheesy flashback showing us how Lotso was abandoned. Directors use flashbacks like putty when it comes to filling plotholes.
Last edited by carlminez on March 2nd, 2011, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.