Sleeping Beauty: Platinum Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MrsTashlin » October 12th, 2008, 5:55 pm

i haven't seen Cinderella restored. did they really tinker with her that badly?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 12th, 2008, 8:16 pm

It wasn't <I>that</I> bad, Mrs Tash, but just a general "lightness" to the image, which may have made it feel closer to a digitally colored master than film.

However, as we're seeing on Sleeping Beauty, there <I>is</I> an argument to say that the colors we've been seeing all these years may not have been the right ones either. <I>Apparently</I>, these new digital restorations from the negatives (starting from Bambi in 2004) are a match for the original intentions.

So if Peter Pan and Cinderella don't look as we might remember them, or <I>want</I> them to look, there's a strong chance they actually look as they <I>were</I> supposed to look, from the original three-strips.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » October 12th, 2008, 8:29 pm

Even so, I sort of like the SE release of SB and the 2003 release of PP better than the PE releases.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by tyler283455 » October 12th, 2008, 9:35 pm

Ben wrote:It wasn't <I>that</I> bad, Mrs Tash, but just a general "lightness" to the image, which may have made it feel closer to a digitally colored master than film.

However, as we're seeing on Sleeping Beauty, there <I>is</I> an argument to say that the colors we've been seeing all these years may not have been the right ones either. <I>Apparently</I>, these new digital restorations from the negatives (starting from Bambi in 2004) are a match for the original intentions.

So if Peter Pan and Cinderella don't look as we might remember them, or <I>want</I> them to look, there's a strong chance they actually look as they <I>were</I> supposed to look, from the original three-strips.
Highly Agreed.
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e314/joris1/ecede288.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 13th, 2008, 7:56 pm

Oh boy, Pan, that was just bad. :(

We should be finding out soon how good Sleeping Beauty sold last week. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by tyler283455 » October 13th, 2008, 8:03 pm

I got my first Blu ray movie.

I bought
Tim Burton's nightmare Before Christmas.

I can't wait to get my Blu Ray player. I wonder when the best time to buy a blu ray player is.
Last edited by tyler283455 on October 29th, 2008, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 13th, 2008, 8:15 pm

The color scheme, mainly. We talked about it some before. I did my own comparison and was just baffled.
tyler283455 wrote:and Tim Burton's night Before Christmas.
I wish that was real. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 13th, 2008, 9:20 pm

Best time to buy a Blu player is probably right now! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by tyler283455 » October 13th, 2008, 10:16 pm

Really? I would think the prices would go down in the future. Some people have suggested right after Christmas when the prices start to decrease.
Daniel wrote:I wish that was real. ;)
My bad
"NIGHTMARE" :oops: :oops: :oops:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » October 13th, 2008, 11:24 pm

Don't feel too bad. I tend to do it the other way around. I'm always referring to the classic poem as "The Nightmare Before Christmas." :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 14th, 2008, 9:29 am

Animated News & Views review is up:
http://animated-views.com/2008/sleeping ... nd-bluray/

I've taken the Blu into account too, making educated comments, and hopefully I think you'll find this to be the most comprehensive account of this title on disc. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 14th, 2008, 3:01 pm

Yes, very much so. Lengthy read, but was well worth it. You really covered everything Ben, fantastic job. And finally, an in depth list of what's missing from the previous SE and LD!

I do have one issue though, I'm sure you have good reason for doing so, but any reason why "What's missing?" and "Make it Blu!" aren't given the real header treatment? Such as "Is This Thing Loaded?". I'm thinking it's because they aren't real topics covered in AV reviews, and as the review title mentions - "with comments on the Blu-ray Disc". It no doubt is, but I personally would've preferred a real headline, since it blends in with the bonus features listings, and I feel they warrant their own separation and are interesting reads.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 14th, 2008, 5:32 pm

Thanks Dan...yep, you're correct on the reasoning behind why those two are not in our usual headers. C'mon, though, I <I>did</I> bold and capitalize them, though! ;)

Also, since both still refer to the "Loaded?" question, and though I did think about marking them up with bigger headers, I finally felt that they worked well enough as they were. I also elected not to highlight the missing elements themselves, as someone skimming quickly might have read about something and either bought the new disc or discarded their old one as a result! I think things are pretty clear enough and I make the same points about what's on what disc, what's not, and the lack of context several times each, <I>just</I> to ram it home. You wouldn't believe the emails I get sometimes on a big title like this because someone hasn't read or understood something correctly!

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 14th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Fair enough, taking all that into consideration, it does make sense. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 14th, 2008, 9:40 pm

I watched the Blu-ray on the weekend. Oh man, is it nice to look at in hi def.

Gonna hang on to my LD box set, though!