Walt Disney Treasures

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 14th, 2008, 7:19 pm

Ben wrote:I have all my Treasures lined up and pretty darned neat they look too. Dr Syn was the first you bought? None of the previous animation ones?
Nnnope--I found the Disney shorts droll, but never considered Mickey & co. as ownership-worthy in the toon pantheon as much as the Bugs, Tex and Popeye boxes were.
(Although "Compleat Goofy" was pretty darn close, and I at least got to see "Chronological Donald I" on Netflix.)

Now, if they finally ever do that "Disney Educational" or "Welcome to WDW" set we've been pestering them for, maybe I'll own more than one. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 17th, 2008, 11:30 pm

From Leonard Maltin's website:
Leonard Maltin wrote:I’m not yet sure what will be included in next year’s batch of Treasures but I have been assured that the series will continue, which is little short of a miracle given the fact that I was told it was all over several years ago. I’m eternally grateful to Dick Cook, President of The Walt Disney Company, for giving me the green light when I approached him with this idea nine years ago. It has truly been a labor of love.
Yay!! :)

As a recap, I was able to get Donald the other day - last one to boot! But I haven't opened it yet, since it's a Christmas present to myself... oh the agony! I've been hearing good words on this Wave though, so can't wait to "see it" for myself so to speak.

However, on Donald, there's been discussion that the short, "Bee On Guard", is cut. As I understand it, the last five seconds are what is missing. I know the short quite well and just saw it again, but I'm not sure if I would be OK with it edited. The Treasures pride themselves as being uncut, with a few exceptions, and with the way they handled Silly Symphonies they might consider doing a disc exchange. If it's offered, cool, I'll phone in, but if not I'll be content. Not a huge concern... then again, I haven't seen the edit myself so who knows how I will react. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by David » November 18th, 2008, 3:56 am

Ben wrote:Interesting to compare lists one day...I'm sure we're both missing or overlooked some material here and there. :)
Hehe, It's a date ;) Out of curiosity, why is "The Coyote's Lament" on your list? Simply because it was relesed theatrically overseas?
Ben wrote:Personally, I don't see the Treasures going to Blu-ray, not in the current configuration. The sales are low enough as is, and then they'd only be appealing to a niche of a niche.
But saying that, it's pretty much a miracle they're still coming out on DVD considering how low the print runs are. So you never know, It's perfectly plausible to relese the stuff and make a profit. It's just Disney is used to big numbers and would have to alter their expectations.
Daniel wrote:However, on Donald, there's been discussion that the short, "Bee On Guard", is cut. As I understand it, the last five seconds are what is missing. I know the short quite well and just saw it again, but I'm not sure if I would be OK with it edited. The Treasures pride themselves as being uncut, with a few exceptions, and with the way they handled Silly Symphonies they might consider doing a disc exchange. If it's offered, cool, I'll phone in, but if not I'll be content. Not a huge concern... then again, I haven't seen the edit myself so who knows how I will react.
You know I'm virtually certain that Bee on Guard has been released somewhere else on of Disney's many compilation DVDs, so there's always that as a backup should they not offer a disc replacement.

And as for The Three Little Pigs The region 2 version of the Walt Disney Treasures corrected the mistake and had the short with the original animation. And since the UK versions were not limited you can buy them for the insanely low price of about £3 now. If you're after a R1 version, I'm about 80% certain the version with the original animation turned up on one of the R1 Timeless Tales DVDs.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 18th, 2008, 9:27 am

"The Coyote's Lament" is down in my official Disney lists as both a Pluto cartoon and a Special. That's according to Disney's updated catalog as of 1989.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 10th, 2008, 3:45 pm

Somone on UD recieved the Zorro lithograph through DMA and it came with a flyer that confirms Zorro will be in next Treasures line. Here are the scans.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 10th, 2008, 4:22 pm

Although likely to be the theatrical Movies, to keep it in a 2-disk set, since the Season 1 alone runs four disks...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 11th, 2008, 8:24 am

Actually, Eric, we're more likely to be getting the four one-hour episodes that made up an unofficial "season three".

After the half-hour series ran its course, Disney brought Zorro back in four regular episodes of Walt Disney Presents. The half-hour series is already available to Disney Club members, with the second season just starting to trickle out in that format.

I'll reckon we get the four one-hours and <I>maybe</I> the theatrical spin-offs: <I>The Sign Of Zorro</I> was made up from footage from the first season, released internationally where the TV show had not yet aired. <I>Zorro, The Avenger</I>, was made up from second season programs, again released where the original shows had not been seen.

That alone would make for a decent set of around three hours material per disc, and a token bonus feature wouldn't go amiss.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 11th, 2008, 11:45 am

Ah man,

We're never going to get a wide release of Zorro?

I'm as big a critic as any of the live-action stuff Walt did -- believe me, his legacy IS animation and not any of the live-action stuff he did aside from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea(!) --, but I LIKE the Guy Williams Zorro!

So, they've chickened and basically only offer the show online to Movie Club Members? That stinks! They could have sold it in the Treasures series!

Furthermore, why aren't they marketing the show in Latin America? It's a classic down there and Guy Williams was idolized in the Southern Hemisphere!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 11th, 2008, 3:59 pm

Not sure why you're surprised, given you mentioned Zorro being part of DMC in the MIA thread.

Zorro is also available on DMR and with you signing up, if you have enough points you could redeem it... or if not, work towards it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 11th, 2008, 4:46 pm

No-one said we wouldn't get a wide release of Zorro...it's just not available as anything other than a Disney Exclusive...yet.

Besides, they couldn't sell the half hour episodes off in the Treasures since it's a multi-disc show that would play away from the two disc Treasure sets. True, they could put out volume after volume, but even if they'd started when the Treasured debuted they'd still be a long way off completing the series.

Better to offer it this way (I still don't get the feelings against saving the points toward getting it <I>for free</I> as a DMR) than not at all. I believe a couple of the DMR films have since become "wide" releases, but the way I see it, <I>any</I>one can buy a Disney DVD, register for the code program, save their points, and get the Zorro set. There's absolutely no hassle to that at all!?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 13th, 2008, 2:06 pm

Here's another possible Treasure from Leonard Maltin:
... I'm hoping to pay homage to Ludwig (and Herman), so keep your fingers crossed! cheers, Leonard
Here's hoping!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 13th, 2008, 7:24 pm

Daniel wrote:Here's another possible Treasure from Leonard Maltin:
... I'm hoping to pay homage to Ludwig (and Herman), so keep your fingers crossed! cheers, Leonard
Here's hoping!
...Wait, so (excuse me if I'm tuning in late) Leonard Maltin actually has input on the Treasures, and communicates on webpages?

I'm assuming he's already been deluged at some point with Treasures requests for a 70's East-coast companion to "Disneyland USA", presumably featuring the WDW promotional feature, the Danny Kaye Epcot opening, and 70's-MMC Goes to Disney World?
Or has no one asked yet?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » December 14th, 2008, 12:36 am

lol, I was just about to ask... when did the Maltin gain power over who lives and who dies?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 14th, 2008, 2:30 pm

Yep Eric, it's Leonard's baby! :) These sets were his idea, as such he makes appearances on each set to introduce us to the subject, and provide historical context to sometimes politically incorrect works.

As for communicating, yes to that too. Leonard Maltin has his own website that I've posted a page or so ago. He'll once a while update and give a status on the Treasures. He also keeps in touch with fans via email - where, as I posted above, sometimes give hints on what's on the horizon or what he would love to do next. Fans occasionally do suggest ideas, and I do believe what you mentioned has been brought up before. Keep those fingers crossed!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 14th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Along with the contribution of Roy Disney, these sets would never have come into being without Mr. Maltin's enthusiasm for them.