One Hundred and One Dalmatians: Platinum Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 27th, 2007, 11:23 am

Here's hoping the "much more" includes the excellent half hour BBC documentary on author Dodie Smith, some kind of audio commentary and plentiful teasers and trailers.

Although...I'm not holding my breath for any of it. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 3rd, 2008, 2:36 am

Neither am I, but there's still hope...

Anywho, looks as though the UK is getting the Deluxe Book Pack treatment again. For your sake Ben, I hope its better than the shoddy treatment JB got.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by walt1928 » January 5th, 2008, 3:34 pm

I recieved a flier for the movie playing at the El Capitan and a pannel discussion on the first night. Besides Leonard Maltin does anyone know who else is scheduled to be on the pannel. Thanks

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 8th, 2008, 7:18 pm

Here are pictures of the Deluxe Book set the UK is getting: (Play also confirms its a 'picture' book again.)

Omg, I love, love, love it! Its SO beautiful!!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 8th, 2008, 7:20 pm

Darn it...that <I>is</I> nice.

Since we'll likely get the Platinum disc as a screener, I'll probably spring for this. Apart from the Snow White and Jungle Book ones, were there any other book sets like this?

I remember Beauty And The Beast having something special over here, though I never picked it up and I don't think it was a book thing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 9th, 2008, 12:12 am

Yep, Cinderella, The Lion King and
Aladdin.

As far as I know, the only treatment Beauty and the Beast got over at the UK was a packaged set with the original and Belle's Magical World. Here in the states however, we got the opportunity to send away for a 'box' to house all three DVD's. Unfortunetely, they sold out rather quickly, so I was never able to get it. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 9th, 2008, 6:36 am

I looked on Amazon UK and couldn't find those three in "book form" (only the bundled sequel packs), but no matter since I have the nice "proper" region 1 gift sets for those titles.

Just such a shame that the Platinums did not enjoy consistent packaging for the entire run.

Double keepcases, glossy slipcovers, embossed slipcovers, plain slipscovers, no slipcovers, slipcovers that open up, some that don't, gift sets for some, the book type sets for others in the UK...what a mess this apparently prestigious line looks on a shelf together.

And don't get me started on the content! So many missed opportunities...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » January 9th, 2008, 11:45 am

Double keepcases, glossy slipcovers, embossed slipcovers, plain slipscovers, no slipcovers, slipcovers that open up, some that don't, gift sets for some, the book type sets for others in the UK...what a mess this apparently prestigious line looks on a shelf together.
Hehe.... It's nice to know I'm not the only person who fusses over things like this. I'm often told "Who cares about the packaging, you're paying for the movie." :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 9th, 2008, 2:57 pm

Nah, the movie is free. It's the packaging that really counts! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 10th, 2008, 6:00 am

The Gift Set is cute :D i loved the storybook style.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 17th, 2008, 4:15 pm

Yep, so cute, I'm definitely going to import it! :) For one thing it's a movie I love dearly and second, the packaging is just sooo attractive!

And you were right, Ben, the UK did get something special for Beauty and the Beast, but like you said it wasn't a book thing. Here's it's page on Amazon.uk. And pics: 1, 2, 3. Darn, that's so much better than R1!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 18th, 2008, 6:56 am

That's quite nice, but I remember seeing that now and thinking that the R1 wasn't so bad (it was a fold-out one if I recall correctly). And the UK didn't get the inserted booklet, I don't think, so all that info went missing.

On One Hundred And One, remember that the import price is going to be nuts again. Have a check on eBay for The Jungle Book one and see what kind of prices that's going for. You may find someone with some in the US going for cheaper than the Amazon UK import price.

I know you don't want that one, but it'll give you an idea of what might be available for this in a couple of months! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 18th, 2008, 3:12 pm

Just checked eBay and found one person selling the JB Gift Set. The only price listed is $40, which in comparison to Amazon.uk, is a pretty good price. I'm little suspicious though, since they list it as Region 3 and from Asia, which we both know isn't so. I also took a look at regular Amazon, but nothing. Good idea though, I may do that with Dalmatians, if...

Do you know if you spend a certain amount on Amazon.uk, they'll offer free shipping? I have my eye on couple of goodies I wouldn't mind getting. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 19th, 2008, 6:49 am

Unfortunately, not to another country.

AmzUS offers free shipping on orders over $25, I think, but only to US addresses. AmzUK offers free shipping on orders over $15, for sure, but again only to local addresses.

Would be great if they did though! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 19th, 2008, 2:54 pm

Darn! That would've been great. So not fare. :(

Guess I'll play the waiting game and see if Dalmatians pops up on eBay or Amazon US after it's been released... If it doesn't (which I'm hoping not!) I'll get it from Amazon UK.