Post by Whippet Angel » November 14th, 2011, 10:08 pm

I suspect not. I'll take your word for it. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Tintin

Post by ShyViolet » November 16th, 2011, 4:11 pm

European trailer:

(shows more footage)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 16th, 2011, 10:59 pm

cartoon version: (from the animated series)
:)

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 19th, 2011, 12:42 am

cool poster: (very Indiana Jones-like)

http://entertainment.inquirer.net/files ... Tintin.jpg

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 21st, 2011, 8:06 pm

Article about the world of Tintin and Herge:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 58878.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 22nd, 2011, 5:43 pm

Interesting op-ed on mo-cap:

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... ation.html

I'm kind of torn on whether or not Tintin should be eligible for BAF...true a real actor's performances are "captured" BUT as said before they are enhanced and worked on by digital artists.

It reminds me of arguments when Avatar came out...so much of that movie wasn't just mo-capped but CG animated too. (What about all those creatures?) Cameron's assertion that it wasn't in any way an animated film was close to ridiculous in my opinion, since so much of it was worked on by artists. Zoe Saldana getting nominated for Best Actress is with all due respect even more ridiculous. (I did love her voice performance however.)

Anyway, the debate rages on.... ;)

(One more weird thing I hadn't thought about before: If Tintin is nom'd and so is KFP 2, it'll be Spielberg in a dead-heat race for the Oscar with JK. Talk about unexpected LOL... :P ;) )*

*Not to mention Paramount's Rango, since they distribute DWA films as well.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 27th, 2011, 6:02 pm

Andy Serkis interview on mo-cap (via the TAG blog)

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118046427

There's also a push for him to win an Oscar for Planet of the Apes:

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov/05 ... r-20111105

Serkis getting a nom for his performance as the monkey Caesar no doubt complicates the Tintin issues even more.
Last edited by ShyViolet on November 27th, 2011, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 27th, 2011, 6:06 pm

ShyViolet wrote: Anyway, the debate rages on.... ;)
It does? :? I thought the Academy made a big official declaration of "Mo-cap is live action!" last summer, so they could finally resolve last year's Avatar debate for the rule books, and we didn't have a clue back then at the time what they were talking about.

(Wouldn't mind seeing Tintin for Best Animated in the same way I wouldn't have wanted to see any of Zemeckis's movies up there, but if memory serves, think we've already been overruled.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 27th, 2011, 6:14 pm

According to the TAG blog as well as other sources, the Academy is reevaluating their earlier rules:

In the linked LA times article: (only available through registration)
Steven Spielberg's motion-capture smash poses a real challenge to the five-year reign of Pixar movies.

Pixar's Animated movies have had a prize-winning run at the Golden Globe awards, but this year that run could very well come crashing to an end -- and all because of an intrepid young reporter called Tintin. ...
(EDIT: This excerpt refers to the Globes, but I know there's a debate about the Academy Awards too.) http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononho ... -for-oscar

Like I said, I'm kind of torn on this issue. Actually, I'd like to see Tintin go for Best Pic. All evidence points to a possibility for this. Although if it won it would no doubt bring up even more debate about why this particular film could escape the animation "ghetto" of BAF and films like WALL-E couldn't. (Still can't believe WALL-E didn't get a nomination at the very least.)
Last edited by ShyViolet on November 28th, 2011, 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » November 27th, 2011, 9:29 pm

Glad I'm not the only one confused with why Tintin is a front runner for Best Animated Feature when the Academy came out and said mo cap wasn't animated. Personally I don't understand how they could say it wasn't animation cause it was. Sounds like they were doing a knee jerk reaction to Avatar now that they seem to be backpeddling.

I know the Acadmey has lots of faults but this is one time where it just seems to be changing opinion for no real reason and being unable to stick to their decision. I don't think Avatar was ever going to get nommed for Best Animated Feature UNLESS Cameron thought he could get a bonus golden boy by winning both categories - I dunno. It just seems strange that they came out and said no mocap AFTER Monster House got nommed and BEFORE Avatar could be nommed and now they are going back to mo cap is eligible. Don't even get me started on the original song category.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 28th, 2011, 2:50 pm

Basically, Avatar was a visual effects movie, a hybrid but essentially live-action and mo-cap augmented.

Tintin is an animated movie especially the way Weta creates their images. Unlike Bob Z, who takes the live-action mo-cap and applies it to the CG rigs, Weta use the mo-cap as a basic character reading and referance ONLY. They then keyframe details and create the performances just as Pixar do.

The trouble is that there's different forms of mo-cap. Just check out the legions of credited animators on Tintin and that should tell the Academy all they need to know. I'd LOVE it to win, but if it's not deemed eligable, then the similarly live-action shot reference (but not mo-cap) Rango would be second choice.

Just as long as Cars 2 doesn't even get a nomination! Pixar crossed to the sellout commercial darkside with that...and must be punished! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 28th, 2011, 8:19 pm

Passed the 200$ million mark in Europe:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/11/tintin- ... bandwagon/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » November 29th, 2011, 4:32 pm

Wow, haven't posted here in a while. We are very much looking forward to the movie once it is released over here. in all truth, even if we haven't seen it yet, we are most likely to favor this movie much more over Rango. Hopefully this movie will bring more interest to newer audiences (including us), to the comics! haven't had a good "animated" adventure flick lately...Super pumped for this. Even did some fan art. hah.
http://www.elioliart.com/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » November 29th, 2011, 5:14 pm

I have no problem with mo cap movies getting nominated, it is just a head scratcher to why the Academy made a big fusswhen Avatar was doing the rounds and releasing a statement that mo cap was ineligible. Did anybody honestly ever view it as an animated film, I viewed it like The Chipmunks or The Smurfs. A live action movie with visual effects? I would have also had no issues if A Christmas Carol or The Polar Express got nominated.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 30th, 2011, 4:46 am

I guess, at the end of the day, I wouldn't have a problem with Carol or Polar getting nominated. Their worlds are fully animated after all and it's more a question of good animation vs. bad animation (guess which is which)!

Just as long as either of those two films didn't win, of course! ;)