Shrek

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » May 14th, 2007, 12:14 pm

It's a desperate marketing push to get the audience excited to see Shrek 3, using weirdy cuties greeny baby...

... sad to see Shrek turn into cuteness to sell the movie, wasn't he supposed to make fun of this crap? ? ?
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 14th, 2007, 8:44 pm

Last edited by ShyViolet on May 14th, 2007, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 14th, 2007, 8:47 pm

Also: so far on RT: four reviews: three mostly positive, (all three fresh) one negative--but not "SharkTale negative." :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 15th, 2007, 2:36 am

Ben wrote:But then, if Shrek 3 don't sell, we won't get a fourth, because that's the way it works...
I'm pretty sure Shrek 4 is deep in production right now, along with a Puss In Boots DTV 'spin-off'. No matter what sort of business Shrek the Third does, I think both of those are too far along to 'stop'.

I kind of hope they do stop after Shrek 4/Puss, though .. if only for the sake of those artists at the PDI campus in Northern California; they had an amazing first movie with Antz (nearly 10 years ago!) .. but ever since then, it's been nothing but Shrek:!:

----------------

I'll be seeing Shrek the Third this evening, at an ASIFA-Hollywood screening. 8) I'm hoping to enjoy it! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 15th, 2007, 3:35 am

Your so lucky, droo! Hope you enjoy it! :)

Ayhoo, has anyone seen the Shrek promotion at McDonald's? The toys are cute! I got Shrek, and they really did a good job on him. They also have cool collectible glasses. Here's a pic of all 4.

http://www.ronaldbdayfun.com/promotions.html

I got Fiona! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 15th, 2007, 6:04 am

Ahhhh, now I want a Shrek cup!! :) I think I really want a Puss or an Ogre Babies one. :wink:

I kind of hope they do stop after Shrek 4/Puss, though .. if only for the sake of those artists at the PDI campus in Northern California; they had an amazing first movie with Antz (nearly 10 years ago!) .. but ever since then, it's been nothing but ShrekExclamation

Didn't PDI-DreamWorks also work on Madagascar, if I'm not mistaken?
But I do agree, I hope they stop after 4 as well. :?

I'll be seeing Shrek the Third this evening, at an ASIFA-Hollywood screening. Cool I'm hoping to enjoy it!

Have a great time! :wink: Maybe you could post on it like you did on MTR? :) Thanks ahead of time. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 15th, 2007, 7:01 am

Bobbie Fleckman: "Money talks and ******** walks" :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 15th, 2007, 8:44 am

Can someone tell me what an Ogre Baby is???? www.ogrebabies.com
An ogre baby is the child of two ogres.

:wink:
Last edited by ShyViolet on May 15th, 2007, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 15th, 2007, 9:53 am

80% so far....well, there's only like 5 reviews but still....:wink:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/shrek_the_third/

One thing a critic said, and I agree, is that Shrek has less impact now....BUT a big part of that is 'cause SO MANY have copied it since!! :? :roll:

There's a real backlash towards CGI animals now....so hopefully critics will see Shrek as "Oh, good, at least it's not another "buddy animals thing."

Well, OK, a fairy tale spoof yes--but Shrek was the first. And no matter how you feel about it....there's no denying it's better than HNA or other such knock-offs. (Can't speak for Hoodwinked since I didn't see it--but you can't deny that Shrek looks better, no matter how much you hate the look of Shrek. :wink:)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 15th, 2007, 10:03 am

Too much, Vi.

Sit down before you hurt yourself. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 15th, 2007, 10:06 am

Sorry...:)

Either way, even if critics savage it or it bombs....whatever. :roll: Nothing anyone can do about that. Maybe it's just run its course.

If it does bomb, or does badly critically, I'm not going to get all upset...what're you gonna do? Either people like it or don't like it. :?

But I still do feel Shrek does that fairy tale spoof thing better than anyone else. :) :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 15th, 2007, 10:12 am

Yes, it probably does. But there's also "the marketplace" and when the leader starts to become lost in that marketplace they either need to get out or change their wares.

DWs, with Shrek, is doing neither, and thus will start to tarnish their franchise.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 15th, 2007, 9:40 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Ahhhh, now I want a Shrek cup!! :) I think I really want a Puss or an Ogre Babies one. :wink:
Why not collect them all? You know you want to! ;)
ShyViolet wrote:Maybe you could post on it like you did on MTR? :)
Which reminds me, I had a dream about what droo would write. Weired, huh?

Anyway he said something like, "Shrek The Third was alright, could've been much better. More-or-less like the original, (and here's the funny part) he went on to say, "ShyViolet regardless, will like it because its DW, likewise Daniel will love it, because its a sequel!"

Doesn't sound like droo, because he wouldn't jab at Vi. Me on the other hand, yeah. ;)

Lets see what droo's "real" opinion will be!
ShyViolet wrote:(Can't speak for Hoodwinked since I didn't see it--
You need to rent it, Vi! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 16th, 2007, 2:51 am

Which reminds me, I had a dream about what droo would write. Weired, huh?

Anyway he said something like, "Shrek The Third was alright, could've been much better. More-or-less like the original, (and here's the funny part) he went on to say, "ShyViolet regardless, will like it because its DW, likewise Daniel will love it, because its a sequel!"

Doesn't sound like droo, because he wouldn't jab at Vi. Me on the other hand, yeah. Wink

Lets see what droo's "real" opinion will be!

Ha ha...that's hysterical. :lol: Hmmm.....I wonder what his real opinion will be too! :)

Why not collect them all? You know you want to! Wink
Maybe I will! I love McD's, I have to admit. But....is it the Happy Meal or do you have to pay for it separately? :?:

You need to rent it, Vi! Smile

I know....there's a ton of stuff I have to rent...but as this is animation, it's higher up on the list, so hopefully soon! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 16th, 2007, 4:04 am

I liked it! :)

It's not as 'strong', storywise, as Shrek 2 .. but there are many genuinely funny moments and scenes .. and (somewhat surprisingly), much of the humor is character-based; the 'pop-culture' references and top-40 songs are still there .. but it definitely felt like there was less of those, this time around.

There did seem to be a conscious effort to give each of the characters from the previous films (and there are a lot of them, now!) a 'moment' in the spotlight. And, of course, there's a slew of new characters, now, too! The princesses were kinda fun; especially Cinderella (who has a crazy Jan Brady 'talking to herself' thing going on, in some scenes :lol: ).

Arthur was a bit of a quandry. He starts off as a somewhat 'sympathetic' character when we first meet him .. but over the course of the story he is, by turns, annoyingly 'angsty' or superficially 'hammy'; he doesn't seem to be 'king' material .. but that doesn't seem to be a problem of much real concern; he is mostly the 'macguffin' which Shrek, Donkey, and Puss go in search of.

Prince Charming as the 'heavy' this time around .. well, he's nowhere near as threatening as the cold-blooded Fairy Godmother, nor even the calculating Farquaad .. which is why he has a literal army of henchmen, I suppose. Rupert Everett does a great job with the voice, but he really isn't much more than a 'himbo' .. and his ultimate 'evil plan' seems much too easily defeated. Actually, Charming and Arthur look so much alike, that I thought it would eventually be revealed that they were related .. but that was not to be.

As I said, though, there are plenty of great, funny sequences sprinkled throughout, which ultimately are what 'make' the movie. I've never heard so much laughing during a death scene, before .. bit it is very funny! A surreal dream sequence and a certain character's 'flashback' also got huge laughs.

There's also a lot of great, expressive animation .. the characters from previous films have definitely benefitted from the rapid advances of CG animation technology. But it still takes a keen human eye for detail to bring a character to 'life' .. and PDI/Dreamworks definitely has some top-notch talent in that department. There's still a little bit of 'uncanny valley' to the human characters; but I chalk most of that up to the realistic character designs.

All in all, as I said, a 'fun' film. It should do pretty well at the box office. :)

ShyViolet regardless, will like it because its DW, likewise Daniel will love it, because its a sequel! :lol: