Movies of 2008

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » October 24th, 2008, 6:11 pm

Cats & Dogs sequel seems to be in the work!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1287468/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 26th, 2008, 5:37 pm

Well how long did <I>that</I> take!?

Adam...I've also heard nice things about "Rachel" and look forward to checking it out if it plays my local. :)

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » October 26th, 2008, 6:46 pm

I'm still waiting for that The Last Unicorn live action remake.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 26th, 2008, 7:00 pm

Dead and buried, I'm afraid.

At an event in June, I asked Christopher Lee what was happening with this and even <I>he</I> said that he didn't think it was happening. He hasn't been contacted by the filmmakers or the producing company in around two years, so it doesn't look good. Director Julian Doyle also seems to have moved on.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » October 27th, 2008, 12:55 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing Saw V. In spite of the gore (which is excessive, but tolerable), those movies are surprisingly well written. The story is complex, but they make it work. Supposedly they're going to number 6, but I think that's about as far as they can take it without getting completely ridiculous.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 29th, 2008, 10:17 am

For the heck of it, my review for this past summer's Speed Racer:

http://animated-views.com/2008/speed-ra ... creen-dvd/

Go, Speed Racer, go! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 5th, 2008, 9:50 am

For the heck of it, my review for this past summer's Tropic Thunder:

http://animated-views.com/2008/of-param ... n-reviews/

You'll find it at the tail end of the Sunset Boulevard comments - both recommended views! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 5th, 2008, 10:16 am

I saw Sunset Boulevard in a class I took on Billy Wilder and it is indeed a great film. My favorite film from that class was One Two Three. James Cagney's performance in that one has to be seen to be believed, especially in the last half hour.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 5th, 2008, 11:16 am

Excellent films. I love Cagney too.

You'll find that most of Billy Wilder's stuff is indeed great. About the only thing I could never warm to his as a director was Sabrina, for some reason...it didn't feel like one of his.

But the amount of stuff he has written, or been involved in, is simply astounding. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » February 12th, 2009, 4:48 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but I finally got to see Speed Racer on DVD. And I enjoyed it so much as a thrill ride that I saw it again a week later. I agree a lot with Ben's review, that a lot of people missed the film for what it was (I think Time's Richard Corliss put it on his list for best 10 films of 2008). It's just exhilirating, and even reminded me a bit of what James Cameron would do if he had the sensibilities to make a family movie.

I thought the acting was really solid. I've fallen in love with Christina Ricci in everything I've seen her in. I was particularly fascinated in her acting in the scene when she and Hirsch are sitting in the car and he's considering signing with Royalton and they almost kiss. Some may have found it a cheesy scene, but I liked it. There's lots of little moments with each actor that really enhanced the film.

And as for Michael Giacchino's score--I think from the previews many expected it to be techno and more like his Space Mountain music, but there are really great orchestral moments along with the fun jazz/surfer guitar stuff. The score starts out as busy and exciting, but by the end, it becomes unexpectedly grand and even moving.
At the end of the last race, when Speed is battling the last two cars, the mixture of Giacchino's ascending choir (the four-note phrases) and the images got to me for some reason. And then when Matthew Fox's past is revealed in the montage, the music combined with the look on his face I found to be actually quite powerful.
If nothing else, the Wachowskis are to be commended for not making a literal movie, but using stylistic techniques that are often confined to cartoons. Gimmicky? Maybe, but it was a ride I enjoyed taking.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 12th, 2009, 5:48 pm

Great! We also added it to our Best Of 2008 lists, giving it the Hi-Def Highlight Of The Year choice.

Spread the word...go, Speed Racer, go! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 19th, 2009, 8:28 pm

I wasn't quite sure where to place this but it kind of has to do with movies from 2008 (as well as other recent years)

http://www.rifftrax.com/

It's Mystery Science Theater but for recent blockbusters. The audio tracks are 3.99 and you synch them with the films.

It also has two-minute free samples, however. Really funny! :P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » February 19th, 2009, 9:01 pm

^ I've been through a number of those and find the best are when they assemble the three MST3k regulars (e.g.: Daredevil). Mike has some occasional good comments all by his lonesome but the energy and nostalgia really ramp up once the others have a go at it with him.

Have yet to check out Cinematic Titanic, though that isn't fit for this thread in the slightest.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 19th, 2009, 11:27 pm

I've bought a bunch of those -- great stuff!