Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 17th, 2007, 3:56 am

I am very, very exited to hear about Tim tackeling Alice. Imagine the visuals... I'm also happy about Weenie, though like already mentioned, I hope its better than Corpse Bride.

Btw, here's our old thread where we originally began discussion on Burton and Frankenweenie: 'Mastermind' behind Disney's new stop-motion film? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by clabot2700 » December 13th, 2007, 1:23 am

Scifi.com has an interesting(but short)article about Frankenweenie

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.ph ... 3&id=46171

saluti

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 13th, 2007, 3:27 am

Not Found

The requested URL /scifiwire/index.php was not found on this server.
Is it just me, again? :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 13th, 2007, 7:10 am

Works for me.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 13th, 2007, 6:29 pm

"they just are in your DNA"

Burton starts talking the Pixar line... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 21st, 2008, 4:55 pm

Casting news:
UD wrote:Alice in Wonderland - Tim Burton practically started his movie career at Disney. In his early twenties, he worked on The Fox and the Hound before helming the short films Vincent and Frankenweenie. He went onto bigger and, many would argue, better things, earning a reputation for dark, imaginative works like Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, and two blockbuster Batman movies. In the early 1990s, Burton returned to Disney to produce The Nightmare Before Christmas, one of the best examples of a modern day cult classic. Soon after, he would also helm the Oscar-winning Ed Wood for Touchstone Pictures. In the years since, Burton has remained a free agent, moving from studio to studio, switching mediums and genres, but always retaining creative control and a distinctive style.

In November of 2007, Burton signed a deal to direct two Disney Digital 3-D projects. First up is a live-action/motion-capture/CGI adaptation of Lewis Carroll's most famous story. It seems like an apt fit, based on the trippy source material and Burton's penchant for trippy material. Of course, Disney fans will be judging the project next to Walt Disney's 1951 animated film, which today is regarded highly. Eighteen-year-old Australian girl Mia Wasikowska (HBO's "In Treatment") has been cast in the coveted title role, while "Little Britain" co-creator/performer Matt Lucas has signed onto portray both Tweedledee and Tweedledum. Burton has confirmed his frequent leading man, Johnny Depp, will have a role here, which is rumored to be the Mad Hatter. Perhaps the only casting less surprising would be news of Helena Bonham Carter trying her hand at the Queen of Hearts. Production has begun in England and Disney has pegged the film for a March 5, 2010 theatrical release, which will include Disney Digital 3-D engagements.
Pretty cool! Johnny Depp as a possible Mad Hatter? I could see it. Though I was always picturing him as the Cheshire Cat. :P

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » September 24th, 2008, 9:19 pm

It's now confirmed, via Reuters, that Depp will be playing the Mad Hatter in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 24th, 2008, 11:05 pm

On the subject of Frankenweenie, it's worth noting that the connection led to Shelley Duvall rewarding early Pee-Wee era Tim with letting him direct the Aladdin episode of "Faerie Tale Theater"...
One of the better episodes of the series, btw, for those who haven't seen it. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 26th, 2008, 11:01 pm

Pictures from the set of Alice in Wonderland. Personally, I think Alice is cute.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2008, 2:30 pm

...although, a quick warning for the names and photos on some of those talkbackers listed below...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by Neal » September 27th, 2008, 3:20 pm

Tim Burton sure does like his pale, blonde(ish), slightly curly haired, young maidens!

Ryder (Edward Scissorhands):

Ricci (Sleepy Hollow):

Lohman (Big Fish):

Wisener (Sweeney Todd):

Wasikowska (Alice in Wonderland):

Wasikowska seems to be carrying on the tradition. Would I be wrong in declaring this a possible fetish? :shock:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2008, 4:11 pm

Yes. All of Burton's other films kind of throw out that argument. And most of the characters here have traditionally been blonde, so he's really resisting the urge to turn everyone into a greasy, black haired goth...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 27th, 2008, 4:14 pm

Ben wrote:Yes. All of Burton's other films kind of throw out that argument. And most of the characters here have traditionally been blonde, so he's really resisting the urge to turn everyone into a greasy, black haired goth...
(Uh, we haven't seen Depp's Mad Hatter yet...Any wagers?) :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by Neal » September 27th, 2008, 4:27 pm

Well greasy, black-haired goth is really the other side of the spectrum. No redheads/gingers? No brunettes? No regular black-haired girls? Never someone with a little more color to their skin?

Maybe my eyesight's gone bad but I see a lot of similarities in the looks of Ricci, Lohman and Wisener. Their facial composition and whatnot all seems very similar to me. And I don't think it's just a coincidence.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2008, 4:32 pm

Well to say it's a "fetish" is inane...it's just Burton's style, but again most of these characters have traditionally been painted as paler, weaker ladies, simple as that.