Pinocchio: Platinum Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » March 31st, 2009, 10:25 pm

Ben wrote:Thank you for providing me with one of the biggest laughs of recent years. Honestly, I haven't laughed so much since Team America.
If your talking about what i said, you welcome.
I'm glad you have a great sense of humor.

I only said that because I never really watched the movies that were produced while Walt Disney was still alive.

I grew up watching during the 90's. That was my time period. I love the 90's movies that they made.

So basically my opinion was bias just because I never grew up watching Sleeping Beauty or Pinocchio.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 31st, 2009, 11:10 pm

The bulk of the 90's Disney films are very much a product of their time.

The majority of the films Walt Disney produced -- and they were made well before I was born -- are timeless.

There's a huge difference, there.

Part of the problem with most of the humor in films today (and that's true for most comedy since the beginning of film) is political topicality and the tendency to sneak in jokes about current trends and celebrity. The problem is that kind of humor gets dated really quickly and dates those films, too. A lot of what was considered funny 60-70 years ago isn't that funny today because people can't understand the context in which a lot of jokes were made. It's a tribute to a film WHEN you can still understand and appreciate the humor decades later WITHOUT having to take a history course or ask an older relative why a joke's funny!

Walt Disney films (produced during his lifetime) dealt with timeless topics and subjects that have affected human beings for as long as society has existed. I'm not saying any of the films made in the 1990s don't touch on these themes, too, but the need to interject "hip humor" and topical jokes has definitely affected the way some of those films play today.

I would say The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and (to a much lesser extent) Aladdin have escaped that little curse. The films made after 1994 (including The Lion King), have unique problems with humor in different places.

The Lion King itself is a controversial topic when it becomes obvious that it lifted so many elements and basic plotlines from Kimba: The White Lion without properly crediting the original Japanese source which pre-dated The Lion King by three decades! That has been covered on several websites and in this observer's opinion is undeniably true when presented with the visual evidence.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 31st, 2009, 11:38 pm

Aaron_03 wrote:I grew up watching during the 90's. That was my time period. I love the 90's movies that they made.

So basically my opinion was bias just because I never grew up watching Sleeping Beauty or Pinocchio.
So...you made an opinion based on something you'd never heard of.

Um, okay--Usually, the procedure is to make opinions on things you HAVE heard of.
Darn nice that we've got DVD's just for that, ain't it?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » April 1st, 2009, 10:22 pm

I watched Pinocchio but at a older age. I think that could have something to do with it.

Banned
Banned

Post by Christmas_Boy42 » April 3rd, 2009, 12:07 am

I'm still irked about the dropped audio lines from the restoration (that's just sloppy) and bummed that not all of the LD features are ported over. There's a lot of cut songs and things known to exist in one form or another that we heard nothing about on the DVD and there was barely a peep about the aborted attempt at Pinocchio. That gets glanced over but nothing is said on the original take for Geppetto and what about all of the cut sequences? Several animators said enough sequences were boarded that the film would have ran 2 days if they were all animated. Why do we only get to see 3? Personally I'd like to see the Bogeyland sequences Bill Peet worked on and other legendary cut Pinocchio material. This DVD wasn't bad but it should have out done Snow White with bonus content and it does not. It's still better than many recent Platinums though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 3rd, 2009, 1:01 am

...Read the Bill Peet autobiography too? ;)

My favorite Peet anecdote (also not mentioned in the featurettes) was how Walt supposedly liked the scenes with Honest John so much during meetings that he went into Snow-White-storyboard mode and started acting out the moves of the character--
And if you look the final designs of the Fox...he's got Walt eyebrows. Can't mistake them for anything else.

Banned
Banned

Post by Christmas_Boy42 » April 3rd, 2009, 10:27 am

Are you kidding? I grew up with it in my elementary school library. I love how alive Peet's drawings are in that book. I use them as examples of story telling poses in my animation lectures all the time.

Spassky3

Post by Spassky3 » October 4th, 2009, 3:31 pm

Isn't it that Disneyland is the first company introduced the animation in public. And The aims are to attract people to enjoy themselves in a day out at the theme park. For the profit and publicity that keeps disney what it is today. And really I love the product in animation such like Lion King characters, Hercules, Mulan, & Pocahontas and many more. God Bless Disneyland.