Space Chimps

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 12th, 2008, 4:48 pm

So, did you work on the film or something?

I'm just curious, since you seem to know a lot about it.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 13th, 2008, 1:24 am

DibujosAnimados wrote:Space Chimps wasn't a "lazy effort." It was an effort of lots of animators working sincerely and diligently to make something entertaining for 12 year olds.
where'd all the effort go to because it doesn't appear that any went into this movie judging from the previews

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Space Chimps

Post by DibujosAnimados » May 23rd, 2008, 4:33 pm

The proof is in the trailer. You may see something different, but I see in the trailer a cute, fun movie for kids. It looks like a good kid cartoon movie to me. :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 23rd, 2008, 6:06 pm

Just because something aimed at kids doesn't mean quality should be ignored.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 25th, 2008, 11:28 am

I just saw the poster...

Seriously, could this movie look any dumber?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PeterPanfan » June 22nd, 2008, 10:35 pm

I'll actually see this..but only because of Kristin Chenoweth. :p

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 23rd, 2008, 1:23 pm

Hey, PeterPanfan! Welcome aboard. Nice to see another familiar face. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PULPHERO33 » June 29th, 2008, 3:13 pm

"a cute, fun movie for kids" UGH!! do you even like animation? That just sounds like such a anti-animation thing to say.

This is exactally the kind of mentality that people like Brad Bird are fighting against. The idea that animated films are just cute, fun movies for kids and that neither quality of story or characters are important as long as the characters are cute and the jokes are funny.
Saving the Galaxy so you wont have to.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » July 9th, 2008, 5:01 am

I was cruising around Amazon's website checking out what animated soundtracks I needed to order since Australia is really slack with releasing non song soundtracks LOL. Anyway I noticed that apparently this movies soundtrack was released on the 8th July but when I went there today I sure it is currently out of stock. Just wondering if anyone can confirm that it has been released cause I really don't see this product being out of stock on its first day of release.
"a cute, fun movie for kids" UGH!! do you even like animation? That just sounds like such a anti-animation thing to say.

This is exactally the kind of mentality that people like Brad Bird are fighting against. The idea that animated films are just cute, fun movies for kids and that neither quality of story or characters are important as long as the characters are cute and the jokes are funny.
I don't think there is anything wrong with making a film that is fun and cute and aimed at kids. Live action movies do it all the time so why should the animation genre be any different. Yes animation has an automatic hurdle to get over when a movie is trying to appeal to all but what a sad world it will be when movies aren't allowed to be made because it is just for kids.[/quote]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 9th, 2008, 10:00 am

It's a sad world when movies like this are allowed to be made.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 16th, 2008, 5:31 pm

Early reviews are starting to come in:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1195801-space_chimps/

"The animation lacks depth, and the only striking element is the Teletubbies-on-acid color scheme."

:lol:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » July 16th, 2008, 6:01 pm

I think the animation looks pretty good, considering the film's $37 million budget. Vanguard would have probably given Space Chimps the budget of a Pixar or DreamWorks film, if they could have afforded to do such.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wolf » June 17th, 2009, 11:07 pm

I didn't expect it would happen but apparently, Space Chimp did well enough at the box office to warrant a sequel. Here's the info from the Vanguard animation site:
We are currently amidst production of Space Chimps 2, a sequel to the successful first film, following the story of Comet the geeky unnoticed chimp who finally blasts off into outer space and explores the planet Malgor for himself.

Space Chimps 2 will arrive in theaters abroad and domestically on DVD in Spring 2010.

http://spacechimps2.com/

All I got to say is why!?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 18th, 2009, 3:11 pm

Because, as Josh noted above, the movie only cost $37m to make, which it must have easily recouped on video. And because this is a world where Happily N'Ever After 2 can happen too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by starlioness » June 24th, 2009, 4:27 pm

not to mention ... Open Season 2.. and such.. :?

well, there's always room for imrovement.. I guess.. just not here :p