Monsters vs. Aliens

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » December 1st, 2008, 3:10 pm

In this day and age (economy, terrorism, global warming, etc…) we need films that let’s people escape what is happening outside those theatre doors. I’m afraid people in the industry sometimes aim for Shakespeare but in my opinion the occasional “Dumb and Dumber” isn’t such a bad thing…

Obviously, I haven’t seen MvA so it’s too early to judge but what I have seen puts a smile on my face and from what I hear it’s having that same effect on a lot of people.

BTW, Ben, that was an excellent review of Kung-Fu Panda. :D
Last edited by CGIFanatic on December 1st, 2008, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 1st, 2008, 8:14 pm

I've watched KFP twice in one week, so obviously I like it! The story is pretty basic, but the execution is very good. Love the art direction.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 2nd, 2008, 9:10 am

Thanks, CGI!

I ran it twice for the review too! As I said in my comments, never before has something so simple been so layered...glad you liked it Rand...the surprise of the year.

On MvA...yes you need the "dumb" movies...but a shame that DWs seem to be taking a step back after KFP. That they could have had a "dumb" movie <I>and</I> plussed it is what's disappointing me here.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » December 3rd, 2008, 1:57 pm

There's a trailer already? I"m not really exited but maybe the trailer whould change my mind.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 3rd, 2008, 2:53 pm

I was much more excitted by MVA after seeing the trailer. Looks like fun.

And after all, who ever thought Kung Fu Panda would end up being any good?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » December 7th, 2008, 12:07 pm

I think one of these featurettes has been posted here before but the other one I don’t think has been posted before, it has some new footage in it with comments from the voice actors.

www.getthebigpicture.net/blog/2008/12/7 ... ettes.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » December 23rd, 2008, 9:39 am

A new trailer for the movie came out.

www.firstshowing.net/2008/12/23/monster ... s-trailer/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » December 30th, 2008, 2:57 pm

I just saw the trailer again on the MSN site and thought the movie looks really really funny. I'm a little bit surprised no one has commented on the movie. Oh well, I think I'll be watching this movie on IMAX 3D.

movies.msn.com/movies/movie/monsters-vs-aliens/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 5th, 2009, 5:39 pm

From the front page:
---
The Associated Press reports that a 3D advertisement for DreamWork’s upcoming Monsters Vs Aliens will be aired during the Super Bowl. The 90-second sneak preview will have the largest audience of any 3D telecast, with Jeffery Katzenberg pegging it as “perhaps the biggest media-advertising event in history.” About 150 million pairs of 3D glasses will be given away at various Pepsi/SoBe Life Water displays around the country in preparation for the event, and a television ad promoting the sneak peak can be seen here.
---

(Woohoo!--If it's the 3-D system I think it is, I've still got the 80's Coca-cola 3D glasses from the LAST time they tried a 3-D Super Bowl promo...I knew it'd be back someday! :P
Maybe this will finally kick DVD studios in the pants about using it on 3-D releases, instead of red-blue versions of "Polar Express")

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 6th, 2009, 2:37 pm

Wow. Talk about a waste of marketing money!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 6th, 2009, 3:33 pm

I don't know about the Coca-Cola specs, but this'll be the digital 3D system with the polarising filters.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 6th, 2009, 4:04 pm

The commercial is just the plain old 50's era glasses though, if I'm not mistaken.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 6th, 2009, 4:15 pm

Ahh, right. I read here that it would be the new version. Pehaps the reporter got confused with the eventual release and this commercial promo.

Or maybe I just didn't read it right! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 6th, 2009, 4:23 pm

Or maybe I'm just wrong! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 6th, 2009, 4:28 pm

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2009/01 ... n-fre.html
...the promotion for the Feb. 1 broadcast. The glasses will use Intel InTru 3D and ColorCode 3-D instead of the classic red-blue anaglyph eyewear to deliver a superior 3-D experience to home viewers