Walt Disney Treasures

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » December 5th, 2004, 11:43 pm

Thanks for the info, guys...i believe that is how this mess started...someone on ebay was selling them individually.

To my knowledge, there isn't a Costco around here.

On one hand, i like the numbered tins and certificates.

On the other...that's a freakin' good deal! :lol:
"When cartoonists draw, they should strive to create enduring images. These images are extremely important, and we have to keep growing and getting better." -Charles Schulz

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 5th, 2004, 11:55 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » December 6th, 2004, 12:32 am

Thanks, James! :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 7th, 2004, 3:30 am

Okay...just added the Complete Pluto review:

http://www.dvdtoons.com/reviews/360

Got it up JUST in time so that it was still a day early! :)

GeorgeC

Any tips on when "Lorenzo" may be released on home

Post by GeorgeC » December 10th, 2004, 3:12 am

Lorenzo is one of the few theatrical shorts I really want to see on home video.

I didn't want to waste movie on a lousy Kate Hudson chick flick ("Raising Helen" -- and it's NOT on that movie's DVD) just to see the short. The only bits of it I've seen are from the teaser I downloaded from the Web (courtesy of a link from this site)!

Looks like a great little film.

Hope it gets released on DVD soon!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 10th, 2004, 10:33 am

Lorenzo was, as with One By One and Destino, originally a section of the third Fantatsia-styled pic, known as The Music Project.

It was to contain not justclassic musical, but contemporary and specially written stuff too, hence the title change (though most guesses have it that this would have wound up as Fantasia anyway, for the name recognition).

The fate of these is now undecided: Destino was to come out in a Special Edition DVD with documentary, while many expected Lorenzo to at least turn up on the Hudson film's DVD (and what a weird one to add it to - why no Around The World In 80 Days, for example).

At least the exceptional One By One saw a release on the otherwise drippy Lion King II disc out earlier this year.

I'd like to see a disc of Disney's recent, outstanding on DVD, shorts appear as one compendium. It won't happen, but wouldn't it be great to see:

Oilspot And Lipstick – 1987
Bonkers: Petal To The Metal – 1992
Off His Rockers – 1992
Totally Twisted Fairytales: Little Redux Riding Hood – 1998
Totally Twisted Fairytales: The Three Little Pigs – 1998
Totally Twisted Fairytales: Jack And The Beanstock – 1999
John Henry – 2000 (completed) / 2002 (released)
Destino – 2003
One By One – 2003
Lorenzo – 2004

...all on the one DVD? Da-roooooooooooool!! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » December 10th, 2004, 2:38 pm

I haven't seen it yet, but wouldn't "The Cat Who Looked at the King" from the Mary Poppins DVD also fit onto this list?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 10th, 2004, 8:40 pm

Y'know, I had that on there for a while, but then took it off for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, these are recent Disney shorts that are not on DVD (John Henry is not available in it's full, uncut, original aspect ratio version).

Mary Poppins: The Cat That Looked At A King IS on DVD (or will be from Tuesday!) for a start, plus it has been created by the DisneyToon Studios people and animated in Japan, so not a "truly" Burbank-created short as those above all were.

Hope that explains!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » December 13th, 2004, 8:27 am

I don't mean to sound argumentative. I'm just looking for information.

Is the version of "One By One" on the Lion King 2 DVD lacking in some way?

And weren't "Bonkers" and the three "Totally Twisted Fairytales" created by the Television group (Disney Toon Studios) and animated overseas? Or have I been misinformed?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 13th, 2004, 1:39 pm

No "argumentative" stance taken or assumed, Phil! :)

Yeah...that's interesting about One By One. Didn't think of that. My only reason for putting it on would be as it was once part-and-parcel of the Music Project and would be good to have it "reunited" with Destino and Lorenzo. The Lion King II version is not lacking in any way, and is worth picking up just for that short film.

Bonkers and the Totally Twisted Fairytales WERE created by the TV Animation group (before they were DisneyToon), but were released theatrically to festivals and on limited release prints, so do count as theatrical shorts.

I've kept the new Poppins short off (though I guess by rights it should be on there), since it is not a theatrical film, and was made by the DTV group directly for the DVD.

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » December 14th, 2004, 8:41 am

Thanks for the clarifications. There are many sources of information for Disney's animated features, but very few for their animated shorts. I've had to collect bits of information from everywhere and piece them together.

We're getting off the topic of Lorenzo, but does anyone know if Pixar's shorts are another category of Disney shorts? I know that the contract was for five features after Toy Story, but what about the shorts? Are Boundin' and For the Birds also co-productions? Or are they strictly property of Pixar?

Any information would be appreciated.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 14th, 2004, 2:39 pm

Pixar shorts are Pixar shorts.

Disney has never had any ownership of them (apart from Mike's New Car and the new Incredibles one that'll be on the DVD), and only licenses them for inclusion on the theatrical film prints and the one-off issue of Tiny Toy Stories on VHS.

Andre And Wally B, Luxo Jr, Red's Dream, Tin Toy, Knick Knack, Geri's Game, For The Birds and Boundin' are all Pixar productions.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 14th, 2004, 10:02 pm

There were some copyright questions about Andre and Wally B a few years back when Pixar released Tin Toy Stories, a VHS compilation of all the Pixar shorts done to that point EXCEPT Andre and Wally B.

The explanation that I've read was that LucasFilm still owned the Andre and Wally B short and that Pixar was expected to negotiate licensing terms or buy the short from LucasFilm if they wanted to release it in a future compilation. Andre and Wally B was made as a test film while Pixar was still the computer animation(/digital effects?) division of LucasFilm (around 1983/1984?). Around 1986 or thereabouts, George Lucas sold Pixar to Stever Jobs, co-founder of Apple. LucasFilm eventually started a new computer animation division years later...

I really don't know how this affected the Toy Story LD boxset released almost 10 years ago. I think Andre and Wally B IS on that set. (I must confess that even though I own the Toy Story LD set I haven't watched it all the way through so I can't answer this question directly.) It's possible the whole licensing/ownership business didn't rear its ugly because A) the whole laserdisc market was very small worldwide and companies couldn't be expected to make much of a killing on any single laserdisc title, and B) with Toy Story having just been released, Pixar wasn't quite yet the respected name and powerhouse it is now.

Frankly, it would have been cheaper for Pixar to buy back the short 10 years ago than it would probably be now -- assuming they still don't own Andre and Wally B.

I never got the Tin Toy Stories VHS tape because I assumed that it would eventually be re-released on DVD -- which, of course, hasn't happened yet.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 15th, 2004, 10:38 am

GeorgeC wrote:(I must confess that even though I own the Toy Story LD set I haven't watched it all the way through so I can't answer this question directly.)
...And what? It's too much trouble to slide that box out and check the liner sleeve for the contents? :)

Yes, Andre And Wally B is on the Toy Story box. Pixar DO own the short, but seem to be restricted in where it can be included. Note that it's on their website.

The Pixar short get released in drips and drabs on DVD. The Toy Stories both had shorts, and the only one really outstanding now is Red's Dream.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 16th, 2004, 12:52 am

I don't have the Toy Story LD box with me right now.

It's in storage with a LOT of other things at my parents' house right now! LOL

But seriously, I've wondered for a while why Pixar hasn't released an updated version of the Tin Toy Stories VHS on DVD. It seems like a natural and would be a way for people to get the shorts without having to buy every single feature film.

There are more than a few shorts that really aren't on the feature film sets and it would be nice to see some supporting material about the shorts that got Pixar started.

In away, the Pixar shorts of the 1980s and early 1990s are the Silly Symphonies of CGI animation. But it seems they're being neglected in a way just as the Silly Symphonies have been for a long time -- aside from one incomplete Treasure Collection 3(?) years ago.