Toy Story 3

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » December 29th, 2004, 7:51 pm

The scores for the incredibles and Finding Nemo rocked my face off.
I'm lookin' forward to see what cars has in terms of a soundtrack.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 29th, 2004, 9:35 pm

Randy Newman.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » December 29th, 2004, 9:43 pm

Yes, I remembered Dinosaur, and was thinking of it when I typed that last message. However, Dinosaur contained some live-action elements. Thus, it should be considered an animated film as much as Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow should (which technically means that it should be counted as an animated film, but since the Academy apparently doesn't recognize Sky Captain as an animated film, I won't either.)

Either way, Chicken Little is Disney's first all-CGI theatrical animated feature.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » December 29th, 2004, 10:47 pm

Mickey A wrote:
Randy Newman.
Really?
I thought it was gonna be somethin' like the music they had in the trailer.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 30th, 2004, 12:01 am

The last that I read, he had signed on to do Cars.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 30th, 2004, 6:53 pm

Funny one that!

At the time, Dinosaur WAS pushed as Disney's first CGI film, until it didn't take off at the theaters.

The press stuff names Dinosaur as their first CGI project (funnily enough, in clearing up over Crimbo, I found that first release, with concept pics and an early Aladar with...human lips!).

In fact, they even PLAYED DOWN the fact that it had live-action backgrounds, saying that this wasn't a cheat, since no one shot was taken "as is", with each background being a mixture of different locations, elements and additional CGI tweaks (this is actually true).

It was only when Dinosaur dipped in its box office fortunes that Disney closed down their DAS (Digital Animation Studio as the notes read), AKA The Secret Lab, and didn't ramp up another CGI project - ChikLit - until the Pixar deal looked like it might slip away...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 30th, 2004, 9:17 pm

Man, Ben, where do you learn this stuff? You're like a walking Disney encyclopedia! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 31st, 2004, 11:45 am

I just guess I have a voracious apetite for Disney knowledge and am unable to let most of go from inside my head! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jens » December 31st, 2004, 12:49 pm

Actually Ben, that was not the only thing they "lied" about. The "Secret Lab" was actually an external studio called "CORE". This studio is actually working on "The Wild" for Disney at the moment. I don't think they will call it the "Secret Lab" now... I'm not sure if CORE did all the work, but they created 90% of Dinosaur.
[url=http://www.disneydatabase.com]The Disney Database[/url] - All the Disney Magic in 1 site!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 31st, 2004, 1:50 pm

Hmmm.....

Not sure that that is true.

The studio that produced Dinosaur, under long-time Disney staff and under the watchful eye of Feature Animation, was DreamQuest Images.

As with DreamWorks buying up PDI (Pacific Data Images), Disney actually already owned DreamQuest as a visual effects company. They split it in two, abandoning the DreamQuest label and creating both Buena Vista Visual Effects and The Secret Lab.

It was TSL that did actually produce the animation for Dinosaur, after it had been through Feature Animation (and several directors) in storyboard form (the way that the first Toy Story was made too).

So, basically, Dinosaur was produced in-house, but by another division of the company. In this respect, it's how they can get away by saying that ChickLit is their first CGI film from the Feature Animation department.

CORE was a studio co-founded by William Shatner (yes, Kirk himself) and, as far as I know, did not contribute directly to Dinosaur. I'd be interested to hear where you got that information from, but as far as I know, this was not the case. True that Disney has partnered them for The Wild, but the Mouse does not own this company, or have any stake in them (at this time).

Hope that helps! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jens » December 31st, 2004, 3:07 pm

Well, I was not sure about it in the first place, but I am really confident that CORE had something to do with Dinosaur. I heard it somewhere, but I don't remember where or how... I am probably wrong, but I just have this strange feeling about it :P
[url=http://www.disneydatabase.com]The Disney Database[/url] - All the Disney Magic in 1 site!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 1st, 2005, 4:46 am

I highly recommend Randy Newman's score for THE NATURAL. That was the first time I'd ever seen a movie, then proceeded directly to a record store to buy the soundtrack. :)

I do consider Newman's Pixar scores to be a bit better than his songs (I've never been able to listen to that MONSTERS, INC song without pressing the 'skip' button), but I've found them all very enjoyable .. particularly his score for A BUG'S LIFE.

I think Randy Newman complements John Lasseter's storytelling style rather well; they make a good director/composer 'team' .. kinda like Hayao Miyazaki & Jo Hisaishi .. or Tim Burton & Danny Elfman ..

So, I dunno if a Disney-produced TOY STORY 3 would 'feel' like a sequel to the other two films, even with a Randy Newman score. That doesn't mean I presume it would necessarily be 'bad'; just .. different.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 1st, 2005, 10:37 am

You got me digging about and I have to say that I'm right: CORE didn't have any input into the final version of Dinosaur. There may have been artists involved (as happens so much in the animation industry), but the company did not participate in any production on the film, as their feature film credits make clear:

CORE Digital Animation / Feature Film Credits:

RESIDENT EVIL: APOCALYPSE Screen Gems Studio/Davis Film/Impact
SIBLINGS Canadian Film Centre
HAROLD AND KUMAR Senator Films/New Line Cinema
NEW YORK MINUTE Warner Brothers
MY BABY'S DADDY Miramax Films
MALIBU'S MOST WANTED Warner Brothers
NOTHING 49th Parallel
AGAINST THE ROPES Cort-Madden Productions/Paramount Pictures
THEY Radar Pictures
CYPHER Pandora/Miramax Films
BLADE II New Line Cinema
THE TIME MACHINE DreamWorks SKG/Warner Brothers Pictures
SIMONE New Line Cinema
WHO IS CLETIS TOUT? Fireworks/Paramount Classics
GLITTER Columbia Pictures
CAVEMAN’S VALENTINE Franchise Pictures/Jersey Films/Universal Studios
FINDING FORRESTER Columbia Pictures
NUTTY PROFESSOR II: THE KLUMPS Universal Pictures
X-MEN Twentieth Century Fox
THOMAS AND THE MAGIC RAILROAD Gullane Pictures/Destination Films
KNOCKAROUND GUYS New Line Cinema
SNOW DAY Paramount Pictures
A WALK ON THE MOON Punch Productions/Miramax Films
DR. DOLITTLE Twentieth Century Fox
THE BIG HIT Columbia/Tri-Star Pictures
THE MIGHTY Alliance/Miramax
FLUBBER Disney
MIMIC Dimension Films/Miramax
SPAWN New Line Cinema
CUBE Canadian Film Centre
FLY AWAY HOME Columbia Pictures
JOHNNY MNEMONIC Tristar Pictures

As I say, this is the first I've ever heard about anyone BUT DreamQuest/The Secret Lab's involvement in Dinosaur, so hopefully this clears things up and puts you on the right track over this. If you do remember where you saw it, I'd be very interested, but one must be wary what they read: many press articles here in the UK have The Polar Express being released by DreamWorks, for example! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Randy

Post by ShyViolet » January 1st, 2005, 4:48 pm

One great Randy Newman score: Avalon (1990).

His best work: Pleasantville (1998).
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 4th, 2005, 4:59 am

I'll have to watch Pleasantville again and pick out the score. I don't remember it being one of his best.

The Natural is great - sheer movie magic - and valon is good too, but Pleasantville didn't really stick in my mind, for some reason.