Shrek

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 31st, 2007, 3:26 pm

I hope that scenario doesn't happen. 5 movies is more than enough. That, combined with a Puss spin-off, christmas special, etc.... Even I think its to much! (Well, maybe just a little. ;))

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 31st, 2007, 9:49 pm

(I mean the not so great ones like Land Before Time, etc...Wink)

Sad
Sorry Dan, I know you like a lot of the DTV's and I really respect that, as not everyone can get over there prejedices of DTV's to really, fully give them a chance and see the efforts of the artists involved.

Anyway, I can't really judge the LBT series as I've only seen the first one anyway....:? (I mean the theatrical film)

:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 31st, 2007, 10:03 pm

Wow, Shrek 3 was pretty bad. I didn't hate it, but it definitally felt like a direct to dvd movie. I wouldn't go see it or again or get it on dvd when it comes out like I would have for the other two.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 1st, 2007, 9:42 am

Ouch, Mac! :)

I'm still waiting here in the UK for the end of the month. I don't have big expectations for this, despite some enthusiastic comments and the box office, so will probably end up liking it.

But I'm not expecting a lot.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 1st, 2007, 6:46 pm

I think you'll be surprised Ben. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 1st, 2007, 10:42 pm

Kinda interesting (if brief) Chris Miller interview from New Straits Times (Malaysia)

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/ ... index_html

The one on Animated-Views is way better, though. :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 2nd, 2007, 3:01 am

Thanks for pointing out the New Straits Times piece, Vi. I'm always interested in hearing some more of Chris' thoughts. Likewise, thanks for the compliment! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 2nd, 2007, 3:26 am

Wow, you weren't kidding, Vi. That interview was so short. Josh's really is the better of the two! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 2nd, 2007, 4:01 pm

Thanks for pointing out the New Straits Times piece, Vi. I'm always interested in hearing some more of Chris' thoughts. Likewise, thanks for the compliment! Smile

My pleasure Josh! :)

Also, love your avatar sig, Dan. It's just so big and colorful! :P :wink:

When I see it, it reminds me of how I heard on one of the Simpsons commentaries that Homer's character was the first TV character ever to wear regular brief underpants rather than just "boxers" or "boxers with hearts" or whatever. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 3rd, 2007, 2:13 am

Nah, its ok. And thanks, Vi, that means a lot coming from you! :)
ShyViolet wrote:Anyway, I can't really judge the LBT series as I've only seen the first one anyway....:? (I mean the theatrical film)
:|

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 3rd, 2007, 6:36 pm

I skimmed this article. None too original thesis, but interesting to read:

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/c ... nema_denby

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 3rd, 2007, 6:45 pm

The characters in the “Shrek” series may resemble rubber bathtub toys, but DreamWorks’ computer-generated imagery, with its three-dimensional look, gives them shadows and weight as they fling themselves hither and yon into distant castle-strewn perspectives. By contrast, the brilliant “Paprika,” directed by Satoshi Kon—a masterly example of Japanese anime, intended for adults—is partly hand drawn, and features multiple areas of visual activity layered at different distances from the picture plane.

Give me a break. I've never "LOVED" the animation in Shrek, particularly the stiff human characters (more of an OTH/Madagascar fan as far as "look" goes) but IMHO there's more human expression and emotion in Shrek and Donkey than there is in 99.9% of most Anime characters, who all mostly look the same to me.

I downloaded the trailer for Paprika and while I was impressed with the acid-trip Akira-like imagery, (the story also looks amazing) the human expressions on the character's faces looked exactly like every other Anime pic I've seen.

The animation in Shrek is supposed to be "fun"--maybe not technically brilliant or advanced but just fun to watch. I don't see why it's such a crime. :? I think Charming is a little boring to watch, but his character was SO funny that it made up for it. :)

I'm the first person to champion hand-drawn (I'd love it if DW did Shrek 4 and Shrek 5 in 2d) but I don't feel that Anime is, by and large, a very good representation of what hand-drawn can accomplish and the places it can take us. Some is of course, and since I haven't seen Paprika, I'm not going to make any judgment on the film, just on the look I saw in the trailer I downloaded. I love the "weird" FX and the cool sci-fi premise but the character's faces look like the usual big-eyes model Anime has been using since the days of Kimba. The movie looks fun. The characters--not so much. :?

Set in a business world of long white corridors and glass walls and research labs, it’s a Freudian-Jungian-Felliniesque sci-fi thriller, and an outright challenge to American viewers, who may, in the face of its whirligig complexity, feel almost pea-brained. Paprika, the heroine, is an eighteen-year-old sprite—a kind of sexy Japanese Tinker Bell—who enters people’s dreams as a form of therapy.
How original. Anime departing from its usual female heroine to depict "an 18 year old sexy Japanese Tinkerbell." And the whole entering people's dreams as a form of therapy thing was done twice before in film (at least by my count): The Cell, starring Jennifer Lopez, and DreamScape (1983) starring Dennis Quaid, an excellent sci-fi film.

Shrek the Third is by no means a perfect film, (definitely running a bit short on plot compared to 1 and 2) but I had a great time watching it; it had a good story and I liked the characters. Some jokes were dumb, but some were hilarious. IMHO Shrek tells a fun, original fairy tale while gently, and sometimes not so gently, skewering the ones we know. But that doesn't make it "evil." :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 4th, 2007, 12:01 am

ShyViolet wrote:Also, love your avatar sig, Dan. It's just so big and colorful! :P :wink:
Thanks! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » June 4th, 2007, 1:04 am

Ben wrote:Ouch, Mac! :)

I'm still waiting here in the UK for the end of the month. I don't have big expectations for this, despite some enthusiastic comments and the box office, so will probably end up liking it.

But I'm not expecting a lot.
In that case you will like it just right.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » June 4th, 2007, 5:37 am

ShyViolet wrote:Shrek the Third is by no means a perfect film, (definitely running a bit short on plot compared to 1 and 2) but I had a great time watching it; it had a good story and I liked the characters. Some jokes were dumb, but some were hilarious. IMHO Shrek tells a fun, original fairy tale while gently, and sometimes not so gently, skewering the ones we know. But that doesn't make it "evil." :?
I second that. Shrek 3 wasn't as good as 1 and 2. Lacked in parts but I enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprised after reading all the bad reviews about it. It had some very funny moments. I didn't feel like I was waiting for it to end or wanting to tear out my eyes.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome