Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 11th, 2005, 6:16 pm

Hamm is ruined without him. So blah.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 11th, 2005, 7:22 pm

It won't be the first time Ratzenberger didn't voice Hamm. Andrew Stanton voiced him in the Toy Story intro to Buzz Lightyear of Star Command: The Adventure Begins.
Last edited by Josh on March 11th, 2005, 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 11th, 2005, 7:25 pm

*doesn't watch that show*

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 11th, 2005, 8:58 pm

Mickey A wrote:It won't be the first time Ratzenberger didn't voice Hamm. Andrew Stanton voiced him in the Toy Story intro to Buzz Lightyear of Star Command: The Adventure Begins.
Would that be the Andrew Stanton, also of Pixar? Can't see him stepping in for his old buddy again, can ya?

And yes, Wendy's Jane, The Secret Lab was shut down a couple of years ago. Disney's new Pixar-rip-off plant is called The Sequel Lab... :(

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 11th, 2005, 10:59 pm

Ben wrote:Would that be the Andrew Stanton, also of Pixar? Can't see him stepping in for his old buddy again, can ya?
No, I was just providing a piece of trivia.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 11th, 2005, 11:51 pm

Oh, okay. I get that you mean it's been done once before, it could be someone else next time.

Good point, and no doubt it will be! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 12th, 2005, 12:23 am

What do you think they will do about Slinky?

One very interesting thought someone at IMDB's message board came up with is that Disney could use Jim Varney's voice from other features he starred in. That might be a possibility, given the several Ernest movies Varney did that Disney owns the rights to.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » March 12th, 2005, 8:51 am

I don't think Ratz & Varney's departures (although very different) will affect the movie at all. Voice overs can easily be cast that sound exactly the same. 2 Examples:
1) In Tower of Terror, a Rod Sterling voice over sounds exactly like the real guy.
2) In It's Tough to be a Bug at Animal Kingdom, Hopper is not voiced by Kevin Spacey but rather Andrew Stanton.
Most of the other voice people should return.
-Tim Allen has close ties to Disney (Santa Clause, etc.)
-Joan Cusack is in Chicken Little and Ice Princess
-Kelsey Grammer (should Stinky Pete return) is the voice over in Disneyland's 50th Commercials
-Wallace Shawn was in the Haunted Masion, Teacher's Pet, and A Goofy Movie
-Wayne Knight (should Al return) was in Tarzan & Hercules
-John Morris was in Nightmare before Christmas (and I doubt he would object to being in another movie)
-Laurie Metcalf was in Treasure Planet, ABC's Norm and Roseanne
-Estelle Harris was in HotR, Brother Bear, Teachers Pet, and about 100 other Disney movies
-Jodi Benson (should Barbie return) is Ariel
The only people they'll have to do a little swaying is with Tom Hanks and Don Rickles since fhey have little ties to Disney.
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 12th, 2005, 11:12 am

For the most part, they're not "Pixar Guys" as JR has claimed he is. Fair enough, since most of his more visible output is popping up in the Pixar movies, so he doesn't want to jinx that and is loyal to the company. Good man.

But all the others are regular, jobbing actors or voice talent that would be happy to appear in another film, especially something like Toy Story 3, independent of who's making it ("Fish gotta swim, bird's gotta eat").

Mike makes good points in all the folks that have ties to Disney and would be easily approached, if not acceptable to the idea. I actually don't see Allen as a problem. As Mike says, he's done loads for the Mouse and is filming Shaggy Dog this summer.

I don't see a problem for Hanks, either. Splash was his first big breakout hit and was a Disney picture (yeah, okay, Touchstone). He's since done Turner & Hooch (1989) and The Ladykillers (2004) for the Studio.

Sure, he's not as tied to Disney as some, but it depends on how he sees these films being made, as Disney or Pixar films (it's clear that the first was developed by Disney in-house between feature animation and Pixar). After TS and TS 2, he may not want to hand over his character to someone else. Plus, I'm sure some preliminary discussions have been held as to his return.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Toy Story 3 director

Post by splinewrangler » March 13th, 2005, 12:47 pm

"Business of Animation Blog" says that the director of Toy Story 3 has been chosen and signed.

http://cganimation.blogspot.com/2005/03 ... signs.html

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 13th, 2005, 2:20 pm

Thanks for the news!

I had been wondering if Raymond would be it. I figured it would be either him or Mark Dindal, unless Disney was able to work something out with Pixar that allowed Lasseter to come on board the project.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by macontosh2000 » March 13th, 2005, 2:51 pm

Well that is dissapointing news. I dont like anything he has done. :(

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 13th, 2005, 3:08 pm

It is ironic that Raymond has directed both Disney's best dtv sequel and its worst, in many people's opinion. However, I think Hunchback II wouldn't be as hated as it is, if the film featured better animation. The animation in that movie may be the worst Disney animation I have ever seen. Seriously, some parts of it actually hurt my eyes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jens » March 13th, 2005, 3:58 pm

The animation was a big part why I didn't like the movie, but the bigger part was the amount of forced emotion in the movie. I mean, most sequels have a bit of forced emotions, but Hunchback II really was full of it. And I can't stand that...
[url=http://www.disneydatabase.com]The Disney Database[/url] - All the Disney Magic in 1 site!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 13th, 2005, 4:42 pm

As the HUGE fan of the original Hunchback, I still haven't been able to bring myself to see Hunchback II, due to the poor animation.

Lion King 1.5 was great fun, but he did have an amazing movie to launch off from.

I'm not surprised by the announcement. The rumors were that everyone was turning it down, and Dindal would have been one of those people that didn't want to pick up the torch. Last we heard, it was being offered to a DTV guy, and I put it down on Bradley, Donovan Cook or Darrell Rooney, all of whom would be hungry enough to grab it (wouldn't you rather hop from DTV director to big screen sequel rather that be stuck in the endless cycle of follow-ups like Rooney has been)?

He's proven that he can turn in a DTV product to match the best of them, now let's see if he can help steer this incredibly large ship in the right direction (and keep his job - anyone wanna bet he gets a co-director or is replaced by the time the film comes out?)!