Pinocchio: Platinum Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 16th, 2009, 10:22 am

Ben wrote:I very much doubt that they would ever touch or edit a Disney classic like Pinocchio in any way.

Cutting a sequence from a little seen film like Make Mine Music, or snipping a shot from Fantasia that the majority wouldn't notice is one thing (however wrong it is) but Pinocchio has been out enough times in cinemas and on home video for even regular fans to work out something was different. Even if this were the case, I'm sure they would have to offer kids and adult collectors' editions...even though Pinocchio is now perceived as a child's product, this is a piece of movie history, and with enough big name fans behind it there would be an uproar.

Ah, but Lady and the Tramp was edited. It was subtle, but fans of the film did see it.

As for Pinocchio on Blu-Ray, I've got it but haven't seen it yet.

I did read part of the piece on it at Toon Zone and was impressed by the article on the "framing" option for the film. With all the knuckleheads (re: insert your choice of word for deliberately ignorant, refuse to educate themselves) that still don't get it about aspect ratio or hate black bars, the framing is actually a nice, classy option for the film.

I'd be okay with black bordering, but maybe this will quiet all the soccer moms and dimbulbs that just won't get it about aspect ratio, period. I've seen too much of my share of people whose eyes glaze over (the "look of the lost") when someone tries to explain widescreen and aspect ratio to these people. My mom's bichon is less confused about a lot of things!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 17th, 2009, 2:55 am

Yes, the framing was done well but you can also do it with the black bordering if you want. In fact, I believe it defaults to the black bars on the side.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MrsTashlin » March 21st, 2009, 12:15 pm

Aaron_03 wrote:I got a 3D cup with it. Did Sleeping Beauty have any free giveaway?

I know they put out a lil makeup/beauty set with SB. I got a mini looking lunch box. I posted pix of it somewhere..i think in the SB DVD thread.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 23rd, 2009, 9:17 pm

Yah, though the image links don't work anymore.

As for Pinocchio, I just got the Wal-Mart plush in the mail over the weekend! It is NICE! It's also a beanie, which makes it even more cooler in my books. If it weren't for the tag, I swear it came from the Disney Store. The material they used is very good, and the embroidered parts are perfect! Finally I have a regular Jimminy plush, before I only had a St Patrick version.

The actual restoration for the Blu I thought was good. I've already seen it three times!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » March 24th, 2009, 11:23 pm

Daniel wrote:The actual restoration for the Blu I thought was good. I've already seen it three times!
I haven't even seen it once.

I'm actually not going t watch any movies until I get the HDMI cable from disney movie rewards.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Disney Platinum Edition/Movie Thread.

Post by Aaron_03 » March 28th, 2009, 6:30 pm

So there is a lot of confusion about Disney and Platinum Editions.

Disney releases 2 platinum editions per year in October and March.

I think there is 15 Platinum Editions in the collection.
What I heard Disney is doing they have a 7 to 8 year rotation which means each movie will be re-released every 7 to 8 years.

These are the movies that are in the Platinum Edition Collection...
1. Sleeping Beauty (October 7th, 2008)
2. Pinocchio (March 12th, 2009)
3. Snow White (October 6th, 2009)
4. Both Fantasias (March 2nd, 2010)
5. Beauty and the Beast (October 5th, 2010)
* the rest don't have an official release date.
6. Alice in Wonderland (March 2011)
7. Lion King (October 2011)
8. Bambi (March 2012)
9. Aladdin (October 2012)
10. Cinderella (March 2013)
11. Lady and the Tramp (October 2013)
12. Peter Pan (March 2014)
13. Little Mermaid (October 2014)
14. Jungle Book (March 2015)
15. 101 Dalmatians (October 2015)

This is a good collection, but I have some MAJOR problems with it. Some moves should join that collection.

I'm sure that Hercules, Aristocats and Pocohauntas definitely should be in it.

And there are a few that should be in it, however there are rumors that some Disney titles might be coming out for DVD and Blu Ray in the Summer of 2010.

- Tarzan, Hercules, Pocohauntas, Mulan, and Tarzan.
I also heard the Hunchback of Notre Dame could be coming in 2011 along with the Rescuers Down Under.

Anyway i wish that Disney would add more titles to the Platinum Editon Collection/rotation.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 28th, 2009, 7:14 pm

This doesn't mean that other films will not be released.

And it doesn't mean the Platinum Editions are perfect. Far from it.

And do we really need a fairly redundant poll like this when much more observant comments are being made elsewhere in other threads?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 28th, 2009, 11:59 pm

One needs to realize that Disney has never kept to its own plans with the Platinums, and they are very inconsistent with how they package their movies. They originally were to have only 10 Platinum DVD releases, one a year. They eventually went to two a year, and began adding titles. Meanwhile, there were de facto Platinum releases (Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty) that were instead labeled "2-disc Special Editions" for no apparent reason (those "2-disc Special Editions" were actually better than some of the Platinums).

Besides, the original list never had Pinocchio or Fantasia, which was really preposterous. In the end, it's all meaningless marketing, and the business plan constantly changes.

Once they run out of worthy titles, they'll eventually have to give better editions to even their weakest titles. And, by the way, that includes Aristocats.

Deja vu. I'm pretty sure I've written this rant before.

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 29th, 2009, 5:13 am

Yeah, and I think I've already done the bit about the "90's Orphans"--like Hercules, Pocahontas, Hunchback and Tarzan--that Disney still thinks are "unwanted" because they flopped in their theatrical releases, regardless of later video sales, and how that mindset's too entrenched at the studios to change it any time soon--
Pretty much no new territory to explore here...Anyone for lunch? :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 29th, 2009, 10:09 am

Actually, <I>Tarzan</I> was a bona fide hit, even if some of the takings <I>might</I> have been down to kids buying tickets for it and sneaking into <I>South Park: BL&U</I> instead!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 29th, 2009, 1:52 pm

Actually, pretty much everything between Pocahontas and Home on the Range inclusive is considered the "orphaned" 90's Post-Katzenberg Malaise at the studio--Even to the point of including Mulan, L&S and Emperor's New Groove on the list, which were well-received hits at the time.
Just that the image of the "bad" films got mixed in with Eisner's "No more 2-disks!" DVD problems after Atlantis, and all the bad press/I&P-demonizing from the Massacre of '03 ended up fueling the historical revisionism.

Hey, I'd like to see a new "Family edition" bells-and-whistles double-dipping of Hercules, too, but let's face facts, Disney's still got '99 On the Brain.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 30th, 2009, 1:57 pm

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 30th, 2009, 2:53 pm

I still think this is the best animated feature Walt Disney ever produced.

It is a shame that it's so overlooked and criticized by people who have never seen it and have no idea what they're talking about...

It sounds like the digital restoration wasn't as bad was what was done with Snow White prior to its DVD release.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » March 30th, 2009, 4:17 pm

GeorgeC wrote:I still think this is the best animated feature Walt Disney ever produced.

It is a shame that it's so overlooked and criticized by people who have never seen it and have no idea what they're talking about...

It sounds like the digital restoration wasn't as bad was what was done with Snow White prior to its DVD release.
It's a good movie, but doesn't even compare to the Lion King and others.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 31st, 2009, 6:29 am

Thank you for providing me with one of the biggest laughs of recent years. Honestly, I haven't laughed so much since Team America.