1950's Hansel and Gretel movie

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

1950's Hansel and Gretel movie

Post by Deco King » April 16th, 2007, 1:57 pm

There was an animated model version of Hansel and Gretel made in the 1950's available on a dreadful washed out DVD - are there any plans to bring this out on a remastered DVD?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » April 16th, 2007, 2:07 pm

Welcome to the forum Deco King!

As far as I know Hansel and Gretel: An Opera Fantasy is not planned for re-release.
I don't think the demand is high enough yet for them to invest in restoring the movie.

Maybe eventually, but I'm guessing it's gonna take a while.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 17th, 2007, 9:33 am

Was that a European stop motion feature?

I believe I may have that on a VHS, but heaven knows where it would be. It was taped off air and had a nice deep look to it, if I recall correctly.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Deco King » April 17th, 2007, 10:13 am

Yes that's correct - it had a depth to the backgrounds, and had a great wicked witch character too! Hansel and Gretel are sadly a little twee in their characterisation, but this is largely down to the era that the movie dates from.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 27th, 2007, 3:21 am

In DisneyWar it said that during Eisner's reign, way towards the end, they were seriously considering adapting a Hansel and Gretal tale....(not sure if they'd decided to give up 2d yet, I'm guessing it was before it happened.)
Supposedly, H & G were brats and the witch wasn't as evil as people would think....:P

I would have loved for this to happen...I hope they still keep it on the backburner....:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!