Tintin

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 2nd, 2010, 1:35 pm

Now, I will admit that the center image (assuming that's Haddock?) isn't as impressive as the rest. BUT we're a year away from release, this isn't moving yet, and don't forget that Jackson issued images of Kong before he got a complete overhaul. So let's have a bit more faith!
Actually, Haddock (and from the shots, assume they're going to work his "Crab with the Golden Claws" origin into the script) is one of the few Jackson-ized characters that DOES work from the shots--
Tintin's blank comic-strip look comes off as more of a 50's department-store mannequin, and Snowy just doesn't look Toto enough.

I kept being reminded of that "real Buzz Lightyear" art someone posted a while ago, of how some stylized characters just shouldn't be un-stylized into the real world.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Tintin: live action or animated?

Post by Darkblade » November 2nd, 2010, 1:58 pm

Why the heck did Speilberg approve of that motion-capture? It looks horrible! Tintin would have been better as a 2D film

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by droosan » November 2nd, 2010, 2:17 pm

Ben wrote:Tin Tin
Ben .. for future reference:

Tintin:

Tin Tin:

Rin Tin Tin:

:wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 2nd, 2010, 5:46 pm

Droo has too much time on his hands.

But he does make the best posts.

:)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 3rd, 2010, 4:16 pm

Sorry Droo!

Although I just did a quick search online and can't find any proof, there was a time when it was Tin Tin! My Dad, originally of French Belgian origin, was a HUGE fan of Herge and had all the books, which I read as a kid. And on those original prints it was often Tin Tin, sometimes Tin-Tin, and Tintin.

Since then I've always flipped/flopped between the two main ones, Tin Tin and Tintin, though it does seem to have been standardized more as Tintin now (doesn't help that some of the original albums have TINTIN in capitals and then Tin Tin when someone said the name). But I'll try and remember to get in line with the Tintin version...odd as that does sometimes feel to me!

As for Snowy...he's not a Toto dog anyhoo, so that wouldn't work. It took me a while to get "used" to him, but he absolutely works as a real dog in the way that the "live-action" Scooby-Doo did not.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » November 3rd, 2010, 4:28 pm

My initial thought when I saw the stills was "Noooooo, not another zombie movie!!!" But we have yet to see them move, so hopefully that isn't the case.

Meh, I'm probably the only person here who would've preferred this as a live-action film. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 3rd, 2010, 4:54 pm

It was all in jest, Ben .. :P

I started reading the Tintin albums in the early 1980's; first as part of assignments for my high-school french class, then as an ardent admirer of their high-adventure and Hergé’s slick draftsmanship .. but in all that time, I've only ever seen Tintin's name depicted as a singular word.

I don't doubt that the space and/or hyphen may have been there in earlier years, however ..
Last edited by droosan on November 3rd, 2010, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 3rd, 2010, 5:04 pm

droosan wrote:It was all in jest, Ben .. :P
Yeah, I know. :)

My Dad had the original French editions from whenever it was, the late 50s or early 60s, and I read them in the 1970s. Since then I guess it's been Tintin (especially in the English translations), but that's why Tin Tin (sometimes TinTin) has always stuck in my mind.

In the reverse way, it's almost the same as how Tinkerbell is now Tinker Bell. I think it's Disney's "secret code" way of distinguishing between Walt's Tinkerbell, and DisneyToons' Tinker Bell franchise!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 3rd, 2010, 11:03 pm

Amazon.co.uk does the same thing, despite cover art to the contrary:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Herges-Adventur ... B000EBEIPI

And check out famousbelgians.com:
http://www.famousbelgians.net/remi.htm

And for more on the controversy:
http://www.tintinologist.org/forums/ind ... topic=2545

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 4th, 2010, 8:32 am

See...I knew I wasn't crazy. And the correct, original Belgian pronunciation is "tantan" (with a short "a"pple sound), so everyone leaning on the "i"/"e" sound is totally wrong anyway! Haha… ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Tintin

Post by ShyViolet » January 2nd, 2011, 2:53 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 2nd, 2011, 4:05 pm

I think we really need to see things in action before we judge too much. I suppose many people will hate it for its mo-cap no matter what, despite the fact that we all mostly loved Gollum in LOTR. But with the talents involved, this film could end up pretty darn fine... if not awesome.

In the meantime, I'm prepping myself be buying the Egmont (not Little Brown) hardcover 3-in1 editions--- yes, they're a little small, but I still find them readable and they're certainly more affordable than buying the individual books. I've read a little Tintin before, but am trying to get a better feel for the character prior to the film coming out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » January 2nd, 2011, 7:51 pm

I don't think mo-cap would have been as iffy if it wasn't for Zemeckis "abuse" or just plain..creepiness.haha. Besides that, I am intrigued by this film and hopefully this seems to have a more mature feel to it? It will be interesting.
Last edited by ELIOLI on January 2nd, 2011, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.elioliart.com/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Tintin

Post by Whippet Angel » January 3rd, 2011, 8:56 am

Well, the characters do have that cartoony look about them, so I guess that should steer us out of Uncanny Valley.

I really hope so... 'Tis a scary place. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 3rd, 2011, 9:49 am

Whatever it looks like, I'm still confident the mo-cap will be more Gollum/Kong/Avatar than Polar Express/Beowulf/Christmas Carol/Mars Needs Moms.

My only worry is that Spielberg couldn't be persuaded to get on a plane and go to Auckland to shoot his stuff, meaning that he ended up creating the mo-cap data at...Sony Imageworks...the same place BZ captures his movement. I'm just praying that the WETA geniuses manage to strip out the crummy Image(we-can't-do-humans)works code and bring it up to their standards.

At the moment, I'd say they were still working on it...but I'm loving the lighting and staging.