Monsters vs. Aliens

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 15th, 2009, 8:42 pm

"Ratatouille": Fine, fine meal.

"Monsters Vs. Aliens": MaccyD's.

I think that's what he meant to imply there, but I'm not sure,
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by The Zany Bishojo Evalana » April 15th, 2009, 11:08 pm

In a broader sense, what he's saying is that sometimes one prefers to watch something that isn't a masterpiece, be it something that's just some mindless fun, a slightly flawed story, or even something that only has its voice acting to recommend it (I definitely have a few of these). But I can understand your confusion. I've never seen MaccyD's used as an abbreviation for McDonald's :wink:
[url=http://rabbithutchiscalling.blogspot.com][img]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg78/evalana/sig_feet.png[/img][/url]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 15th, 2009, 11:50 pm

Yes. Pixar films are for when you want to experience the very best in filmmaking. They encompass the director's personal vision, with a unique story to tell. DreamWorks films are for when you just want to have a good time at the movies. Of course, there are exceptions in both cases, but this is how many of us perceive the two studios in general.

In a sense, the DW films are more commerical. They're designed to appeal to kids and families, and to get laughs. And some of them are very good at what they set out to do. And there's nothing wrong with that. Along the way, they even do some great work in various areas. I thought that Kung Fu Panda had the best art direction in an American animated film in years.

And incidentally, I really liked Monsters Vs. Aliens. It met my expectations, without blowing me away. And I'll watch it (or Kung Fu Panda) more often than Wall-E, even if I can see that Wall-E aspired to more than the others.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » April 16th, 2009, 9:38 am

Wendy's Jane wrote:Funnily enough, there's been a lot of complaint about Susan's character for some reason. I've heard a number of people (my mom included) accusing this movie of being too focused on girl power.

Which I find incredibly odd for quite a few reasons, since no one made a big deal about her being a woman in the movie or anything. And like Ben said, there have been very few female leads in animated movies lately. Pixar's never even had one.
It's great to hear,it's time to have a girl who's a hero for a change,because in most CGI movies and espically DreamWorks movies they"re either damsels in distress (Like Fiona and Angie),or a side character (Like Gloria and Stella),DreamWorks could have a movie about a princess but they"re already making fun of Disney (Or fairy tales) in Shrek.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 16th, 2009, 11:23 am

Yah...someone brought up the 5-star restaurant versus fast food chain analogy, but that there's really nothing wrong with either.

So I was really just agreeing, taking it a step further by equating Pixar with a fine meal, but that sometimes, only DreamWorks' fast food (aka the leading brand name for this, McDonald's), hits the spot.

"MaccyD's" (as in "mackie") is a well used abbreviation here, and I didn't think it was used in the US until I heard it used in quite a few films. I do actually remember thinking "ahh, they use MaccyD's too" so thought it would be okay to use it.

My bad. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » April 16th, 2009, 12:57 pm

Actually, McDonald's, in the US is referred to as "Mickey D's" and "Macky D's" (in the UK and Ireland).

It has many other nicknames around the world per Wikipedia:

The brand is known informally as "Mickey D's" (in the US and Canada), "Macky D's" (in the UK and Ireland), "Mäkkäri" (in Finland), "McDo" (in France, Quebec, the Philippines and the Kansai region of Japan), "Maccer's" (in Ireland), "Macarrannis" (in Mexico), "Maccas" (in New Zealand and Australia), "McD's" (in New Zealand), "Donken" (in Sweden), "de Mac" (in the Netherlands), Mäkkes (in Germany), "Mac" (in Brazil), "Makku" (in most of Japan; "Makudo" in the Kansai region); "Mek" (in Serbia), "Mekáč" (in the Czech republic), "Mak-Dak" (in the Russia), Mac (in Portugal) and "MacDon's' (in Canada).

tinyurl.com/rynzp

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 16th, 2009, 1:16 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhh...well I'm glad we fixed that problem then! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » April 16th, 2009, 6:09 pm

Hey, thanks for the emphasis! I was gearing to what you actually meant with the Pixar- Dreamworks food analogy thing. And too, I guess I'm not used to calling A MacDonalds "Maccy D's". Depending on where your from I guess. You guys make everthing much more simpler!
http://www.elioliart.com/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » April 18th, 2009, 3:36 pm

Not a good movie,the jokes are retarded and pretty low level (And Kung Fu Panda had low level scenes),and that's too bad because the story of the monsters was good,Susan,The Missing Link,the doctor and the giant bug were good characters and their voices were good,and Susan was pretty strong... until she had to rescued from the space ship,when finally there's a girl who's a hero and not a side character or a damsel in distress like other CGI/DreamWorks movie,and McDonalds isn't bad.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Tyler_Legrand » April 19th, 2009, 1:52 am

Once Upon A Dream wrote:and McDonalds isn't bad.
Agreed

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » April 20th, 2009, 8:51 am

Yeah,people underestimate it,also I have question-
What happened to the girl and her boyfriend in their car when the robot landed? they died?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » September 30th, 2009, 8:58 pm

NBC has announced two new holiday specials from DreamWorks Animation. Monsters vs. Aliens: Mutant Pumpkins from Outer Space will air on Wednesday, October 28 (8-8:30 p.m. ET, repeating from 8:30-9 p.m. ET). Merry Madagascar will air on Tuesday, November 17 (8-8:30 p.m. ET) and repeat on Saturday, November 28 (8-8:30 p.m. ET).

I'm surprised these specials aren't airing on ABC, since it was the network to air Shrek the Halls. Perhaps Disney's development of its own animated specials had something to do with it. Then again, maybe ABC wasn't approached about the projects. Of course, there's always the possibility that ABC simply didn't offer enough money.