Peter Jackson's The Hobbit

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Peter Jackson's The Hobbit

Post by ShyViolet » November 6th, 2014, 7:44 pm

Oh, I see. Still very much looking foreword to the film, but a bit disappointed. Also still wondering what the heck happened to Smaug! I guess I'll wait for the movie to find that one out. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 6th, 2014, 8:09 pm

Dacey wrote:Well...
In the book, Bilbo spends the entire battle knocked out. Now, I doubt that will be the case here, but he's not an active part of the story's climax at all.
Like he's been an active part of the movie trilogy so far... :x

About halfway through Smaug, we caught on that Jackson was SO wrapped up in his own concocted trilogy subplots of Thorin Claims His Throne, and the Necromancer Reawakens, and Bard Liberates His Town, he was thinking "Wait, who's that short guy, can we get him offscreen?...Ohh, right, him."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » November 7th, 2014, 5:41 am

And with that trailer I have to finally admit that I clearly have no memory of what I read 24 years ago. None of that even seemed remotely familiar. I honestly cannot recall an epic battle in The Hobbit. Maybe it is time to re-read. I just hope it's not 3 hours of fighting cause to be honest I get bored with the fighting in these movies. I enjoy the movies just not the battles.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 7th, 2014, 1:30 pm

...or the video game baiting barrel river runs...! ;)

I know what you mean...fifteen years ago it was all new and amazing, but we've not seen anything different since then. And I'm with you on the book: it's been nearly 30 years since I read The Hobbit but it's mostly been told as far as I can remember, by the end of the last film. This will likely be made up more of Jackson's material that he said would provide a bridge between Hobbit and Rings, though by this point I can't say I care that much: Rings was essential and I saw all the films, have all the cuts, etc, but with Hobbit it's become something to do rather than because we're excited by it, and I don't have any of them on disc yet. Maybe when there's an all-in collection...but not the films by themsevles as I just can't see myself bothering to watch them again.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 13th, 2014, 12:20 pm

Bats/Supes trailer to be shown before The Hobbit?

http://comicbook.com/2014/11/10/batman- ... eleased-w/
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » December 14th, 2014, 9:56 pm

Martin Freeman hosted SNL the other night ahead of the third film's premiere. One sketch in particular tickled a lot of folks' nostalgia hearts.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 17th, 2014, 8:32 pm

Watched it tonight. Enjoyed it a lot especially since the plot was more cohesive and fast moving than in the other films. My only problem was that it focused way too much on Thorin, a not particularly interesting character. Loved seeing Martin Freeman again: he was a bright spot throughout the whole film. Weird how his scenes were always so great (he upstaged everyone, including Ian Mckellon, every time) and how some other scenes (mostly Thorin's) were often quite dull. Speaking of dull, Orlando Bloom was quite boring through most of the film, partly because his character doesn't have a whole lot to do other than fight Orcs. But Bloom seemed indifferent and with the cookie-cutter "character development" his character "went through" you can't really blame him.

Don't get me wrong--I did enjoy the movie, mostly because of Freeman and the unfortunately short appearance of Smaug. But unlike in LOTR there was much less gravitas and it never felt like a whole lot was at stake. But it does tie up the trilogy pretty well, so I do recommend it. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 17th, 2014, 11:02 pm

I finally just watched the first two parts last Saturday with a buddy and my son, marathoning the 3D extended cuts. And I really liked the films. Managed expectations is key--- if you know it's a drawn-out, slow moving affair going in, it's still quite enjoyable. I do plan to see Armies in the theatre soon, just to check out 48fps.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 17th, 2014, 11:08 pm

I totally agree Randall--it's all about expectations. Once you accept that it's not the LOTR trilogy, there's a lot to appreciate.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 18th, 2014, 9:24 am

Two films. It should always have just been two films, if that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 18th, 2014, 11:32 am

Even with all their flaws, these Hobbit films are Shakespeare compared to the drudge that we get from the rest of Hollywood.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 18th, 2014, 10:18 pm

Actually, I was amazed at how involved I remained throughout the runtimes, even watching the first two (extended!) films back-to-back. Even as a not-really-fan of Tolkein, I loved every minute. So did 7-year old Parker! (Though, he laughed hysterically at Legolas hopping over the dwarves on the river, crying out, "It's just so ridiculous!")

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 19th, 2014, 3:04 am

Smart kid. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 19th, 2014, 9:26 am

Ben wrote:Two films. It should always have just been two films, if that.
QFT

Could've been so amazing as just two films.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » December 21st, 2014, 10:49 am

My folks and I ran through the first two films (extended editions, of course) before heading over to see the third yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. I really like the attention and care Peter and company went in putting the films together. Would it have been better as two films? Perhaps. But I think the overall experience of the three films as a whole was excellent.

Being a big time Tolkien buff in college, dad made notes about what didn't appear in the actual Hobbit book, but from where in the other Middle-Earth books the additional story points came from, be they the appendices in The Lord of the Rings or chapters in The Silmarillion. So in the car ride home the three of us, my mom included, were discussing a lot of these with great interest.