Woody Woodpecker

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 12th, 2007, 12:13 pm

Gotta admit, I got a chuckle out of the name. It is a little to close for comfort, but "Animated" is better!

And I know, we were PROMISED! What gives? I just hope its on a couple of shorts and not half of the set.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Michael » July 12th, 2007, 1:05 pm

I just found this board from the referrals on my sitemeter (Cartoon News and Views is my blog). Jeez! I'd never run into this board until just now. The really bad part is that I was really close to calling my site "Animation News and Views" but then I decided that cartoon sounded better. It's a really new blog, so if I can come up with something better I may just change the name... :oops:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 13th, 2007, 3:17 am

"I can't help but feel partly responsible" -- Bart Simpson.

;)

Well, that explains everything! Though, it is a little random, how you joined the day after I posted a link to your blog.

But hey, it was just coincidence. No harm, no foul. Dunno what Ben (the mod) will say, but I hope he's ok with it. Because personally, I don't have an issue with your blogs name. It is a little close, but I think it works. Your blog is great, though! Love the banner!

By the way, welcome, Michael...hope you stick around! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 13th, 2007, 1:30 pm

Welcome, Michael.

We're always looking for new people to run with items here on the main site as we undertake a mission to explore new worlds, so maybe you'd be interested in joining us?

As a pretty wide read couple of sites, I <I>did</I> think the name was a little too close for comfort! ;)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 24th, 2007, 7:32 pm

Gee, nobody else bought the boxset today? :oops:

... and here I thought most of us were CLASSIC animation fans as opposed to strictly CONTEMPORARY animation? 8)

Nah,

I haven't had the chance to look at the set either. Kind of an impulse buy, too. :wink:

Also a good week to get Justice League Seasons 1 and 2 at Best Buy. They're having a special on both seasons. $19.99 each through the 28th of July.

Had to get Season 2 of JLA. By far the best JLA season after the JLU sets.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 24th, 2007, 9:15 pm

My Woody set will be arriving in a larger Amazon shipment in a couple of weeks. No time to watch it now anyways, as I have some reviews to write up. But I can hardly wait to see it!

... and just a week 'til Popeye!!!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 25th, 2007, 8:29 am

Got my email saying my pre-order was shipped!

George...it's harder for Rand and myself to walk into a Wal-Mart (if it's even selling there) and pick one up, much as I'd love to! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 25th, 2007, 8:45 am

I bought the Woody Woodpecker & Friends boxed set at midnight on Tuesday, and spent most of yesterday morning, and this morning, watching it. :)

I wasn't aware that I needed to 'announce' this, though. :P :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 25th, 2007, 8:59 am

Oh yeah, droo, we all need to show our true colors! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 26th, 2007, 3:25 am

Sorry for bothering you again, but how's the packaging, droo?

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 26th, 2007, 5:17 am

Packaging looks to be a bit better than what WB uses for their Looney Tunes and Justice League sets, Daniel.

Although it's one of those cardboard multi-disc flippy sets, it has a faux wood appearance that shows through the slits in the exterior slipcase. Perhaps the only bad thing is that the disc slip through the BOTTOM of the slipcase rather than through the side like the WB sets.

Despite complaints about the "public domain" appearance of Woody Woodpecker on the packaging, in my opinion it's actually a smart looking piece of packaging.

(I dunno. Lots of artists complain about packaging. I sometimes wonder if they're not upset because THEY didn't get the assignment to design the exteriors! There about as many big-name artists who SCREW UP designs like like this as there are anonymous artists in the licensing divisions of companies who actually produce this artwork.)

I picked up my set at Best Buy for $29.99 this week.

Here's hoping next week's first Popeye set release is as reasonably priced!

P.S. -- I really got this set for the late '40s Freddie Moore-era Woody Woodpecker and 1950s Tex Avery shorts. Those are the Lantz-produced cartoons that I like. The rest I'm sure okay -- it's really the later era sanitized Woody and ultra-cheaply animated 50's and 60's Lantz cartoons that I don't much care for.

What appears on this set seems to be much of the creme of the crop, though.

Wish I could say I got a chance to actually some of these, though! :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 26th, 2007, 2:06 pm

Ah, ok. Sounds good. Thanks, George! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kurtis » August 6th, 2007, 1:55 am

FYI: There is a different package of this set in some retailers. Here in Canada I have found this set at Superstore and HMV in a case similar to the King of the Hill sets (Three slim jewel cases) and the cover has no cutouts.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kurtis » August 7th, 2007, 2:07 pm

I was at Best Buy (in Canada) yesterday and it has the three slim jewel cases too. Looks like Canada is getting a different set.

Has anyone received their amazon order? Which packaging did you get? I want the fold out packaging so amazon may be the route to go.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 7th, 2007, 2:33 pm

I got mine from Amazon.com, shipping from the US and mine came with the deluxe digipak glossy foldout and the slipcover with cutouts.

I think the price went back up, but it's worth it.

BTW, when you say "jewel cases", do you mean the regular-sized DVD cases that are slimmer ("thinpaks") or actual CD-sized jewel cases? If it's the CD cases, that pretty much sucks right there. :(