How to Train your Dragon

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

How to Train your Dragon

Post by CGIFanatic » January 28th, 2008, 2:50 am

Here are (I hope) the first ever insider drawing of "How to Train your Dragon" movie...

I'm crossing my fingers these are indeed the first images out there otherwise I'll have egg all over my face again.

marketsaw.blogspot.com/2008/01/sneak-peak-at-how-to-train-your-dragon.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 28th, 2008, 3:21 am

As far as I'm aware, those are the first ever images we've seen for How to Train your Dragon. Thanks CGI! Gives us a good idea of how the film will look... not bad.

Btw, we don't have an old thread! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: How to Train your Dragon

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 28th, 2008, 8:09 am

Thanks for the concept arts :D.
I like the idea thought the concept arts themselfs arn't really good in my opinion but that's how it is with concept arts.
I thought it's about fairy tale like dragons,not Viking like dragons but we allready had that in Shrek so Viking is more original,did Viking had any dragons?.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » March 18th, 2008, 1:12 am

The cast for the movie was just announced...

www.variety.com/article/VR1117982562.ht ... id=13&cs=1

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 18th, 2008, 3:12 am

Nice images. If they can keep this from wandering too far into Shrek territory, it could be a pretty good film (although an in-joke reference wouldn't be out of place).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 18th, 2008, 8:30 am

"Ultimate 3-D"?

What do they call it when holographic cubes really come into existence?

RRU3DDDDDD? Really Really Ultimate 3 Dimensional Disney Dolby DreamWorks Digital?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 19th, 2008, 11:26 pm

Calling it "Ultimate 3-D" is just silly. Whether it's the first CGI animated film made for the format or not, audiences aren't gong to care.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 19th, 2008, 11:36 pm

Some people may not think twice about it but I think there are going to be a lot of people that will take a second look or consider seeing the film because they think it is something revolutionary. It's kind of whetting their appetite for something new and exciting. It will get people talking, like we are now. And when they bring up the topic of ultimate 3d they will mention this movie, therefore possibly making more people aware of it who might not have thought about it otherwise.

Hm... I might have just confused myself, it's what I get when I'm tired.

The title is kind of silly but it is "different" and generating a lot of talk.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 20th, 2008, 3:33 pm

I personally am 100 percent AGAINST the idea of producing films in 3D only with no traditional version. Watching something in 3D once, maybe twice, would be good for a novelty but I wouldn't want to watch it that way every time. What they ought to do, even though it requires more work, is to produce both 3D and traditional versions, putting the same amount of care and effort into each, and release both in a single dvd package. That way you satisfy both segments of the market and don't have to worry about potential backlash.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » March 20th, 2008, 8:00 pm

Eddievalient,

According to the following article, Katzenberg suggests it is unlikely that we will see 3-D movies in the home any time soon (maybe three to four years).

www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_di ... af921?pn=1

Also, I doubt very much any of the studio would come out with movies in 3-D only simply because not all theatres around the world will be equipped with 3-D projectors by 2009.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 21st, 2008, 10:26 am

I recently saw a demo of 3D for the home using the same system as movie theaters use now.

It was okay, but no-where near as good as a theater. The flatscreen TV needs to be of sufficient size (this was a 50inch) and it needs to run on DLP technology instead of the cheaper LCDs that have become the norm. You're still required to wear the polarising specs, but most of all was the cost, between $8000 and $12000 for a system, including the right kind of Blu-Ray player.

It was fairly impressive, but still, films need to be framed with this content in mind - and most then don't work in their flat versions. The demo they had playing featured a girl on a swing - okay, as long as she didn't swing out of frame. It was pretty disconcerting to see her body coming towards us, out of the screen, and then see her head vanishing as she emerged further than the boundaries of the framing.

3D in the home still has a LONG way to go!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 21st, 2008, 3:14 pm

CGIFanatic wrote: Also, I doubt very much any of the studio would come out with movies in 3-D only simply because not all theatres around the world will be equipped with 3-D projectors by 2009.
I certainly hope that they wouldn't start releasing these things in 3-D only. I don't have a digital theater near me, so I wouldn't be able to see the movies at all if they did that.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 27th, 2008, 12:44 am

Wow....Chris Sanders is now directing How to Train Your Dragon! :) (Crood Awakening as well.)

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film ... n#comments
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » September 27th, 2008, 2:18 pm

Looks nice!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » September 29th, 2008, 2:00 am

Let me get in here a bit....
Ben wrote:The flatscreen TV needs to be of sufficient size (this was a 50inch) and it needs to run on DLP technology instead of the cheaper LCDs that have become the norm.
Not necessarily. I just saw a kickass one that was LCD.

You're still required to wear the polarising specs, but most of all was the cost, between $8000 and $12000 for a system, including the right kind of Blu-Ray player.
The one I saw didn't have a price, but it used a standard blu-ray player.

I don't think when it hits the market that it will be much more than a standard LCD tv. It won't even be double the price, eventually.

It was fairly impressive, but still, films need to be framed with this content in mind - and most then don't work in their flat versions.
The one I saw had both versions of the movie on the same Blu-ray disk. Those disks are plenty big enough to handle both versions.

And yes, they DO work in their flat versions. I've done plenty of dual-release movies (3 now, counting Bolt). They work.

The demo they had playing featured a girl on a swing - okay, as long as she didn't swing out of frame. It was pretty disconcerting to see her body coming towards us, out of the screen, and then see her head vanishing as she emerged further than the boundaries of the framing.
That's the fault of the people making that video. You don't have that problem if you float a 3-d window out in front of the girl. That's standard with Disney Digital 3D.

3D in the home still has a LONG way to go!
Nope. Honestly, it could be done right now.