Toy Story 3

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 6th, 2009, 5:44 pm

EricJ wrote:Yeah, but they don't make View-Masters anymore, darnit
:?: View-Masters are still being made -- both the viewers and the reels. They're pretty readily available in toy stores and online, from a variety of sources.

-----------------------------

I agree that both movies are well-worth seeing (either again, or for the first time) in theaters, though.

Toy Story 2 was the first movie which -- immediately after seeing it in the theater -- I walked directly back to the box-office and purchased a ticket for the very next show .. then sat back down to watch it again!

A few years later, I also did that for The Incredibles.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 6th, 2009, 5:57 pm

estefan wrote:I guess Wallace Shawn and John Ratzenberger had some free time on the weekend to do some recording, because their voices appeared the bulk of the time.
They are, of course, also much <I>cheaper</I> to have in the vocal booth than their much higher paid co-stars!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 12th, 2009, 12:18 pm

Regarding the Toy Story 3 trailer, I have a feeling there are a lot of hidden surprises in it. For instance, Buzz's batteries are from Buy n Large.

TheFilmStage.com has some images of Andy's room [1, 2]. In it, I see about 3 - 4 vehicles which could all be new characters for Cars 2.

In the first pic, notice also the poster with the monster. Could that be a new character for the Monsters, Inc. sequel? Meanwhile, I'm trying to decide if the mosquito has any significance. For instance, is it from A Bug's Life or an upcoming Pixar film? Likewise, I wonder what's with the moose, devil (?), and whale. Speaking of which, I see they are all playing a guitar. In fact, there is a lot of guitar-related imagery in Andy's room. Does Pixar have any guitar-related projects in the works?

As for the second pic, I think it features the tiki decoration from the dentist's fish tank in Finding Nemo. Meanwhile, I also see a flag from Pixar University. That almost makes me wonder if, as some rumors suggest...
Andy really does become an animator and ends up reunited his toys, deciding to keep them.
But I'm guessing the flag is simply a cool bit of eye candy for Pixar fans to notice.

Then there's this pic. First, I believe I spot the alligator from Partly Cloudy. There's also a rabbit that looks like Alec in Presto, only the toy is pink. Furthermore, there is an octopus which may somehow be connected to the whale in Andy's room. There are also some caterpillars and a praying mantis that may or may not be connected to the mosquito poster. Plus, the left side of the pic contains a bear and what might be a newt, possibly from The Bear & the Bow and Newt.

Overall, I'm just doing some empty speculating. It may be pointless, but it's fun. :) With that said, there is one more thing to notice about that last pic: the dinosaurs, especially the brontosaurus. Could these dinosaurs be related to a certain future Pixar project?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » October 12th, 2009, 6:26 pm

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/20 ... ailer.html

I think this has been seen already but today was the first time I saw the trailer.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 12th, 2009, 8:03 pm

Lee Unkrich has announced the Toy Story double feature will have an extended run in theaters.

Unkrich also revealed Blake Clark voices Slinky in Toy Story 3. From what I heard in the film's trailer, Clark sounds remarkably similar to Jim Varney.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 9th, 2009, 1:42 pm

Lee Unkrich's latest tweet: "John Lasseter visits the Toy Story 3 scoring stage: The Happiest Christmas Elf. "

http://twitvid.com/6DAF6

GeorgeC

Tons of news about Toy Story & Ghibli future DVD/BDs

Post by GeorgeC » December 11th, 2009, 11:00 pm

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Read the Friday 11th update...

Basically, Toy Story 1 and 2 are debuting on Blu ray the 23rd of March next year... Single-disc DVDs follow May 18th. Doubtful the 3-D theatrical versions will be on those discs. My bet is Disney will wait to see how the technology progresses in future HDTV's and Blu ray players before dipping those versions onto disc (if ever).

Also coming to DVD in March are new 2-disc re-releases of Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, and Kiki's Delivery Service. (I have been noticing those films haven't been in stores much lately...) The new versions are scheduled for March 2nd. I don't think Kiki ever had a two-disc release in the US but I'll have to check my DVD copy to be sure. I know Princess Mononoke never had a deluxe (2-disc) release in the US for sure.

The DVD re-releases in addition to Ponyo (BD and DVD) include The World of Ghibli special features Behind the Studio documentaries. Don't know if these are all the same things or specific to each film. I'd bet a little of both personally.

Sad news is that other than Ponyo, no other BD releases of Ghibli films are planned for the immediate future in the US. The only other Ghibli BD I'm aware of is a compilation of their shorts that haven't been seen outside of Japan/Asia as far as I know.

The other Ghibli films will probably debut on BD in the US as they get re-released on BD in Japan first. Ponyo, to my knowledge, is the only Ghibli feature announced on BD (in either country) as of yet. The Japanese releases are notorious for costing two times the American price so the Japanese home video companies like to delay American releases for at least 3 months to sell as many Japanese units as possible. With the fact that the US and Japan are the same region for BD -- no hardware mods or special players needed(!) --, those delays become more important for Japanese companies wanting to delay reverse-importation...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » December 11th, 2009, 11:18 pm

I'll be buy both on Blu-Ray.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 11th, 2009, 11:36 pm

All of those Ghibli films had two-disc releases previously, with the second disc always being a storyboard verison of the film. The new featurettes sound enticing, but I doubt I'll be double-dipping just for those... at least until Blu-ray versions come available (or if I handle a review copy, of course). For those that don't have them, though, they are all worthwhile.

The old Toy Story DVDs still stand up quite well, but a Blu-ray upgrade is very tempting.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 12th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Double-checked my Kiki DVD. It's a two-disc set.

The only Ghibli film released in the US that wasn't a two-disker was Princess Mononoke...

It'll take a while for all these films to street on Blu ray... They won't receive American BD releases until Japan gets them first.

Other than the nice new cover art for the re-releases -- it adds a bit more class to the releases and unifies the library nicely (!) --, I don't see much difference. I doubt the video transfers will be new or that the new supplements will really introduce new perspectives on the new films. I'd say if you don't have these films already then wait for the new releases next March otherwise stick to what you already have.

I think Tales from Earthsea has the best chance now of being the next Ghibli film to get the Blu ray treatment. According to Wikipedia, "Tales from Earthsea will be released in theatres on July 30, 2010 in North America." That's from the entry for Tales from Earthsea.

Of course, the reason for the delay in the US for Earthsea was the Sci Fi series based on the same cycle of Le Guin novels. Next year is the earliest date that Earthsea can appear in theaters and home video in North America. Lots of other territories/countries have the DVD version out already!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 24th, 2009, 3:57 pm

Now this is cute:

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » December 25th, 2009, 1:41 pm

I read that Pixar might do a dinosaur movie!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Locall » December 25th, 2009, 5:25 pm

I know it's offtopic sorry for that.

But I heard about that aswell, I thought it was about a boy and his dinosaur, and to go a bit on-topic again, the dinosaur (from what I heard) can be seen in the daycare where Woody & Co wind up in TS3 :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 26th, 2009, 2:00 pm

Interesting, wonder if it's true.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » January 2nd, 2010, 10:20 pm

Umm unless I'm very mistaken, Timothy Dalton isn't in either Harry Potter or Enchanted