How to Train your Dragon

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: How to Train your Dragon

Post by athena » March 20th, 2010, 12:41 pm

LotsoA113 wrote:I still can't believe this film was finished in a year. Animation does wonders, don't it?
Well, as I read in one interview, it bodes well simply because there was no time to develop the film by committee. Sanders was saying they simply couldn't waste time re-hashing a joke 20 times and then ending up with the most bland version of it. Decisions needed to be made and those guys just made them.

Certainly the film hasn't suffered in quality visually from what can be seen in the trailers. Although you have to feel for the animators... that must've been one heck of a production pipeline to push that thing through.
Keyframe - the Animation Resource
www.keyframeonline.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » March 20th, 2010, 12:57 pm

Yeah the animation looks great but I agree. The animators probably were very tired. Maybe ending the Shrek franchise early was DW's gift to those animators. :lol:
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 21st, 2010, 10:05 pm

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » March 22nd, 2010, 5:37 pm

The movie is rated 11 in Finland.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? was rated 11 in my country.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 22nd, 2010, 6:56 pm

Dacey wrote:Reviews are really good so far:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1194522 ... ur_dragon/

"The plot is Pocahontas, but with dragons instead of Native Americans. "

(Y'know, the last time somebody compared a 3-D movie to Pocahontas, it didn't work out so well for me?... :roll: :P )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » March 22nd, 2010, 8:28 pm

Or that's an exuse for watching a DreamWorks film.. enough said.

Remember, they only took about half the time to make this film, or even less, but that doesn't mean they didn't do a good job or put any less effort on this film. In ways, it was probobly much easier for them to come up with a cliche' around that tight schedual than having to come up with some incredibly long backstory. If you watch it, you might ACTUALLY like it. And, whose to say that critics should determine our outlook on movies? I agree with them to an extent, but I'm not going to let some lousy critic go out of the way and ruin it for me. I can tell this will be a hit, and I think most people will agree(besides you anyway) that this movie might be DreamWorks best by far. Trust me, I've heard.

But don't worry. I'm prepared for some of the "intellegent" DreamWorks bashing coming this way. I can smell it from one post away. Bring it on... 8)
http://www.elioliart.com/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 22nd, 2010, 10:04 pm

Nah, don't have to--
The dopey God of War movie's going to come in the next week anyway and wipe it off the map, until the geek-slacker superhero movie comes in and finishes the job.

That's not that I'm rooting for that to happen, mind; couldn't be sicker about it myself.
But, uh, hey. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » March 22nd, 2010, 10:26 pm

Outside of grabbing some of the 3-D screens (well, if the cinemas bow down to Katzenberg's demands), I don't think Clash of the Titans will steal any of Dragon's audience. And especially not Kick-Ass (though this one does look pretty great).

If anything, its closest competition is Diary of a Wimpy Kid which did much better than I thought it did this past weekend.

Frankly, I've been looking forward to this ever since Chris Sanders' name became attached. Will it be on the levels of Lilo & Stitch? I'm not so sure, considering how much of a fan I am of it, but it still looks kind of fun. Though I will be opting for the 2-D edition. After the disappointment that was Alice's sloppy conversion job, I want to take a break from 3D until Toy Story 3 shows up.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » March 22nd, 2010, 10:37 pm

Really Eric, you think those films will completeley wipe it off the map? I honestly don't think so. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Switchblade Sister » March 22nd, 2010, 11:37 pm

I was looking forward to this new Dean Dublois film. Good to see Kris Sandors is working on it too. Funny how Pixar utilized cinematographer Roger Deakins to help the look of Wall-e, and now DW is following suit. I see Deakins' influence more on Wall-e than this film.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 23rd, 2010, 11:28 am

I'm kind of looking at this as DWs' Dumbo. A quick, fast-made film that fizzes with energy and basic, no-fuss storytelling.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 23rd, 2010, 7:41 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » March 23rd, 2010, 10:57 pm

Ben wrote:I'm kind of looking at this as DWs' Dumbo. A quick, fast-made film that fizzes with energy and basic, no-fuss storytelling.
...And ends up more wildly praised by animation buffs than by modern audiences. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » March 24th, 2010, 6:00 am

Actually Eric, it's getting alot a praise from modern audiences too, in case you haven't heard. :D Where have you heard that anyway, from your pals? :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Locall » March 24th, 2010, 5:47 pm

Will probably see this one in theaters because of the good reviews its getting, otherwise the DreamWorks logo would have put me off, nothing against them but their films aren't my cup of tea, the MegaMind teaser has got EVERYTHING that I hate about animated films these days, so I won't see that one, it reminds me too much of Monsters Vs. Aliens :shock:

Hope to be surprised by Dragon :)