How to Train your Dragon

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 31st, 2009, 11:29 am

I wasn't trying to say that music from other movies shouldn't be used in trailers (heck, I've seen enough previews to know that it's done all the time). I just didn't feel like it "worked" for the clips they were using. It felt too epic for a scene of Shrek just dancing around his swamp.

Also, I didn't mean to imply that I'm against DreamWorks. I LOVED "Kung Fu Panda," and "Shrek 2" makes me laugh no wonder how many times I watch it. :)

I'm just curious as to why you decided to respond to my post with a comment from someone on a completely different forum when you're responding to things that I didn't even really intend to bring up.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dissapointed » December 31st, 2009, 12:54 pm

Dacey, I just thought that your post brought up the same point that someone else did on Cartoon Brew and then I saw what seemed to me a fair and balanced response so rather than to plagiarize or paraphrase the response I just thought to cut/paste the post here.

I meant no malice or disrespect to anyone. I’m a newbie in this field and honestly didn’t even know that what “optimist” said was the way it was done so I just thought to mention it here.

Please accept my apologies if my post seemed to imply anything untoward against you, that wasn't my intent.
Last edited by Dissapointed on December 31st, 2009, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 31st, 2009, 4:42 pm

Hey, no worries. Really, I wasn't "offended" so much as I was curious about it. :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 1st, 2010, 12:04 am

Wow just watched the second trailer and I'm getting a really good feel about this movie. Probably the best response DW has ever gotten from me from their trailers. It feels like it's going to be a movie with a story not a movie with pop references. The main dragon looks a little bit better in this trailer than the last one. And I love how the two trailers so far have given nothing away about the actual outcome and plot of the story.

I have to agree with Darcy that the music used in the montage sequence was too grand for the clips used. But I undestand why they used it, it is often the go to piece for wanting the audience to feel like they are seeing something epic.

My main gripe with the montage is the same gripe I have when Disney does it AND what movie critics do. It's never about from the director of, it's always about from the studio of. You never see live action movies talk about how they are from the studio of Back To The Future, you never hear movie critics talk about how Universal's Movie X is not as good as Universal's Movie Y. So why do it to animated films. But that's a gripe not to be had here.

I am optimistically looking forward to this movie. Although I can see some people wanting to claim DW ripped the idea off from Tales From Earthsea when that gets released in the US or alternatively I will laugh and laugh when people try to say Tales From Earthsea copied DW.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 26th, 2010, 5:35 pm

If this ends up being true, HTTYD may have 3D screens to itself for only one week before it gets kicked out of them:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=62695

3D "Potter" was probably inevitable. But it almost feels like cheating in the case of "Titans," considering how soon the movie is supposed to be coming out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » January 26th, 2010, 7:19 pm

Well, it also depends on how many 3-D screens a cinema has. My local multiplex has two of them and played Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and the Toy Story Double Feature on each screen. So, I expect they will do the same here. Plus, Dragon will also likely have to let Alice in Wonderland occupy the other 3-D screen on its first week.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » January 26th, 2010, 8:18 pm

Is it just me, or does the main dragon in the film look like a pokemon?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 27th, 2010, 3:16 am

Thank you eddie. It has been puzzling me to why the dragon looked familiar. And I think you've hit it on the head.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » January 29th, 2010, 8:07 am

my brother said the same thing to me the other day. That it looked like a pokemon. Up until now I've been seeing Stitch's head on a dragon body but all I see now is pokemon.

It doesn't look the least bit inspiring and Sanders' designs do not appear to translate all that well to CG. I hope the story is fun though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » January 29th, 2010, 4:41 pm

I love these images! I personally think it's a step in the right direction.And remember Patrick, Chris Sanders didn't design every character in the film. That's why their not, well, Chris Sanders-ish besides the overall look of Toothless. Anyways, I'm stoked.
http://www.elioliart.com/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EHH123 » January 30th, 2010, 2:42 pm

They actually have posted images of the upcoming "Art of..." book of the film at Amazon. If you look at the introduction, you can see drawing done by Chris Sanders that shows Toothless and Hiccup looking at each other. Based on that drawing, I think it is maybe safe to say that Sanders did inspire the overall look of Toothless.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » February 1st, 2010, 8:02 pm

I found a link to the review of the "Art of..." book. It has lots of pictures and a short video of the reviewer skimming through the book.

parkablogs.com/content/book-review-art-of-how-train-your-dragon

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 2nd, 2010, 9:18 am

Good stuff in there!

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » February 2nd, 2010, 10:16 am

The Russian trailer with Eurovision Song Contest 2009 winner Alexander Rybak as the hero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVhnWpPkvlg