The Rocketeer

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

The Rocketeer

Post by GeorgeC » March 11th, 2008, 10:30 pm

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=149730

Dave Stevens, creator of the character "The Rocketeer" which inspired the Disney movie of the same name, passed away yesterday from complications due to a long-term fight with leukemia.

He was 52...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 11th, 2008, 11:18 pm

Sorry to hear that. I unfortunately have never had the opportunity to read any of the comics (aside from a short one featured in Disney Adventures years ago that may or may not have been a Stevens piece), but I have always loved the film. At one point, a movie magazine I subscribed to had a column where readers could submit their ideal film festival and I included The Rocketeer in my submission, which was actually published. In fact, I'm amazed the film didn't give the comics more exposure and equally amazed at how forgotten it is. It seems like these days, no one knows what The Rocketeer is unless they were around when the film was originally released. It deserves better. RIP Mr. Stevens and thanks for the memories.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 12th, 2008, 12:42 am

Holy cow. I hadn't heard he was sick. This is lousy news. He was a very talented artist. I have the Rocketeer graphic novel and the DVD, and enjoy them both.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 12th, 2008, 1:26 am

:( :( :(

The Rocketeer comic-book was a huge influence on me at the 'golden' age of 12. Though I now know it was largely derivative of 1930's pulp film/magazine serials, it was 'all-new' to me at the time, and as Cliff Secord's story slowly unfolded throughout the 1980's, Stevens' comic inspired me to seek out similar stuff -- leading me mostly to the original material he'd based his work on; instilling within me a life-long love of the pulp/adventure genre (in film, radio, newspaper strips, and illustration), vintage 'pin-up' artwork, and even 1930's/40's jazz.

I was actually not a big fan of the film when it was first released; since I was a devotee of the comic-book, I couldn't look past several major differences in the story and characters .. and spent much of my one-and-only theatrical viewing grousing "that's not right!", "why'd they change that?!", etc. A little of that could be 'chalked-up' to college-aged cynicism, as well. :oops:

About ten years later, however .. with both the comic-book and the movie versions a distant, hazy memory, I happened to catch The Rocketeer on HBO one day .. and found myself absolutely captivated; I enjoyed the heck out of it! And thanks to the way HBO programs, I got to see it about ten more times that month .. and found myself liking it more with every viewing. I then dug out the comics and re-read them .. and noted that nearly every change from the comic to the film made the story more 'cinematic' .. while still remaining true to the 'spirit' of the book. I now consider it the finest comic-book film adaptation ever made. :idea:

I got to meet Mr. Stevens a few times, once at the Golden Apple Comics store in Hollywood, and twice at the San Diego Comic-Con. On all three occasions he was gracious enough to sign my copies of his books, and to listen to me 'stammer' my honest admiration of his work. He was absent from the last two Comic-Cons .. I had heard he was ill; but, as he was in his 50's, it hadn't occured to me that it was terminally so. :cry:

'Godspeed', Mr. Stevens .. and thanks for the fantastic entertainment and inspiration.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 12th, 2008, 9:22 am

Wow, this is such a shame.

I was drawn to the Rocketeer comics after the movie, and enjoy both. The movie is terrific entertainment, very witty, with tremendously cool touches. Love WDFA's Nazi propaganda moment too, just brilliant.

Whatever happened to Bill Campbell? He really had the matinee idol leading looks, and, let's face it, Jennifer Connolly never looked as good again. ILM's effects were unbeatable in the pre-CG (and even now?) age and James Horner's score is still one of his best and least most derived.

But...I'm off on a tangent. The guy that created all that is gone, but at least we have his wonderful work to remember him by.

We really need that very long rumored Vista Series special edition of this (and Dick Tracy) sooner rather than later... :(

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 12th, 2008, 11:07 pm

More from Mark Evanier
http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2008 ... tml#014911

"Eventually, he sold most of the rights to Disney for a Rocketeer movie that was produced in 1991. Dave served as a co-producer of the film and did a brief cameo, but the endeavor was not as lucrative for him as he'd hoped, and it pretty much ended Dave's interest in continuing the character."

That's the real story of what happened to The Rocketeer. The movie did OK, but not great, and Disney has sat on its rights to adaptations of the character for years.

Interest in the character dried up for all but the most die-hard fans.

Master Replicas did a Rocketeer helmet recently (one of several licensed AND unlicensed versions done by various companiesJ) and quite possibly the movie version of the rocket pack was produced as a replica, too.

I, for one, would love to see BOTH the original comics reprinted as well as a much better Blu-Ray/DVD edition of the movie.

Right now, the the original DVD of The Rocketeer is available in addition to a few of its inspirational sources -- Radar Me from Mars, Zombies of the Stratosphere, King of the Rocket Men, and Commando Cody.

Ironically, one of Dave Stevens' icons has outlived him. Bettie Page, 83, who was revived as an icon partly by The Rocketeer comics, still lives but even more secluded and in a nursing home after a recent stroke.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 13th, 2008, 4:32 am

I've had the privilege during the past 13 years to work for, and with, some of the visual-effects artists & craftsmen who'd worked on The Rocketeer film. And, thanks to those connections, I'd managed to obtain very nice replicas of both the helmet and jacket, made from the original molds & pattern used in the film:

Sadly, however, during a six-month 'drought' between jobs a few years ago, I had to make the (painful) decision to sell these items on eBay. I still regret that decision, a bit. :cry:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 14th, 2008, 7:50 am

A BIT!!???

Are you NUTS!

Wow, I'm very tempted to shout "Holy...S"omething in my awestruck moment.

Cool, droo, very, very cool...! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 14th, 2008, 12:39 pm

At least he got some good pictures. Thanks for sharing!
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 14th, 2008, 1:19 pm

Looks like a hood ornament. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Rocketeer

Post by Neal » October 12th, 2008, 2:20 pm

I recently read in a Jim Hill article that there's a sequence in the film The Rocketeer that was animated by WDFA. I think it was called the "Nazi takeover plan". I had never heard of it before (never seen the movie) and wondered if anyone knew where I could see a clip of the segment online? Or at least could someone explain what it's about? I read it was worked on my Mark Dindal, an animator whose work I enjoy.
Last edited by Neal on October 12th, 2008, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 12th, 2008, 5:27 pm

You know, this is starting to get <I>REALLY</I> irritating, Mr Neal "I Must See Or Have Every Piece Of Disney Animation In My Personal Hands".

If you want to get technical, almost <I>every</I> live-action Disney film or television program had some Disney animation in it, from title sequences to effects animation and other bits. Ironically, Roger Rabbit didn't have that much "Disney" animation in it...it was mostly animated just outside London, by Richard Williams' Studio in Camden. To get you started on a few more, try these on for size:

Hollywood Party (1934)
Forbidden Planet (1956)
TRON (1982)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 28th, 2009, 4:30 pm

The perfect coda to celebrate Dave Stevens' creative life...

His signature creation is finally getting the complete collection it deserves.

Annnounced this Saturday at WonderCon (SF Bay Area annual comic-con)

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090228- ... 9-idw.html

"Dunbier then announced that IDW will publish The Complete Rocketeer, which will collect all of the Dave Stevens Rocketeer comics, completely recolored by Laura Martin, who was the late Dave Stewart’s (sic, they mean Stevens') personal choice for the project. Stevens, who wasn’t happy with the original coloring on the project kept most of the original pages, and knew where the others were if he ever needed them.
Dunbier then announced that IDW will publish The Complete Rocketeer, which will collect all of the Dave Stevens Rocketeer comics, completely recolored by Laura Martin, who was the late Dave Stewart’s personal choice for the project. Stevens, who wasn’t happy with the original coloring on the project kept most of the original pages, and knew where the others were if he ever needed them.

"IDW will also publish a deluxe version of the collection in an 8” x 12” format which will include over 10 pages of supplemental material that has rarely been seen. “The hope is to make this the book that Dave always wanted it to be,” Dunbier said.

..."Both versions of The Complete Rocketeer will ship in October."

AND, a more in-depth preview of the project here with two downloadable (Save As) images -- http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=20227

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 28th, 2009, 10:38 pm

Nice! I have the first graphic novel collection, but this volume will be great to have. That was a beautifully drawn book.

And, hey---! IDW's doing Captain Canuck too! I've always wanted to see those.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 1st, 2009, 12:04 am

Not much going on this weekend...

Sounds like WonderCon had more announcements than MegaCon.

Now, if only California were cheaper to go to!

Captain Cannuck is a comic I've heard about but never actually read, too...