How to Train your Dragon

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: How to Train your Dragon

Post by Locall » March 5th, 2010, 6:02 pm

I can't help but seeing Linguini (from Ratatouille) mixed in a movie with Stitch :s

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » March 8th, 2010, 5:34 pm

Check out the Extended sequence from How to Train Your Dragon that introduces all the different types of dragons.

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/ho ... to-dragons

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » March 9th, 2010, 5:30 pm

Looks like DreamWorks has a definite hit on their hands. Here's hoping Chris and Dean make a great, memorable film. Some tidbits from the famous TAG blog:

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... title.html

Of particular interest are the comments. Some of my favorites:
I hope Pixar is enjoying their Oscar win for Up because that is going to be their last one for quite some time.

Shrek and Kung Fu Panda (and looks like soon, How to Train Your Dragon) have more appeal than any Pixar movie has, save probably Nemo and Toy Story - and that's questionable. The adults might love Pixar, but who do you think the kids will love when they grow to be adults?
I absolutely can't wait for Pixar to fall off their pedestal - not because of the artists there, but because of their snotty fans who think they are the only ones who can do well. That day is coming, I tell you.
Snotty fans, eh?

Oh, and when a studio fails, it's the artists, no the fans, who suffer.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 9th, 2010, 6:18 pm

I'm sure Pixar will be enjoying their Toy Story 3 Oscar next year.

If nothing else, TS is well regarded as starting the CG boom, and apart from an honorable award for technical achievement, the Academy has never been able to note any of the previous TS films since the BAF award wasn't introduced until 2001, two years after TS2.

So there are some pretty big reasons that Pixar could well be celebrating after all, despite how good the competition has been getting. I wouldn't quite write off The Lamp just yet! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by CGIFanatic » March 9th, 2010, 6:44 pm

Ben wrote:I'm sure Pixar will be enjoying their Toy Story 3 Oscar next year. ;)
Do you actually believe that?

How many movie sequels (animated or otherwise) have won an Oscar? I know of "The Godfather II" but are there any other?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 9th, 2010, 7:00 pm

If you're only talking about Picture, "Return of the King" springs to mind...
If you're talking about Animated, that was created after (and largely because of) TS2.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » March 9th, 2010, 7:06 pm

Sorry but I was thinking about franchises with multiple Oscar's.
Last edited by CGIFanatic on March 9th, 2010, 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » March 9th, 2010, 7:07 pm

You never know guys, you might be surprised, but other than that, who knows who will take the big prize home. Seriously though, I've heard of some people that went to early screenings of the film and they said it was amazing. I really do think DreamWorks may have a potential hit. Obviously it's too early to say, but all I know is that I'm going to see it the first day it comes out...
http://www.elioliart.com/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Re:

Post by estefan » March 9th, 2010, 7:27 pm

EricJ wrote: If you're talking about Animated, that was created after (and largely because of) TS2.
I thought they created it, due to the popularity of Chicken Run within the Academy, but it's lack of a nomination anywhere caused them to create a special category so that animated films could be honoured elsewhere outside of the usual music and sound awards (though I personally think Gregson-Williams' and Powell's excellent score from Chicken Run deserved recognition).

Anyway, it's too early in the year to see if Toy Story 3 will be as acclaimed as the first two. After all, don't most threequels usually end up being disappointments among the public? That said, Unkrich and crew could easily break that curse. Still, I wouldn't count out films like Tangled and The Illusionist.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Re:

Post by EricJ » March 9th, 2010, 7:46 pm

estefan wrote:I thought they created it, due to the popularity of Chicken Run within the Academy, but it's lack of a nomination anywhere caused them to create a special category so that animated films could be honoured elsewhere outside of the usual music and sound awards
That too, but the catalyst had been that the post-Beauty whiners had been plugging for EVERY single Disney film to make a second Best Picture showing (even Lion King, especially in LA), and TS2 pushed the issue to an actual discussion.
The Academy didn't want to bother with another animated nominee (they'd had enough of Disney with B&B to last a lifetime), but didn't want to hand out special awards every year to the ones that did merit consideration, now that the industry was taking hold.
Vernadyn wrote:Snotty fans, eh?
No, disgruntled Disney employees who try to imaginarily spin every single Disney/Pixar as a "flop", so that they can scare Lasseter into union negotiation...And to plug that DW and Katzenberg are "so nice to their employees", that's why they're sure to take over any minute now with their more popular, hi-quality product.

...Jim Hill Lives. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 9th, 2010, 10:21 pm

ahahahaha

Kung Fu Panda I'll agree was at least on par with Pixar movies, but Shrek is no where close. How To Train Your Dragon looks good, but I fully expect Pixar to take home the oscar for Toy Story 3, unless something REALLY amazing comes out of nowhere and blows people away. (or maybe a boring piece of crap animated version of the hurt locker ahahaha god i hated that movie)
estefan wrote: Anyway, it's too early in the year to see if Toy Story 3 will be as acclaimed as the first two. After all, don't most threequels usually end up being disappointments among the public? That said, Unkrich and crew could easily break that curse. Still, I wouldn't count out films like Tangled and The Illusionist.
The difference I think is that most threequels don't have the passion behind them that Toy Story 3 seems to have. Toy Story 3 is a big deal. I don't think they'll take it lightly.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » March 9th, 2010, 11:29 pm

CGIFanatic wrote:Do you actually believe that?

How many movie sequels (animated or otherwise) have won an Oscar? I know of "The Godfather II" but are there any other?
It doesn't matter so long as it's a good stand-alone film (which Godfather II was, and I'm hoping TS3 will be as well).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » March 10th, 2010, 12:38 am

Of course we want it to be a good movie and I'm sure it will be nominated for an Oscar but will it win is the question. Personally, I think Disney/Pixar is aiming for the big profits with TS3/Cars2. They don't care about impressing anyone with their art this time around because frankly it has been there and done that already.

I may be wrong but that is my opinion.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 10th, 2010, 3:16 pm

There's always Tangled...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 10th, 2010, 7:15 pm

Waaaaay too early to say, really, but I think Toy Story 3 has to be the early favorite. Personally, I'm really looking forward to The Illusionist.
Last edited by Randall on March 10th, 2010, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.