Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 3rd, 2011, 6:45 pm

:roll:

One second.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Am I the only one who didn't like Toy Story 3?

Post by EricJ » March 3rd, 2011, 8:56 pm

(Well, to be honest, that one has me stumped, too--Sylvester, or TC?) :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 3rd, 2011, 10:22 pm

Did you all scare him away from this forum or is this Dusty fellow still active?
Oh, he's still here... patiently biding his time, letting someone else become the latest subject of scorn and derision, before he rises up to reclaim his mantle. Bwahaha! :)

OK, now we're all gettin' a little punchy. :)
I still hate Pixar because they are terribly terribly overrated...Thus making Pixar my favorite studio when it comes to animated movies.

True, I edited out some words, but both statements came in the same paragraph. Seriously, the contradiction is amazing. It makes one wonder how much you must truly loathe the studios that aren't your favorite! What's the matter? You just resent anyone getting a compliment? Kinda sad. :( It also seems remarkably petty. Why "hate" a company because others praise them?

So, let's suppose you quit saying you hate Pixar, then; because, that seems to not really be what you mean. Let's just say that you resent the praise that others heap on them, because... well, for whatever reason that you hate successful people.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 3rd, 2011, 11:06 pm

What was the name of that last guy who went psycho and got banned???

You know what they say about history repeating itself!

Cue Gounod's "Funeral March of a Marionette".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 3rd, 2011, 11:19 pm

(Alfred Hitchcock was banned??) :eek:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by carlminez » March 3rd, 2011, 11:24 pm

GeorgeC wrote:What was the name of that last guy who went psycho and got banned???

You know what they say about history repeating itself!
You have been on this forum way too long.
Randall wrote:Oh, he's still here... patiently biding his time, letting someone else become the latest subject of scorn and derision, before he rises up to reclaim his mantle. Bwahaha! :)

OK, now we're all gettin' a little punchy. :)
Why would you even post that in the first place if you know that you are taking it too far? I’m still trying to figure out why you all think I deserve to be the subject of “scorn and derision” in the first place.

Ben seems to think that my obsession with Bolt and detest of TS3 can justify his sarcastic remarks. His excuse seems to be something along the lines of “he started it with the ranting”, whereas I make a difference between criticizing a movie and insulting an individual.
Randall wrote: Seriously, the contradiction is amazing.
Hmm. Well, let's take an example. I can hate comedies. If people start praising a comedy with Adam Sandlers (God forbid) that might lead me to hate that movie, but I can still prefer Adam Sandlers comedies over other comedies. Of course, I would have no interest in criticizing those other comedies because they are not being praised.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 4th, 2011, 3:19 pm

Sandler. It's just Sandler. Not that I'm a fan. At all.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 4th, 2011, 4:32 pm

carlminez wrote: I’m still trying to figure out why you all think I deserve to be the subject of “scorn and derision” in the first place.
Apparently, jokes don't translate well in print. :cry:

It was more a comment on how you feel you're being treated, not on how we think we're actually treating you. (Well, Ben came off a little testy, but we're all just kinda yanking your chain a little. Such strong remarks are bound to gain strong responses. I mean, seriously--- you detest TS3? A statement like that kinda begs mocking.)
carlminez wrote: I can hate comedies. If people start praising a comedy with Adam Sandlers (God forbid) that might lead me to hate that movie, but I can still prefer Adam Sandlers comedies over other comedies. Of course, I would have no interest in criticizing those other comedies because they are not being praised.
Yeah, I'm still not getting why you hate that other people like something. Or why praise makes you hate something more. I'd suggest finding something you like, and just focus on that.

I'm not saying we can't debate. Debate is fine, but your passion for hate seems a trifle unhealthy. :shock: I mean, dude--- it's just cartoons, man.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 5th, 2011, 12:58 am

Randall wrote:Debate is fine, but your passion for hate seems a trifle unhealthy. :shock: I mean, dude--- it's just cartoons, man.

What he just said... Seriously.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by carlminez » March 5th, 2011, 9:21 am

Randall wrote:It was more a comment on how you feel you're being treated, not on how we think we're actually treating you. (Well, Ben came off a little testy, but we're all just kinda yanking your chain a little. Such strong remarks are bound to gain strong responses. I mean, seriously--- you detest TS3? A statement like that kinda begs mocking.)
Well, I can admit that "detest" is a pretty strong word in this context. And it’s true that I have been exaggerating a little (I should probably add that the original thread post was not even intended for this forum) But while strong remarks can lead to mockery, it doesn’t always justify it. Besides, ad hominem is a logical fallacy! But anyway, let’s leave that now.
Randall wrote: Yeah, I'm still not getting why you hate that other people like something. Or why praise makes you hate something more.
I think that’s a pretty common reaction to hype. At least when you really don’t like the movie in question. I just choose to make a big deal out of it. : )
Randall wrote: I'd suggest finding something you like, and just focus on that.
À la Bolt? ^^
Randall wrote: I'm not saying we can't debate. Debate is fine, but your passion for hate seems a trifle unhealthy. :shock: I mean, dude--- it's just cartoons, man.
I wouldn’t say that I’ve seen much interest in debating on this thread. Actually, I’m not even sure most of you disagree with my original hypothesis: that Toy Story 3 is overrated.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 5th, 2011, 4:47 pm

Y'know, "hate" is a very strong and, at times, disturbing word. Just sayin'.

But I would now - after your last reply - ask who's fixated by Bolt. I thought we were kind of moving away from this being a "Bolt is good/TS3 is bad" topic, but someone had to bring it up again... Just sayin'.

And, "actually", I think I have said a couple of times now, that I do agree with many of your TS3 points and have agreed with others elsewhere that the film has been overrated. But to say "I don't like it", "hate" or think it's badly made or even that it's not a good film (it is, I just don't think it's a great one, again for the reasons mentioned here and in my review) would be stretching things. Y'know...just sayin'.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 5th, 2011, 9:22 pm

Person who has some insane hatred against Pixar dislikes Toy Story 3, news at 11

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 6th, 2011, 12:24 pm

carlminez wrote:I think that’s a pretty common reaction to hype.
Not for me. Personally, I enjoy seeing others do well. Why should it bother me? I didn't enjoy The English Patient or understand the praise directed at it, but I never spouted hate at it or Miramax.

What's the right word here? Pettiness? Or just immaturity? Seems pretty sad to me, anyhow.

I hope you can get over your attitude towards success. You'll probably be happier for it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 6th, 2011, 1:16 pm

Not to mention get past the 12-yo.'s "Tiger Beat", aka "Rock-em Sock-em Robots", mentality of fanhood--
Ie., that to show your loyalty to one pop franchise, you must imagine it in a pitched #1 vs. #2 gladiatorial battle to the death with the nearest related pop franchise, and those in its equally competing fan-niche. ("No way, man, Avatar was way BETTER than Tim Burton's Alice!" "Team Edward vs. Team Jacob!")

But we must not look down on Carl feeling that Bolt was "persecuted" by Pixar's TS3, seeing as it is a major concern, despite the two movies coming out with different stories from different studios in different years....It's clearly favoritism in the industry. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by carlminez » March 6th, 2011, 7:14 pm

Ben wrote:Y'know, "hate" is a very strong and, at times, disturbing word. Just sayin'.

But I would now - after your last reply - ask who's fixated by Bolt. I thought we were kind of moving away from this being a "Bolt is good/TS3 is bad" topic, but someone had to bring it up again... Just sayin'.

And, "actually", I think I have said a couple of times now, that I do agree with many of your TS3 points and have agreed with others elsewhere that the film has been overrated. But to say "I don't like it", "hate" or think it's badly made or even that it's not a good film (it is, I just don't think it's a great one, again for the reasons mentioned here and in my review) would be stretching things. Y'know...just sayin'.
Let's not resort to "he started it"... :P

But yeah, I do appreciate your views on Toy Story 3. And Bolt too, of course. But I'm really not looking for your confirmation and it’s nothing that will change my opinion. I still don’t consider movies to be anything you can categorize and review, not any more than you can review any other form of art. You can probably criticize a painting for being mediocre or boring but in the end it’s all about personal interpretation.
EricJ wrote:But we must not look down on Carl feeling that Bolt was "persecuted" by Pixar's TS3, seeing as it is a major concern, despite the two movies coming out with different stories from different studios in different years....It's clearly favoritism in the industry. :P
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

I’m not saying that I think is question of favoritism. But I do think it would be naive to assume it never is. Anyway, my original idea was to compare Bolt to Wall-E. But TS3 felt more timely and relevant. (Besides, Toy Story 3 sucks way more than Wall-E.)