The Golden Compass

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 10th, 2007, 5:56 am

Yeah, I noticed that too - my Nicole Kidman comment doesn't make sense now!

I think if you'd linked to an external source, they've just changed that picture's listing, so it gets changed along the line. The previous pictures have been taken down/de-linked too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 10th, 2007, 6:02 am

Wow, between GC, Happy Feet and (maybe?) American Dog, Kidman is sure doing a lot of fantasy/animation.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 21st, 2007, 4:50 pm

Yahoo's got the trailer up for this one -

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/thegoldencompass.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kirby-chan » May 27th, 2007, 10:01 am

It gives me a warm and giddy feeling to see Iorek Byrnerson in his full glorious form and not polygons! ^^ It gets better and better the more I see it!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MickeyMousePal » May 27th, 2007, 8:27 pm

I didn't really enjoy the trailer of The Golden Compass that was attached to POTC: AWE. It looks like Narnia but much sillier.
Who knows might watch it when it comes out on DVD.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 28th, 2007, 3:40 pm

I don't like how they begin the trailer with the whole, "Years ago, New Line Cinema took you on a breathtaking adventure" thing. They're not gonna sell this movie if they try to make it look like a "Lord of the Rings" clone.

The special effects look really good, though. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 28th, 2007, 8:53 pm

It would be great if someone could fill me in on what exactly was happening in the trailer - I had no clue whatsoever.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kirby-chan » July 7th, 2007, 1:08 pm

You'd understand it if you read the book, it's mostley just a bunch of random scenes being thrown together to show what kind of world this story takes place in.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 8th, 2007, 9:11 am

A Potter-Narnia World it looks like.

I actually have the (three?) books here but never got around to reading them (same with a couple of Lemony Snickets)!

But a trailer for a <I>movie</I> can't just cater to the reader fanbase. That's a given audience, who will see the movie based on the title. What New Line needs to do is sell it to people like me and Meg...we won't go if it looks like a Narnia/Potter/Rings wannabe, which is what it is looking like at this point... :(

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 8th, 2007, 12:36 pm

My big problem is the LOTR reference at the beginning. As I said, it's desperate.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 21st, 2007, 1:39 pm

*bump*

Here's the new trailer:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808718640/info

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » October 21st, 2007, 3:39 pm

I enjoyed that a lot more than the teaser. I'm still going to wait to see what the general reaction to it is before I plop down my ten bucks for it, though.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 21st, 2007, 7:01 pm

I'll be seeing just because of the cast. Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig, Eva Green, Sam Elliot--they're all such great actors. Plus, to sweeten things up, Ian McKellan was recently cast as the voice of the Armored Bear. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 23rd, 2007, 8:01 am

Ahhh, the <I>Rings</I> bullseye!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 25th, 2007, 9:00 am

Yeah. People are gonna be like, "Oh, they cast Gandalf as the bear; that's cheating!".