Woody Woodpecker

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Woody Woodpecker

Post by GeorgeC » April 10th, 2007, 12:30 pm

Here's hoping Universal DOESN'T manage to screw up the DVD set release coming in the summer.

Oh boy... Hope they found and used the RIGHT negatives for the set!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 10th, 2007, 12:34 pm

Finally, though I wouldn't put it past them to reuse the TimeLife collection editions, which were really the 1950s/60s TV versions of most of the prints, with a few exceptions.

Anyhoo...any more details? Is it a one off set/disc, or a collection of volumes a la the TimeLife collection (10 or 20 discs I think).

I may snag some of these, as it's the best we're likely to get.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 10th, 2007, 2:20 pm

Were not suppose to be talking about this! Or so I heard. The person who revieled this info a little while ago (Jerry Beck) wasn't suppose to, and now eveyone is keeping their lips sealed. Hope he doesn't get into to much trouble. :(

EDIT: nevermind, just saw the front page. Guess its ok, now the they officialy announced it. Can never be to cautious, right? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 10th, 2007, 4:19 pm

Anyway, here's the cover art from Cartoon Brew!
And here's what Jerry wrote.
Guess Who?

I'm very happy to announce that Universal is releasing The Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Cartoon Collection on July 24th. This new DVD collection includes three discs containing 75 theatrical cartoons, completely uncut and restored from the original Universal Pictures master negatives (and I promise, no DVNR). It'll retail at $39.98.

In addition to the first 45 Woody Woodpecker cartoons presented in original release order from Knock Knock (1940) to The Great Who Dood It (1952), the first five Chilly Willy cartoons (which includes two Tex Avery classics), and five choice Andy Panda cartoons, there will be several Swing Symphonies (including Culhane's Abu Ben Boogie and The Greatest Man In Siam, among others), Oswald Rabbit ( Confidence, Hell's Heels, Oscar nominee Merry Old Soul and others) and wartime cartoons (like Pigeon Patrol and Pass The Biscuits Mirandy ).

That's not all. Miscellanous Walter Lantz Cartunes (like Hysterical High Spots in American History, Pooch the Pup in King Klunk, Peterkin in Scrambled Eggs, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B and the Avery masterpieces, Crazy Mixed Up Pup and SHH H H H H ) plus bonus material including six Behind-the-Scenes with Walter Lantz segments from the 1957 Woody Woodpecker Show and the rarely seen Halloween TV special Spook a Nanny.

And there's more. I'll impart further information in future posts, but for now let's just say our friends at Universal did this one right. Plan on adding this to your collection you won't regret it.
Wow, just wow. 75 cartoons is not bad at all.

Universal did indeed do this one right, and it was well worth the wait!

By the way, I like the cover art! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » April 10th, 2007, 6:23 pm

I'm so glad I can finally toss away my rotting VHS tapes and put them in a retirement home. (garbage bag)

Yes Daniel, 75 cartoons.:D
From what information we have,
this looks way better then The Looney Tunes Golden collection!!

Looney Tunes never really got the treatment they deserved on DVD :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 10th, 2007, 10:09 pm

This set.... sounds... amazing.

Awesome news! Great price, too.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 10th, 2007, 10:25 pm

Ben wrote:Finally, though I wouldn't put it past them to reuse the TimeLife collection editions, which were really the 1950s/60s TV versions of most of the prints, with a few exceptions.

BINGO!

This is exactly what I'm concerned about.

I'm still suspicious we'll end up with yet another cl*ster-fD*(&F()! like we did with Tom & Jerry Spotlight Collections Volumes 1 and 2 --- DVD sets that promise the ORIGINAL, UNCUT THEATRICAL FILMS but deliver edited-for-TV prints!

I'm waiting until the reviews come in for this set BEFORE I put money down on it.

I just don't trust the studios anymore.

I've been burned too many times in the past five years to count!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 11th, 2007, 2:28 am

Yeah, I am to, too a lesser extant. Mainly because, I never did purchase those Tom & Jerry sets. Which, just to be clear, there's also something wrong with Vol. 2? Darn it! :(

And I really don't think it will be the case, here. Seems to much input from Jerry and others to merry such thing.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 11th, 2007, 2:51 pm

75 cartoons and all those extras on just THREE discs?

It's FLIPPER-TIME folks! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kurtis » June 11th, 2007, 11:25 am

Hello everyone! I'm a first time poster on your wonderful forum!

I'm glad so hear that so many people are excited about this Woody Woodpecker release! I am too!

But I am wondering why you would choose not to buy this release if they are home video prints or edited? You would rather have no Woody Woodpecker cartoons?

Just because a couple of the cartoons on the Tom & Jerry DVDs are edited you would rather have no Tom & Jerry DVDs?

I was not old enough to be a collector when Laserdisc and VHS was around so I do not have the collections that some of you have so I rely on these DVD releases to see these cartoons. Please keep in mind that if many people boycott these DVD releases then they will stop making them beacuase sales will be too low! And while I do want the studios to do them right (I HATE DVNR!), I would rather have a DVD set with VHS transfer than no DVD at all.

BTW, this is what Jerry Beck said about the Woody set on cartoonbrew:
This new DVD collection includes three discs containing 75 theatrical cartoons, completely uncut and restored from the original Universal Pictures master negatives (and I promise, no DVNR).
Sorry about this harsh first post. I don't want to make enemies right away! I want to be friends!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 11th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Jerry's quoute is what's made us excited! But I'm still fearing flipper discs!

Welcome! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kurtis » June 11th, 2007, 4:31 pm

Me too. The Harveytoons DVD set was a disaster. Flip discs was only one of the flaws.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 11th, 2007, 7:56 pm

Owning the Harveytoon set, I couldn't agree with you more. Flipper discs, no episode listings, not containing every cartoon of that show, etc... Horrid job. The only plus is the packaging! The good thing is, I got it used at GameStop for 15$! :)

Btw, welcome to the boards, Toast!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 11th, 2007, 8:27 pm

I have the 15-volume Columbia House Woody Woodpecker DVD set .. which I am definitely hanging on to, until the 'details' on the new set are known. The CH set has its own flaws, to be sure, but as Toast says, it's far preferable to having 'no' Woody Woodpecker cartoons on DVD.

Walter Lantz' cartoons never got much exposure on Laserdisc; I only have one Woody Woodpecker disc which features 14 (or so) Woody cartoons. I don't recall whether any Andy Panda, Chilly Willy, or Oswald toons ever made it onto LD ..

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 12th, 2007, 6:49 am

I could be wrong but I remember a Lantz anthology type set tha had a mix of Woody, Andy and Chilly cartoons on it (LD) but I never saw any Oswalds...even from Lantz I would have snapped that up.

Rodney here who reviews on the site has the Columbia House WW volumes. If I wasn't stuck in the UK I would have gotten them too, but the rip-off eBay prices were'nt worth it and then they didn't complete the series.

If I did own that series, I'd hold on to them for the alternate versions and TV show segments anyway, since both releases are sure to differ in various ways.