Disney/Bruckheimer's G-FORCE

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Disney/Bruckheimer's G-FORCE

Post by Plightyear » September 13th, 2007, 2:04 pm

According to this article:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=37338

G-Force is animated film coming from Disney. It also mention the director as Hoyt Yeatman.

It also mention Brad Bird's 1906 is in development over at <i> Warner Bros.</i>

If this was already well known then feel free to delete this topic.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 13th, 2007, 6:51 pm

Well, any list that still lists "American Dog" and its director as Chris Sanders can't be that up to date.

"...something called Seventh Samurai from the Weinstein Company. Could this be the rumored remake of Akira Kurosawa's classic Seven Samurai?"

- Um...ya think? ;)

"INCREDIBLE MR LIMPET D: Chris Columbus"

- Ugh, gawd. :(

"SPOOKS APPRENTICE D: Tim Burton"

- What?? Love it!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 13th, 2007, 7:56 pm

I concur about Mr. Limpet. :(

Here's the only info I could find on G-Force:
The Movie Insider wrote:Director: Hoyt Yeatman
Producer(s): Jerry Bruckheimer
Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Genre(s): Animation, Action, Adventure, Kids, Family

U.S. Release Date: TBA, 2006 (Estimated)

Synopsis: The story of a group of intelligent animal commandos working for a government agency trying to prevent an evil billionaire from taking over the world.
Jerry Bruckheimer as the producer sounds promising! And the plot sounds kind of interesting.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » September 13th, 2007, 10:17 pm

Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't G-Force the name of the second US dub of Gatchaman (the first being Battle of the Planets)? I thought it would be a film version of that. Oh well.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 13th, 2007, 11:04 pm

Nope, I'm pretty sure your right, eddie.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 23rd, 2007, 5:58 pm

So Disney is making this? Or are they just distributing?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 24th, 2007, 9:50 am

Eddie's right about the name G-Force, but it is unclear just <I>what</I> this is.

An update of that version of the show? A CGI cash-in on TransFormers vibe? A totally unrelated outing, in which case the title is a little weird?

Time will tell...but I get the feeling this is a pickup and not in-house produced.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 27th, 2007, 5:03 pm

Ben wrote:Eddie's right about the name G-Force, but it is unclear just <I>what</I> this is.

An update of that version of the show? A CGI cash-in on TransFormers vibe? A totally unrelated outing, in which case the title is a little weird?

Time will tell...but I get the feeling this is a pickup and not in-house produced.
Completely unrelated--
Bruckie's movies for Disney, like the Pirates, are all independently produced "out-house" pickups from his own company. (Not sure if that's the term, but...) :D
More like "Valiant" and "The Wild".

There IS a http://www.animated-news.com/2007/dini- ... Gatchaman in the works (and appearing next to it on the same AN headline page), but this ain't it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 27th, 2007, 5:08 pm

Ben wrote:Eddie's right about the name G-Force, but it is unclear just <I>what</I> this is.

Just a pickup:
Bruckie's movies for Disney, like the Pirates, are all "out-house" productions from his own company. (Not sure if that's the term, but...) :D
Think "Valiant" and "The Wild".

There is, of course, an indie CGI version of Gatchaman in the works from the TMNT producers (and probably headed for the Weinsteins),
http://www.animated-news.com/2007/dini- ... gatchaman/
but this ain't it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2007, 5:50 pm

Technically, Pirates are the closes thing Disney has to an in-house franchise. Bruckheimer is the producer on that one but Buena Vista call the shots.

On this, it'll be interesting to see how it goes...he doesn't have an animation pipeline set up, so could it be the move to India that we've been hearing about...?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 27th, 2007, 9:38 pm

Well, let's just hope it's not another "Kangaroo Jack".
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 27th, 2007, 11:58 pm

This is totally unrelated to the 1970s animated Battle of the Planets aka Science Ninja Team Gatchaman.

G-Force, the CGI feature, sounds like a crass attempt on Disney marketing's part to fool people into thinking this has anything to do with Gatchaman. Yes, G-Force was the name for the inferior second English adaptation of Gatchaman, but what Disney is doing with it has nothing to do with the anime series.

Gatchaman, btw, IS being made by another company as a CGI feature and will follow the standard superhero cycle that the original animated series did. There are two late developments with that film --
A) Paul Dini of Batman: TAS and Superman: TAS was hired to help develop the script for the Gatchaman animated feature;
B) Warner Bros. officially picked up the distribution options for the Gatchman feature AND the (long-in-development-hell) Astro Boy feature.

Good news for Astro Boy and Gatchaman fans.

However, what Disney marketing is doing now is still very crass...

I have more faith that the Gatchaman film will actually be good. The last 10 years of Disney films, barring minor exceptions, -- NOT so good.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 28th, 2007, 7:18 am

The Gatchaman feature is going to be like the TMNT movie. Co-funded between Warners and Weinstein, directed by Kevin Munroe and animated by Imagi in Asia.

Of course, G-Force is also the term for the reaction resulting from high speed movement, the acceleration expressed in G's. Could be something to do with wanting to break barriers and what not, a sci-fi feature with tons of action and danger. Sounds like it could be a departure, and I really don't think Disney will be animating this in-house. Bruckheimer could well source an outside studio like Imagi - maybe even CORE in Canada? - to produce this.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by cmoon » September 29th, 2007, 10:14 pm

You know, it is a miracle Gatchaman worked in the first place; the idea of US remakes (wasn't the original idea of the show mostly lost in US dubs to begin with???) seems like a recipe for disaster.

Edit: Astroboy US live action (or whatever) version...pretty much same recipe!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 21st, 2007, 2:12 pm

This "mystery" picture just became a <I>little</I> more clearer with this first casting news.

The two big male lead names, given their past relationships with both Disney and Bruckheimer, are not that surprising, but both are firsts, I think, for voicing animation.
The Hollywood Reporter wrote:<B>Animals and humans join 'G-Force'</B>
By Carolyn Giardina, Nov 21, 2007

Nicolas Cage, Steve Buscemi and Tracy Morgan will be three of the lead voices in "G-Force," for Walt Disney Pictures and Jerry Bruckheimer Films.

Bill Nighy and Will Arnett also have joined the ranks of the human actors in the live-action/CG film, which marks the directorial debut of Oscar-winning visual effects innovator Hoyt Yeatman.

The story follows a group of ultra-intelligent animal commandoes who work for a government agency trying to prevent an evil billionaire from taking over the world. Cage will play Speckles, a mole; Buscemi will portray Bucky, a hamster; and Morgan will voice Blaster, a guinea pig. Nighy will portray an industrialist, and Arnett will play an FBI agent.

Live-action leads also include Zach Galifianakis, Kelli Garner, Gabriel Casseus and Jack Conley.

Production is currently under way in Los Angeles. Jerry Bruckheimer is producing. Executive producing are Bruckheimer Films' Mike Stenson and Chad Oman, along with Duncan Henderson.

"It's a good story; it's unique characters, it's half animation, half live action," Bruckheimer told The Hollywood Reporter. "It falls right into the Disney family of films -- the kind of films we make, like 'National Treasure,' which entertain everybody from the smallest kid to the oldest grandparent."

Yeatman -- who won an Academy Award for visual effects on "The Abyss," as well as a Technical Achievment Award -- is "a visual effects genius, and he has worked on a number of our movies in the past," Bruckheimer said. "(Yeatman) came up with this idea with his son, believe it or not. We developed the screenplay. ... Now we are filming. It's pretty exciting for him -- it's his first time (directing) -- and it's exciting for us to get into a whole new medium."

So...now we know...