Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 31st, 2007, 2:40 pm

I'm very jazzed to see this, but not out in the UK until the end of January! :(

I love Sondheim's original work too, so will be looking out for the cuts. From what I understand, Burton has made this work <I>for film</I>, which is of course what it needs, and there's the hope of a more complete cut for a later DVD release.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Sweeney Todd

Post by Dusterian » January 1st, 2008, 2:03 pm

I edited my reviewing post to calrify I hoped people who read it saw the stage musical by Sondheim, not the original musicless play by Christopher Bond.

Anyway, yes, the cuts were done to mke the movie more cinematic. However, I wonder if it had too much to do with making the movie two hours. I read somewhere someone thought it dragged, but really, an extra song or two wouldn't have hurt when it was actually under 2 hours (by a few minutes). And yet, even though I feel it wouldn't hurt with more songs, it really is near perfect as it is. Most of the cuts seemed to be made to focus the story more on Sweeny and Lovett, which is a good reason.

I also hope that we get more movie on the DVD, especially the Ballad of Sweeney Todd which really could have been in the opening if we just heard the voices singing as we watch blood drip down Sweeney's chair and sizzle in the oven. Or so I think. Like I said, I'd have to actually see or hear the cuts inserted in to know if they would help or hinder.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » January 1st, 2008, 6:41 pm

I saw the movie a few days ago and I really liked it (even though I had neck craning seats lol). I was a fan of the musical before I saw the movie and I wasn't dissapointed (even though I'm not a die hard fan like I was for Rent lol). I think they did a good job translating the musical into a movie. I agree that the did a good job keeping the focus on Sweeney and Lovett, keeping it simple enough for a movie format. It did seem a bit fast in the pacing at times (there were a few instances where I was like why did so and so do that?) but that was because they cut so much out of the play. I do hope they have more scenes on the dvd release but I would be happy just to see it again the way it was. I really liked the limited color pallette alot as well. The sing speaking worked well for a movie adaptation too. It kept the audience (who not all of are musical enthusiaists) into the movie and made them forget at times it was a musical. It was an overall great movie, and a excellent adaptation.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » January 9th, 2008, 1:03 am

I just got the soundtrack, and now I absolutely have to see this. Sondheim is a musical genius, and Burton is one of my favorite directors. Just seeing the main title sequence gives me goosebumps--kind of like a twisted version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory main titles. Others have said it before, but Burton really knows how to do good main titles that really set the mood for the rest of the film. I also have to see Pee-Wee sometime--it's the only other Burton film I haven't seen.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 9th, 2008, 6:30 am

Oh, Vernadyn, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure is a must! Buy it now! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 20th, 2008, 4:49 pm

Sorry for the late head's up:

For those in the UK with ITV1, the South Bank Show is airing a dedicated Tim Burton profile tonight at 10:40pm, featuring a look at his career including early home movies and on the set of Sweeney Todd.

No doubt they will stream this on the ITV website, so for those without it, try having a look and seeing what you might find...

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 20th, 2008, 6:22 pm

Not to take away from that, but Sweeney Todd is coming out on DVD April 1st, 2008. No info for the hi-def side.

This is no early april fools', btw! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » January 21st, 2008, 10:38 am

Sweet another movie to add to my collection. Can't wait till it comes out. ^.^
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » January 22nd, 2008, 9:10 am

No Oscar Love for Tim Burton. ..........
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » January 22nd, 2008, 12:50 pm

Here we go....

I simply loved Sweeney Todd. Even though I knew what was going to happen, this was the first theater movie in a long time that actually had my heart pumping, especially for the last 15 minutes, probably due to the acting, direction, and editing. The music was mixed really loud at certain points...which I really liked. Stephen Sondheim rules.

I can't help but throw in my own two cents regarding the singing. Although Jane Wisener, Jamie Campbell Bower, and Ed Sanders had better singing voices, I thought there was more going on in the voices of Depp, Carter, and Rickman. In fact, I think Depp's voice was the best part of his performance, more so than his physical acting.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 22nd, 2008, 2:08 pm

It's been said that what they make lack in technique, they beat out because they're actors and thus bring a deeper level to the <I>performance</I>.

I certainly am looking forward to seeing this next week. :)