Woody Woodpecker

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 7th, 2007, 2:40 pm

He probably means thinpaks, Ben.

Almost nobody but the really cheapie fly-by-night outfits uses CD jewel cases for DVDs anymore.

Even the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD casing appears to be a spin-off of the DVD thinpak. I think pretty soon most releases will be that slightly thicker thinpak variety simply because stores want to be able to fit more product out on the shelves. That's why most newer boxsets uses thinpaks.

I kinda prefer the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD casing myself. Not as thick and space-consuming as a regular DVD case, but nowhere near as flimsy as a mediocre quality brand thinpak.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kurtis » August 7th, 2007, 2:42 pm

Thanks George. I do mean the thinkpaks. I just had no idea what they were called.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 7th, 2007, 3:06 pm

Cool. Yep, I was guessing that too, but just wanted to be sure because if they <I>were</I> using jewel cases, that really would have been cheap!

I'm guessing this is like Universal's Quantum Leap or WB's TV sets like Tales From The Crypt then.

Yep, Kurtis, spend the extra and get the Amazon digipak while you know they're still sending them out in that way. I would imagine that the thinpak version allows for the English/French translated packaging, hence the difference (that's just a guess).

But the digipak is WELL worth it. As I said on the front page it is as if Universal had a regime change. Ahh, just need them to go HD format neutral now and my plan for world domination will be complete!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 7th, 2007, 11:57 pm

I preordered the Woody set from Amazon.com exactly because I was concerned about the packaging, and looks like I was right! At the time, I had no idea what the US packaging would be like, but I wasn't taking any chances. As a Canadian, I'm getting weary of different packaging on our releases, usually to accomodate unnecessarily bilingual text. Add to the fact that Canadian prices are getting too high considering our dollar is now almost on par with the US dollar, and I've been ordering more and more from Amazon's US store.

My Woody set will arrive this week, along with Space Ghost, 300 (HD DVD), and some Godzilla movies! Can't wait! I'll have Popeye this week too. I hope my wife won't be needing me for a few days...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 8th, 2007, 8:39 am

I was very surprised when Woody turned up in a digipak - not like Universal at all these days...it's very much superior to what three thinpaks would look like.

Although there are no "new" extras (you'll see what I mean), you're gonna be bowled over by this set, especially the sound quality on the cartoons.

All we can hope for is..."MORE!!" :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » September 17th, 2007, 5:12 pm

Our interview with Jerry Beck regarding The Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Cartoon Collection:
http://animated-views.com/2007/jerry-be ... n-and-now/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 18th, 2007, 1:35 am

GREAT, great interview, Josh!

Knowing what Jerry's job already consisit of, it was really interesting getting more info on him. Such as how he got his start, and what he's doing today. Its also crystal clear, that the Woody, Popeye, etc. sets would've been like, had Jerry not been involved. Espicially Woody!

And great review, Ben! Makes waiting for actual set, easier. But I can hardly wait to get the box set, and check out all these great gems myself.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » September 19th, 2007, 4:33 am

Thanks for the compliment, Daniel! I'm glad you enjoyed the interview. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 19th, 2007, 8:35 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 22nd, 2007, 3:20 am

Should come as no surprise, but here's the announcement for The Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Cartoon Collections: Volume 2. And here's a little info from Jerry Beck.

April 15th isn't too far away, so nice! Hopefully I'll get Volume 1 for Christmas. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 22nd, 2007, 9:57 am

Actually, it is a little of a surprise to me,but I am thrilled that it is happening, and relatively soon after the last volume. I'm less intrested in he 1950's Woody cartoons as I am in seeing more of the other series like Swing Symphonies.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 22nd, 2007, 10:15 am

I'm surprised Rand is surprised - our interview with Jerry made it pretty clear more was on the way, I thought.

I'll take the weaker 50s Woody cartoons, like Rand, with less interest, but those extras and what are sure to be fascinating cartoons in the remaining 30 are enough to warrant a pickup.

Yay! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 22nd, 2007, 10:30 am

Yeah, I know Jerry alluded to another set, but after waiting so long for Universal to release their cartoons, getting two big sets in less than a year still comes as a surprise. I've been watching the first set, and still can't believe how much they put on it! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 7th, 2008, 10:58 pm

Here's a look at the box art for Volume 2!

Nice. Think I like it more than the first volume, since that one resembled the 'modern' Woody more. This one also seems less crowded, since it only features Knothead and Splinter alongside Woody.

Btw, I finally got Volume 1! Haven't watched it yet, but I'm planning to! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 8th, 2008, 8:20 am

NICE! :)