Toy Story 3

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Toy Story 3

Post by Locall » June 28th, 2010, 5:37 pm

*signed* it looks so much better, story wise, character animation wise (deffo!!) it all looks as if it has been made by pro's and not the amateurs @ Pixar ... who do they think they are? :roll:

obviously I'm making one hell of a joke 8)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 28th, 2010, 6:22 pm

AD08 has a point though...it just isn't fair that most of Europe will have to wait until late July or more to see TS3 when the whole reason theaters have gone to digital prints (not even counting 3D) is so that there isn't the physical cost and time of making dupes.

There have been countless times when, by the time a movie opens here, the disc release is mere weeks away (as per most Pixars and Alice In Wonderland earlier this year). With all the complaining I did in another thread over the modern-day theater experience, is it any wonder that some people just choose to wait to see a film at home, maybe only a month after it came out locally and increasingly often with better presentation at home?

That said, I'll probably wait and see Alpha & Omega over TS3 anyway. That's naturally a no brainer.

James wrote:Way to hang me out to dry with the site's dirty laundry in public, buddy! :)
Oops! Well...at least I answered your question! ;)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 28th, 2010, 6:48 pm

There is always going to be time lag unless all the translated/dubbed versions of an original English production are done at the same time as the original language version...

(The Japanese, for one, don't seem to particularly in most cases if English-dubbed/subbed versions of most of their films ever get produced. The rest of Asia is a different story! The Japanese do make an effort to at least translate anime and sci-fi/martial arts films for mainland Asia...)

We're just not going to get around that unless the translation money is spent all at the same time and a lot of us know that's not going to happen.

Another thing is that other countries/regions have different operating rules and I don't think the current system of release is going to change in spite of all the piracy and people who have multi-region players. Theatrical release patterns aren't all the same; many countries don't follow the US release pattern of placing a film into 2,500 or more theaters on opening weekend. That wasn't the case for the US, either, 30-odd years ago when films were still opening small first weekend and then expanding wide as word-of-mouth spread and it became obvious which films were going to turn a profit. Nowadays, films are expected to show signs of profitability within a half-month or you can pretty much guess they'll bomb...!

The inertia of the overly large system that's already in place is defeating any kind of sensible reform and change in response to bootlegging (which has been around forever -- remember VHS and duped film prints before that???), P2P software and torrents, and grey market importation of alternate region Blu rays and DVDs.

A lot of the people in charge of the media companies just don't seem to care about more than the near-term bottomline and overall future of media, period. They're in it for the short term and to make the buck that they can while the getting's good.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » June 28th, 2010, 8:38 pm

Maybe the release schedules of movies is why I became a fan of animated movies. In Australia, animated movies usually appear during our school holidays. So over time I've come to readily prepare myself to go and see them as opposed to a random live action flick where I have no idea if it's opening in Australia the same day as the US or in 6 months time.

We are very lucky that Toy Story 3 opened in the US at the same time that Australian school were gtting ready for holidays as we have Toy Story 3 showing now. As well as Shrek 4. The only ones that usually annoy me is having to wait until Boxing Day or New Year's Day to see the movies released in November when they could easily open the week before Christmas. Silly money hungry distributors/studios/cinema owners

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 28th, 2010, 9:01 pm

George...the points you mentioned on time lag have nothing to do with TS3 not coming out in the UK at the same time as the US - it's an English language film, it's out in Australia, for example, at the same time as the US. This is just down to waiting until the English schoolkids are on summer break (in July), which is a bummer for those "adult" fans that want to see a film to talk to other fans about it.

At other times (Christmas Carol, Bolt, etc) the films have opened simultaneously, the ONLY reason that some have been held back in the UK has been to supply finished with US prints in the cinemas (by the way, no-one else follows the US with 2,500 release prints as no-one else has that many screens, the UK being one of the biggest second markets with only 800-1000 tops).

But with digital drives (or even multiplex streaming) that isn't an issue anymore...the film should be available anywhere, especially since we share the language. I think the real issue for TS3 in the UK has been backing away from Shrek 4, opening this weekend here, and the waiting for the holidays.

But with a September/October disc release likely, my point was that I can see why a few people now choose to wait for the US home video release, as with a delay like that, it's not actually that longer after the international rollout.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 29th, 2010, 11:47 pm

Back at 99% at RT!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 8th, 2010, 12:08 pm

If you want an entertaining howl at the limits to which feminist Disney-bashers will reach in search of a fight, the AG blog linked to a Ms. Magazine article,
http://msmagazine.com/blog/blog/2010/06 ... haracters/,
and the blogging-mom Fact Check: :mrgreen:
http://www.ncregister.com/blog/toy_story_3_is_sexist/
(Check out the correction on the Ms. article afterwards.)

It's like I said in the Ilene Woods obit thread: I HATE pop-icon windmill-tilting feminist Disney-bashers who can never stop to get their movie-geek facts straight.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 8th, 2010, 12:44 pm

Ironic. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » July 22nd, 2010, 2:38 pm

EricJ wrote:And just on a side note--
It's rather fortunate that Disney Parks took the trouble of introducing Lotso as the official new meet character for the movie before it came out...
And just had to bump it for the perfect header on the photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43153185@N00/4806446433/

--NOT the company's most successful marketing of a new character... :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 23rd, 2010, 3:19 pm

At least we know where that truck was headed at the end of the film! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Herni » October 12th, 2010, 6:09 am

I haven't seen it yet, but I hear A LOT of good things about Toy Story 3.I was surprised when my friend said it’s amazing in 3D way better then avatar.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 12th, 2010, 6:45 am

Yes, I'd be surprised at that, too.

Also, I've deleted your inappropriate signature links. Please don't add them again or spam us with motor parts - we're not that kind of site!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 12th, 2010, 10:46 am

Actually, the 3-D on TS3 was barely noticable. Which seems to be the Pixar standard, for better or worse.

I know that some people like that about them, but if I'm paying the extra money, I want for the 3-D to actually be cool. What's the pont in having it if you're not going to notice it?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 12th, 2010, 1:46 pm

That's what I thought too, Dacey, hence why I was surprised anyone would say it beat Avatar's visuals.

Pixar chooses to offer 3D as a window in on the action, as opposed to it being the mid-plate between what's going on in the screen and what can fly out past you. It's actually a better filmmaking aesthetic, although the audience don't get as much of the 3D factor, which then has them begging the point of what use it us anyway.

Personally, I'm still not a fan, and judging by the results of a hi-def BD I saw on an LED display the other day, the clarity and depth of the image blew me away far more than 3D has so far...and I didn't even have to don glasses that cut me off from the rest of the audience to enjoy it!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 24th, 2010, 9:12 pm

Interesting bit of trivia from Imdb:
In an interview with KCRW's movie industry radio show "The Business," Joan Graves, the chair of the MPAA's Classification and Ratings Administration, admitted that (based on the response she and her board have gotten from parents) giving Toy Story 3 (2010) a G rating was a mistake, and that it should have gotten at least a PG (especially because of the incinerator scene) and that the lesson learned in that case would be applied to future movie ratings so that movies would no longer be given the "benefit of the doubt" while being rated.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."