Up (Pixar's film)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 8th, 2009, 12:37 pm

I think that the dog has offically turned this movie into a surefire hit.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » March 8th, 2009, 4:27 pm

Looks more interesting now with the dog!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by parka » March 10th, 2009, 5:23 am

After checking out the new trailer in HD...

Definitely must get the Blu-ray when it comes out.
Stunning.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 10th, 2009, 6:58 am

Hmmm I think Up will be a return to the norm for me with Pixar. I'll appreciate it and enjoy it but I won't understand why it has made so much money. Yes there are funny bits in the trailer but I fear that this will just be about following characters through a series of situations with no real story driving the plot. I could be wrong though. After being blown away by WALL-E (a rarity for me with Pixar), I think I'll be scratching my head again over this one.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Locall » March 17th, 2009, 4:13 am

I think this movie will be a huge succes, Wall-e was a bit arthouse and far off the standard. This movie seems to find itself in the middle of the CGI standard, which seems to be a light film with lots of comedy in it.

I love the characters Dug and Kevin, and I think Russel's hilarious, can't wait to find out the backstory between Carl and his wife :cry:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 17th, 2009, 3:51 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:I think that the dog has offically turned this movie into a surefire hit.
I think you are right. Talking to more people, now that they have seen the talking dog they want to see the movie. Originally I loved how their main character was going to be an old man. Come on, how many full length, big budget movies have old main characters? :D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 17th, 2009, 5:48 pm

More than you would think! But I get what you're saying... :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 17th, 2009, 7:31 pm

Bill1978 wrote:Hmmm I think Up will be a return to the norm for me with Pixar. I'll appreciate it and enjoy it but I won't understand why it has made so much money. Yes there are funny bits in the trailer but I fear that this will just be about following characters through a series of situations with no real story driving the plot. I could be wrong though. After being blown away by WALL-E (a rarity for me with Pixar), I think I'll be scratching my head again over this one.
so much about this post has me scratching my head

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 17th, 2009, 7:36 pm

Ben wrote:More than you would think! But I get what you're saying... :)
I can imagine, but none are coming to mind right now besides the Triplets of Beliville. What else is there out there? :)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » March 17th, 2009, 7:39 pm

Well, live-action films such as "Gran Torino".
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 17th, 2009, 7:40 pm

Ahh...you're talking animation...that does narrow it down a tad... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 17th, 2009, 8:35 pm

Ooops, I meant to say animated both times >.<

There are tons of live action movies but I meant animated lead characters.

there is that pixar short where the guy plays chess with himself that I love :P (I know its not full length but while we are on the topic). I think the must have used that short a lot when they were starting to conceptualize UP

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 18th, 2009, 3:23 am

Macaluso wrote:
Bill1978 wrote:Hmmm I think Up will be a return to the norm for me with Pixar. I'll appreciate it and enjoy it but I won't understand why it has made so much money. Yes there are funny bits in the trailer but I fear that this will just be about following characters through a series of situations with no real story driving the plot. I could be wrong though. After being blown away by WALL-E (a rarity for me with Pixar), I think I'll be scratching my head again over this one.
so much about this post has me scratching my head
If you would like to expand on the parts that have you scratching your head I'll be happy to explain. But in a nutshell what my post was trying to say is that I find the success that Pixar has with critics and public annoying as I often find their pictures to be nothing more than average, while other good animated films are ignored cause they aren't Pixar or computer generated. I still don't understand the love for Ratatouille or Monsters Inc. Especially Ratatouille.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 18th, 2009, 9:35 am

There's a sameness about Pixar film's in general that I've never cared for myself.

They're very formulaic and based on the buddy/"road-type" movie.

My feelings about DreamsWorks animated movies are that they're basically driven by celebrity voices and loosely connected gags but not much else. The writing IS weaker in the DW films but not by as much as the Pixar hard-core would care to think.

In either case, the films are amusing for the first one or two you see but they become really old-hat fast.

I've yet to see many animated films that have great screenwriting/storytelling. Too often, I hear excuses for bad planning/writing. Animated features are too often held to looser standards by fans and industry insiders than live-action and those people wonder why they're not taken as seriously (by the general public and film industry) as live-action???

I've got no plans to see the sequels to any of their films... they were good enough the first time around!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 18th, 2009, 10:14 am

I found this:
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]