Shrek

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Shrek Forever After

Post by LotsoA113 » May 21st, 2010, 8:26 pm

Alright here's my mini-review.

Saw it in 3D and it didn't really add much like it did with Alice, Dragon and Avatar. It just felt like a cash in. Wish it could've been better.

The good thing is that Shrek IS aggresive in this 'un. He also acts like his old self and the film is actually about him. The finale is much better than the last one, Eddie Murphy sounds less refrained (he actually gets some GREAT lines here), Puss is, of course, terrific and the animation looks very nice. Rumplestiltsken is also funny here, much better than the previews suggest otherwise. I also liked all the callbacks to the the original 3 films. That was nice touch.

However, I don't see the point of the kids. They still look creepy and are missing for 9/10 of the movie. Rumple and a little boy called (rightfully) Butter Boy are the only good new characters. The ogres look good but have no real purpose in the film. None of thenew characters do anything in the film. I kind of thought Brogan (Joe Hamm) would become a love triangle between Fiona and Shrek. Alas, it was not to be! Some new witches are also wasted. I also felt
Mabel and Doris being in the film was pointless. They were so quickly in and out it was pointless. Also, I thought Gingy would do more since he got his own poster. Loved the idea of a Gladiator like scene with him and some animals crackers (WERE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED???), but he was quickly eaten by Puss In Boots. Now THAT was morbid.

The film is better than the third film, but they still aren't even close to the first two. One last thing,
at the end, when Shrek is putting up the book called Shrek that tells all 4 of the movies (callback to the original, y'know), next to the book is a small book called Puss In Boots. Will Shrek discover this book, leading to Puss In Boots the film next year? I wonder.... :?
Oh and it's called Shrek: We're Sorry For The Third Round. Just kidding. It's Shrek Forever After.
Last edited by LotsoA113 on May 22nd, 2010, 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 21st, 2010, 9:19 pm

Going to see this tomorrow. I want to like it, I really do. But then, we can't always get what we want. We shall see...
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 21st, 2010, 10:05 pm

Just wondering if someone who has seen the film can confirm or deny the following characters making an appearance.

Arthur
Lancelot
Guenivere
Merlin
Lord Faarquaard
Fairy Godmother
Prince Charming

It's more just a curiousity issue and I don't want to sit through the movie wondering IF they are going to make an appearance, I'd rather knmow upfront that there is no chance that person will appear.

And I notice on Amazon there is a release of the Score soundtrack, is there are song soundtrack being released this time?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » May 22nd, 2010, 8:35 am

All those characters are in the credits, but are not in the film
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ohmahaaha » May 22nd, 2010, 12:59 pm

Bill1978 wrote:It's more just a curiousity issue and I don't want to sit through the movie wondering IF they are going to make an appearance, I'd rather knmow upfront that there is no chance that person will appear.
If you're sitting there for 90 minutes wondering if such & such is going to appear, then the movie makers have failed ... you should just like sit & enjoy regardless.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 22nd, 2010, 6:46 pm

Just got home from seeing this and I loved it. This is what the third film should have been. However, I still think Shrek 2 is the best Dreamworks film, if only because it has, IMO, one of the best climaxes in cinema history (starting with the line "We're going to need flour. Lots and lots of flour").

Dreamworks has now done four good movies in a row (Kung Fu Panda, Monsters VS Aliens, How to Train Your Dragon and this) and Megamind looks great. I hope their streak continues for a long time. I know they can do good work and it frustrates me when they don't.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » May 22nd, 2010, 8:11 pm

Might want to prepare for frustration--MM still looks like they're selectively showing us the "good half" before the plot kicks in.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 23rd, 2010, 5:49 am

Thanks for that Lotso. And ohmahaaha, I'm sure I can sitt through this thing and potentially enjoy it, but just like with any other sequel it sits in the back of my mind if someone is going to pop up. It's kinda like when a T V series ends, will some past character make a cameo appearance. Doesn't mean the story is boring, it just means I would like to see them again.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Re:

Post by Ben » May 24th, 2010, 6:46 am

EricJ wrote:And the final "It ain't Ogre..." release poster still says TFC--
Nope, actually, it still said "Forever After". You need to read the contractual credit small print (as I keep saying). On ALL the posters, that's never changed!

Anyway, we know now...and surprise, surprise...it's "Shrek Forever After". I stand vindicated! ;)

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » May 24th, 2010, 1:28 pm

I just read the fourth movie did not do well at the Box Office.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Locall » May 24th, 2010, 2:18 pm

Article by BoxOfficeMojo

Shrek Forever After debuted far, far below the mighty starts of some of its predecessors, grossing an estimated $71.3 million on approximately 9,500 screens at 4,359 locations, which was the broadest launch ever for an animated movie.

Shrek the Third still holds the record for highest-grossing animated opening with $121.6 million, followed by Shrek 2 at $108 million and The Simpsons Movie at $74 million. Shrek Forever After ranks fourth on that list, although, in terms of estimated attendance, it would barely make the Top 20.

Audience erosion was to be expected for Shrek Forever After, given the historic difficulty in maintaining attention for a blockbuster franchise over time combined with the mixed reception for Shrek the Third. However, opening 41 percent lower than last movie despite the 3D ticket price boost was alarmingly severe. In terms of attendance, the slip was even more extreme: down 59 percent.

Shrek Forever After played at a record number of 3D sites (2,373), which accounted for 61 percent of business. Included in that was a record IMAX site count (194), and IMAX made up seven percent of the gross. The 3D and IMAX ticket price premiums added around $13 million. That means Forever After may have had the least-attended opening yet for a Shrek movie. Though the first movie's debut was the lowest-grossing at $42.3 million, that was the equivalent of an estimated 7.5 million tickets or more than Forever After's estimate.

Though redubbed "The Final Chapter" by its marketing, Shrek Forever After came off as just another Shrek to moviegoers. Pushing an alternate version of the characters amounted to a fantasia on the franchise, but it didn't appear to move the story forward, appealing mostly to the core audience and few else. The campaign banked on 3D to give the movie extra kick, but 3D is not a draw in and of itself. It's shown to be mostly a revenue enhancer, and the movies themselves are the real attractions. If a movie doesn't seem special like Forever After, the 3D price premium may even be a deterrent.

Distributor Paramount Pictures' exit polling indicated that 59 percent of Shrek Forever After's audience was female and 56 percent was under 25 years old.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » May 24th, 2010, 5:55 pm

Interesting. But that's what you get when you have a bad third chapter AND try to milk things too far.

Oh, Ben. Maybe you haven't seen the film yet..but if you have, give us ONE word to describe the film. For me it would be Better

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 25th, 2010, 7:41 am

I'll catch Shrek at somepoint. I still need to see Dragon!

I've kind of given up going to the movies except for stuff I'm really, really keen on seeing. I just can't be bothered with the eating, the talking, the cell phone lights, the cell phones going off, more talking (on cell phones), rude people, other people translating entire scenes to other people, soft focus, wrong framing, bad prints, 20+minutes of commercials and trailers (and then not the trailers you were hoping to see), and the prices (now inflating again because of 3D screens, which I don't really even like).

So...rather than spend a lot of money on parking, tickets, food, I'm finding that I'm waiting just a couple of months longer to watch a better defined Blu-ray Disc on my home theater set-up, without those distractions and in the company of friends who are as interested in watching the movie as I am.

But I may well try and get out to see Shrek 4ever After (I can't believe Katz & Co didn't play that title trick after Madagascar) before it vanishes.

From what I've heard, though, "better" does seem to be the word. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by droosan » May 25th, 2010, 2:25 pm

Ben wrote:I'll catch Shrek at somepoint. I still need to see Dragon!
Shrek Forever After was #1 in the U.S. box office last weekend, while How to Train Your Dragon (in its 8th week of release!) was #9.

That's right: Dreamworks Animation has two animated features in the top-ten box-office, at the same time! 8)

There have been other occasions with two animated features in the top ten .. but never before have both come from the same studio. Congrats to everyone at DreamWorks! :mrgreen:

-----------

I enjoyed Shrek Forever After quite a bit .. it was a much better movie than The Third .. and a satisfying 'Final Chapter' to the franchise (assuming it remains such).

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 25th, 2010, 6:27 pm

Ben pretty much echoes my sentiments, too.

What's the point of bothering with the theater experience most of the time?

It's expensive, inconvenient to many people, and in the end you can enjoy things more cozily and cheaper at home, too!

The films that have been coming out lately.... not so good.

I'm really not looking forward to more sequels and the summer looks like a yawn-fest so far.

Most of the noteworthy big-tent films have come out already. I haven't even seen Iron Man 2 yet, let alone many of the films that were released earlier in the year.

(Probably will catch Tales of Undersea in August. Not much else has captured my interest.)

I really don't know that I'm going to bother with Toy Story 3 to be honest. 2 was enough for me.

I even skipped the Toy Story BDs because the last 2 DVD releases (and especially the Ultimate Story Toy Box!) were far superior...

The good news is really coming on the home video front with releases of The Man With No Name Trilogy on Blu ray and a couple of other goodies later in the year.