AV Founder
AV Founder

Walt Disney Legacy Collection: The True Life Adventures

Post by Ben » August 26th, 2006, 8:58 am

We haven't posted this on the front page, but these look great:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/index.htm

Scroll down to read, or catch it here:
------------------------------------------

August 21, 2006 - Retailers have been told to expect four volumes of Walt Disney's True-Life Adventures on December 5th, as the debut wave of a new line called Walt Disney's Legacy Collection. With featured content ranging from just under to well over 300 minutes, each volume will be a two-disc set carrying a $32.99 suggested retail price, much like the annual Walt Disney Treasures. UPDATE: UD has learned the contents of these sets. Read on...

Volume 1: Wonders of the World will hold the Oscar-winning 1958 feature White Wilderness; the Oscar-winning two-reel (roughly 30 minute) shorts Seal Island (1948), Beaver Valley (1950), Nature's Half Acre (1951), and Water Birds (1952); plus Nature's Strangest Creatures (1959) and more.

Volume 2: Lands of Exploration will contain a pair of Best Documentary Oscar winners in The Living Desert (1953) and The Vanishing Prairie (1954), in addition to Prowlers of the Everglades (1953), Islands of the Sea (1960), and the anthology episodes "Behind the True-Life Cameras" (1955), "The Crisler Story" (1957) and "Yellowstone Story" (1957).

Volume 3: Creatures of the Wild boasts feature-length flicks The African Lion (1955) and Jungle Cat (1960), as well as 1952's Olympic Elk, 1953's Bear Country, 1955's Emperor Penguins, and the "Disneyland" installment "Cameras in Africa" (1954) and more.

Finally, Volume 4: Nature's Mysteries will serve up 1956's feature-length Secrets of Life and the lone True-Life Fantasy Perri (1957), as well as Mysteries of the Deep (1959) and the anthology episodes "Searching for Nature's Mysteries" (1956) and "Adventure in Wildwood Heart" (1957).

Each set will include collectible packaging, an exclusive in-package keepsake, and introductions by Roy Disney. Like the Treasures, these will be available in limited quantities. It is not yet clear if this scheduling means the four titles expected to comprise Wave 6 of the Walt Disney Treasures are being delayed or if Buena Vista Home Entertainment is planning one mammoth release date for the first Tuesday of December, which is already supposed to bring the year's top-grossing film Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and two virtual board game DVDs, and may now prove especially costly for fans of Walt-era fare.

---------------------------------------

Here's a complete list of the TLAs:

Seal Island – 1949
In Beaver Valley – 1950
Nature’s Half Acre – 1951
The Olympic Elk – 1952
Water Birds – 1952
The Living Desert – 1953 (feature, first Buena Vista release)
Bear Country – 1953
Prowlers Of The Everglades – 1953
The Vanishing Prairie – 1954 (feature)
The Emperor Penguins – 1955 (unofficial, acquired for distribution)
The African Lion – 1955 (feature)
Secrets Of Life – 1956 (feature)
White Wilderness – 1958 (feature)
Grand Canyon – 1959 (unofficial)
Nature’s Strangest Creatures – 1959 (unofficial)
Mysteries Of The Deep – 1959 (unofficial)
Islands Of The Sea – 1960 (unofficial)
Jungle Cat – 1960 (final nature film)
The Best Of Walt Disney’s True Life Adventures – 1975 (unofficial)

...so they are including pretty much ALL of the titles that were and were not not official series releases, PLUS some cool DisneyLand shows.

The omission of Grand Canyon and The Best Of Walt Disney’s True Life Adventures is understandable. I'd expect Grand Canyon to turn up somewhere else (I think it's already on the Sleeping Beauty set?) and The Best Of... was a compilation film that wasn't actually part of the series. I'd expect a single disc separate release for this like we got with the Davy Crocketts.

Now, Perri was the only officially titled True Life Fantasy, but there WERE others. Unofficially counted in the same group by Disney are:

Stormy, The Thoroughbred With An Inferiority Complex – 1954 (unofficial)
Perri – 1957
Nikki, The Wild Dog Of The North – 1961
Chico, The Misunderstood Coyote – 1962
The Legend Of Lobo – 1962
Sammy, The Way-Out Seal – 1963
The Incredible Journey – 1963
Flash, The Teenage Otter – 1964
Sancho, The Homing Steer – 1964
A Country Coyote Goes Hollywood – 1965
Tiger, The Wahoo Bobcat – 1965
Greta, The Misfit Greyhound – 1966
Run, Appaloosa, Run! – 1966
The Legend Of The Boy And The Eagle – 1967
Charlie The Lonesome Cougar – 1967
Pablo And The Dancing Chihuahua – 1969
King Of The Grizzlies – 1969
Run, Cougar, Run – 1972
Verda, The Peregrine Falcon – 1973
The Bears And I – 1974
Return Of The Big Cat – 1975
The Best Of Walt Disney’s True Life Adventures – 1975

Since they're putting out Perri in this wave, it comes to reason that another wave could see more of these types of films emerge, and perhaps we'll get The Best Of TLA bundled in with these other films?

Of course the next wave might prefer to count the People And Places titles among their content, which would also be very cool.

Glad to see Roy flexing his legacy muscles! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 26th, 2006, 6:09 pm

The Incredible Journey – 1963

Hmmm.....wasn't this remade as "Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey" in 1993? (Michael J. Fox did a voice in it.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 26th, 2006, 7:04 pm

Yes, that was a remake. Not sure that warranted a "hmmm" though! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hennie » August 28th, 2006, 2:56 pm

Very glad this comes to DVD, like it more then the animated movies:D
[url=http://www.disneyinfo.nl/forum/profiler.php?uid=2]My Disney Collectie[/url]

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 30th, 2006, 10:55 pm

Think I'm skipping this collection.

I want more Disney classic ANIMATION... Never really cared much for their live-action stuff to be honest. Even the Walt-era doesn't have a lot of great live-action films besides Mary Poppins and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Nature films are interesting up to a point, but I've kind of outgrown the cutesy, obvious manipulation of the True-Life Adventures series.

Sorry, but I've already got Animal Planet to watch if I want to.

I think Disney is making a BIG mistake delaying the next Treasures releases for this stuff.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 31st, 2006, 7:20 am

GeorgeC wrote:I want more Disney classic ANIMATION...
I'd like more Disney animation too. I wouldn't mind these (the TLAs) as the separate series that they are, but the Treasures are becoming very diluted. The Mickey Mouse Club serials are fun enough but don't warrant complete Treasure sets. If they were separate releases I wouldn't get them, but I'd also hate to look back later and not have a complete set of Treasures. That said, it's how Disney get away with that stuff since they know so many purchases are completionist buys. And with the "Your Host" set duplicating half of its material from other releases, that one is really starting to push the collectibility of the series to breaking point.

GeorgeC wrote:Even the Walt-era doesn't have a lot of great live-action films.
????????????????????????? !!

True, Disney does not have the hugest library of classic all-timers like Warner/MGM/RKO or even maybe Fox, but what they have are real gems. Goodness, I couldn't even begin a list of the really good ones, but Treasure Island, The Parent Trap, The Incredible Journey, etc, come to mind. There are a lot of so-so comedies and some real yawn inducers on the drama front, but it's more than just Poppins and Leagues.

GeorgeC wrote:I've kind of outgrown the cutesy, obvious manipulation of the True-Life Adventures series.
Yes, but remember that nature docs of the kind we know today really did start here with Walt's encouragement, so for me they have a historical lure as well. I also don't think these sets will sell in amazingly high quantities, and would most likely end up at the bottom end of the release pile on any future format, so I'm going to grab them while I can, especially since these eight discs cover the entire series in one hit.

GeorgeC wrote:I think Disney is making a BIG mistake delaying the next Treasures releases for this stuff.
Don't agree that it's a mistake, what with so much other product out in the market on that same date, and it won't hurt sales. Those that want them will want them. Also, has it been confirmed the Treasures are being held back/replaced with this series? Maybe its because the slate that was released one March proved more successful? If so, we'll only have to wait a four months more and it has to be said that this next wave isn't really anything to shout about, save the completion of Pluto and the Symphonies, which we've been waiting an age for anyway.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 22nd, 2006, 3:34 am

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... /5882.aspx

This kinda has to do with the topic in that it relates to the whole nature/Disney/wildlife issue.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and Destino coming to DVD!

Post by David » November 21st, 2006, 1:42 am

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 21st, 2006, 8:32 am

OMG! OMG! OMG!

I thought that's what this serries would add up to... A Roy-Fest that presents some of the most amazing stuff!

Was lucky enough to see Destino recently. Can't see how they'd make up a two-disc set for it though? Maybe Wave Two will be singles?

And at least we know what happened to the DisneyLand special in the end!

Very, very cool. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » November 21st, 2006, 10:04 am

Yeah Destino is currently showed in PARIS at the Walt Disney exhibit, it's a real masterpiece, though really weird. Exciting news for those DVDs along qith the long delayed Disneyland one!
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 21st, 2006, 10:16 am

They used to show True Life Adventures on Vault Disney sometimes. But for some reason they were black & white. It was maybe from from a b &w print they had for b & w TV's?? :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 21st, 2006, 11:38 am

Some of them were black and white, especially the made-for-TV ones. The features were all color though, and most of the theatrical featurettes were too. Odd!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » November 21st, 2006, 2:10 pm

Oh wow I'm going to cry! Course we probably won't get it in the UK but at least it's a good sign that the new Oswald will be unveiled within the near future.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 21st, 2006, 2:42 pm

Snazzle! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 21st, 2006, 5:51 pm

OMG! That is exiting.

Its good to see Oswald making a comeback ;)