Peter Jackson's The Hobbit

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 1st, 2010, 2:28 am

I like seeing some of the old newsreels, too -- the Hindenburg disaster coverage with Herb Morrison's narration is still a classic -- but most of the live-action shorts kind of fall flat.

Most of the people in the shorts are complete unknowns to the vast majority of people living today. They're also by the most part so straight that they're as fake as the majority of tween programming you see on network TV and Disney Channel now.

I'm more into the kooky stuff that's timeless. That's probably why I like the animated shorts of the late 1930s and 1940s so much.

The fact that I'm more familiar with that era and am a World War II history nut doesn't hurt, either.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Peter Jackson's THE HOBBIT - yes, you read that right!

Post by Dan » May 30th, 2010, 9:40 pm

Bad news. Really bad news.

Guillermo del Toro is no longer directing.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=28016

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 30th, 2010, 10:08 pm

Too bad, but understandable. At least he'll still be involved in other ways.

GeorgeC

Re: Peter Jackson's THE HOBBIT - yes, you read that right!

Post by GeorgeC » May 30th, 2010, 10:26 pm

Shoot... didn't see this post until I got here.

Posted the same director news in Headlines!
GeorgeC wrote:http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-m ... the-hobbit

Breaking news...

(At least until another website proves this is not official... Does seem to be legit, though.)

Del Toro is leaving the directing reigns of The Hobbit because the end of delays with production do not appear to be in sight...

Del Toro still intends to finish his work on the screenplay(s) before he moves on to other projects.

This is the latest in the never-ending series of setbacks for what is arguably a cursed project...
Be my guest and delete that post.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 1st, 2010, 8:18 am

Looks like it's time for another of The Hobbit's screenwriters to pull his Middle-Earth director's hat back on, doesn't it...?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » June 1st, 2010, 11:31 am

I imagine that Peter Jackson will direct these only if they can't find anyone else suitable. Time will tell.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 1st, 2010, 7:00 pm

I think we'll get "The Hobbit" in 2020 at the rate things are going...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 1st, 2010, 11:30 pm

... And this kind of mess is why it took so long for LOTR to be made in the first place!

My only question is why The Hobbit wasn't done first? That really sets up LOTR.

At the rate things are going, certain cast members are going to be dead before shooting begins!

Enjoy your LOTR, folks.

The Hobbit will take a bit longer.

The economic crisis sure hasn't helped things... Not that there aren't more important things going on at the moment. The news is only showing the tip of the iceberg.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » June 2nd, 2010, 2:36 pm

eddievalient wrote:I imagine that Peter Jackson will direct these only if they can't find anyone else suitable. Time will tell.
Which would be even worse:
There's nothing worse than a grudging director, as any Spielberg sequel will tell you. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 2nd, 2010, 5:55 pm

"Grudging"!!?? :roll:

From my understanding, Jackson can't wait to get back into the director's chair on these. In fact, I really wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't a way for Del Toro to bow out gracefully after a heart to heart where Jackson expressed that he'd made a mistake in passing on them. As development continued, it's rumored that ol' Pete got more and more attached to the films again, and it might have become clear who should really be in the director's chair.

After all, after the mixed reaction to King Kong and the decidedly lukewarm response to The Lovely Bones, it's not like he couldn't also do with a pair of sure-fire hits...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 2nd, 2010, 8:29 pm

I don't think I'd have a problem with PJ stepping in. :)
Last edited by Randall on June 2nd, 2010, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » June 2nd, 2010, 8:48 pm

Me either. What has me intrigued about this is the reports that a lot of things that were only suggested in the book are actually going to be shown in the film (such as Gandalf's battle with the Necromancer AKA Sauron). I wouldn't mind an extended prologue showing how Gandalf got the map from Thorin's father (as told in the book Unfinished Tales).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 25th, 2010, 3:03 pm

"URGENT: Peter Jackson Negotiating To Direct 'The Hobbit' Films"

http://www.deadline.com/2010/06/urgent- ... bit-films/

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 25th, 2010, 6:12 pm

Yay! :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 28th, 2010, 6:41 am

Can I say "I told you so" without looking too smug (when I'm actually looking really, really pleased!)? :)

I actually, and I really do mean this, never had a shadow of a doubt that Jackson would not be directing these two films. I was surprised when del Toro was announced, but you can ask my friends when I said "hmmm...let's just wonder how long that one lasts..."

This was always meant to be, hence the title of this very thread! ;)