Cars 2

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
Post Reply
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 8326
Joined: October 25th, 2004
Location: Binghamton, NY

Re: Cars 2

Post by ShyViolet » November 28th, 2011, 8:30 pm

Pinky, are you pondering what I’m pondering?

I think so, Brain, but if we didn’t have ears, wouldn’t we sort of look like weasels?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 822
Joined: July 9th, 2008
Location: Australia

Post by Bill1978 » November 28th, 2011, 10:48 pm

Maybe I'm dumb and naive but for a movie that was extremely well received from the critics and has something liek 98% fresh at Rotten tomatoes how come Winnie-The-Pooh is never mentioned as a potential nominee? But yet Puss In Boots and Kung fu Panda keep getting thrown in the ring?

AV Team
AV Team
Posts: 5649
Joined: February 8th, 2005
Location: The US of A

Re: Cars 2

Post by Dacey » November 28th, 2011, 11:17 pm

Pooh is too short to win, plain and simple. And 53 minutes without credits, it hardly even feels like a movie! And while critics liked it, there's still a "same old, same old" quality to it all that might work against it.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 822
Joined: July 9th, 2008
Location: Australia

Post by Bill1978 » November 29th, 2011, 5:16 pm

I don't expect it to win, but it coudl at least be thrown around as a possible nominee. Considering Cars 2 is still thrown out as a possible nominee why not Winnie. It's length doesn't disqualify it. Of course these reporters probably have forgotten the movie cause it wasn't a blockbuster but I won't be surprised if Winnie gets a nom based upon the level of praise from the critics.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 8326
Joined: October 25th, 2004
Location: Binghamton, NY

Re: Cars 2

Post by ShyViolet » December 4th, 2011, 12:03 am

Despite the reviews Pixar is still pushing Cars 2 for the Oscar:

http://pixarplanet.com/blog/cars-2-for- ... sideration



Also, for the first time since 2000, the New York Film Critics Circle did not hand out a single award for Best Animated Feature:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film ... -year.html
Pinky, are you pondering what I’m pondering?

I think so, Brain, but if we didn’t have ears, wouldn’t we sort of look like weasels?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 398
Joined: May 28th, 2009
Contact:

Post by estefan » December 4th, 2011, 5:16 pm

I think Rango, Tintin, Winnie the Pooh and Arthur Christmas have four of the slots sown up. The last spot will either go to Kung Fu Panda 2, Puss in Boots, Rio or something smaller. I don't understand that people are saying that it's a weak year for animation when we have seven or more strong contenders competing for this category.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 3688
Joined: September 27th, 2007

Re:

Post by EricJ » December 4th, 2011, 10:41 pm

Bill1978 wrote:I don't expect it to win, but it coudl at least be thrown around as a possible nominee. Considering Cars 2 is still thrown out as a possible nominee why not Winnie. It's length doesn't disqualify it. Of course these reporters probably have forgotten the movie cause it wasn't a blockbuster but I won't be surprised if Winnie gets a nom based upon the level of praise from the critics.
Everyone picked on Cars again, so expect Iger to defend the battlements to the last man--
They'll still keep going for a nom/win on technical merit (it is still partly a technical category), but Disney never likes to compete against itself and split its own votes, especially for a "push" favorite.
Pooh was good for an achievement of reviving 2-D, but wasn't going to singlehandedly grab votes away for its story or script, unless there's a write-in nomination flood from the animator members.

User avatar
AV Founder
AV Founder
Posts: 19972
Joined: October 22nd, 2004
Location: London, UK

Post by Ben » December 5th, 2011, 3:16 am

Um, well basically that's all baloney.

A film like Cars 2, from a studio like Pixar, will have an Oscars campaign written into its contract. At this point they're just going through pre-negotiated motions, it's nothing to do with Iger defending anything.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 3688
Joined: September 27th, 2007

Re:

Post by EricJ » December 5th, 2011, 3:20 am

Ben wrote:A film like Cars 2, from a studio like Pixar, will have an Oscars campaign written into its contract. At this point they're just going through pre-negotiated motions, it's nothing to do with Iger defending anything.
And at this point, press articles are only making big deals about qualifying entries and FYC campaigns, which, frankly, any studio can do. It would be major news if Disney DIDN'T put their annual big-ticket Pixar up for competition, which, as noted, they were pretty well guaranteed to anyway. We'll know after the voting.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 8326
Joined: October 25th, 2004
Location: Binghamton, NY

Re: Cars 2

Post by ShyViolet » December 8th, 2011, 6:41 pm

More discussion of motion capture vs. CGI animation, and what this means for Oscar recognition:

http://theenvelope.latimes.com/awards/o ... 8892.story
Pinky, are you pondering what I’m pondering?

I think so, Brain, but if we didn’t have ears, wouldn’t we sort of look like weasels?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 126
Joined: December 8th, 2011
Contact:

Re:

Post by laughingoctopus » December 9th, 2011, 1:05 am

Bill1978 wrote:Maybe I'm dumb and naive but for a movie that was extremely well received from the critics and has something liek 98% fresh at Rotten tomatoes how come Winnie-The-Pooh is never mentioned as a potential nominee? But yet Puss In Boots and Kung fu Panda keep getting thrown in the ring?
I agree, it would be nice to see a nom for it. At the least, it was WAAAY better than Cars 2.

Post Reply