Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 13th, 2008, 9:38 pm

Here's an interesting article on Brad Bird's upcoming flick 1906...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... f5a8afa946

They made a mistake at the very end of the story though...The short Bird directed for Amazing Stories was animated, not live-action! Arrgh!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » March 14th, 2008, 5:08 am

Finally, a bit of official news about the movie starts trickling in.... Looks like Disney/Pixar are going to be involved after all.

I read the book once I heard Brad Bird was going to direct this, and I must say, it's not the best thing I've ever read. The plot is okay, but it's not particularly well-written. However, the structure is set up so that, if Bird is given enough wiggle room, he really could make one heck of a movie. The story is fairly generic (it's definitely no Godfather, or even Crichton), but it will be interesting to see Bird's spin on a more outwardly adult film. Without getting too specific, there are themes in the novel that Bird could explore without being constrained by the narrative. He did that sort of thing with Iron Giant, although I have a much higher opinion of Ted Hughes's source material than I do of 1906 the novel.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 14th, 2008, 12:09 pm

If it's Brad Bird, then it'll be good. All of his animated films so far have been wonderful.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 14th, 2008, 12:26 pm

Ditto. I feel that way about Mark Dindal too (Where did he go? He finished Chicken Little and dropped off the face of the earth).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 14th, 2008, 1:22 pm

Mark's working on a live-action homage to Sherlock Holmes. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » March 14th, 2008, 5:19 pm

I'm eager to see how Pixar's CG special effects match up to those of Weta and ILM.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by vveksuvarna » March 14th, 2008, 6:04 pm

hmm..so wait...this movie isnt officially pixar is it...seems like pixars position on this one is like a visual effects studio...

the storyline doesnt excite me though...we all have to wait watch....what becomes of this movie...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by vveksuvarna » March 14th, 2008, 6:05 pm

i dont think pixar will have a problem standing up to the levels of ILM/Weta/Sony studios...since pixar was once a division of ILM, im sure theyve got it in them... no doubt about it...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 15th, 2008, 4:31 pm

Ahhhhh... little Brad is growing up! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 15th, 2008, 4:35 pm

Yes, it sure is nice to see him getting into live-action (everyone knows animation is just for kids, anyway.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 15th, 2008, 5:17 pm

I was really talking more about the complexity of the story and the "real" emotions he's going to be bringing to this. Obviously, he's done that in his animated films, but this time out, he won't need to "dumb down" specifically to get a family rating, or think about keeping one eye on the kids (and let's face it, that has to be done).

I wonder if WB are partners because they own some screen rights on this particular event? They also now own MGM's older Clark Gable account of the earthquake, the sometime slow but impressive "San Francisco", in the 1930s.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » March 16th, 2008, 8:32 pm

Yeah, I remember some of the deleted scenes in Incredibles bordered on the slightly more adult. In particular the "Bob in Traffic" scene where Bob gets flipped off (it's cut off the top of the screen, but most adults would know what he's doing) and Bob's response. (I don't want to offend anyone by typing it out although it's a common word in another context. It means "female parent"). The alternate prologue and "Helen Suspects" are more adult too.

In my opinion, the storyline of 1906 the novel was somewhat convoluted and episodic, but I have no doubt that Bird will find a way to spin gold out of the straw.