Up (Pixar's film)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Pixar's "Up"

Post by PatrickvD » June 7th, 2007, 5:23 pm

not sure what this is yet, but I know there've been non stop rumors going on about the 2009 gap in Pixar's release slate.

According to Boxofficemojo.com, that gap has been filled by a movie called Up.

I'm assuming this is the next project from Monsters, Inc. director Pete Docter.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=up.htm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » June 8th, 2007, 1:49 am

So I guess "The Princess and The Frog" will have a Christmas release date.

I was kind of hoping for summer; like it used to be.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » June 8th, 2007, 4:31 am

Could also be a Gary Rydstrom or Brenda Chapman feature. They both are doing something. And 2009 would be 4 years since Lifted. What does one commonly associate with the word "up"?
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 8th, 2007, 4:38 am

bawpcwpn wrote:What does one commonly associate with the word "up"?
7? (As in, 7up -- the soda)

;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 8th, 2007, 7:55 am

Jake wrote:So I guess "The Princess and The Frog" will have a Christmas release date.

I was kind of hoping for summer; like it used to be.
No, Jake. Traditionally, Disney animated films used to be Christmas events. It was only in the 1990s that Katzenberg tried the summer approach...a major experiment that payed off with The Lion King's grosses.

Since then we've gotten more animation in the summer, but their "like it used to be" was always more geared to winter releases. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » June 8th, 2007, 12:54 pm

Regarding Up, I kind of hope it's the Chapman project; she hasn't directed anything at Pixar yet, and I love her work at Disney and DreamWorks. But if it's the Docter or Rydstrom project, I won't mind at all.

Although Pixar is my favorite animation studio, I'm glad they're making a film with a woman director. Chapman seemed to disappear after Chicken Run, and I'm glad she's back in the game.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 8th, 2007, 1:49 pm

What does one commonly associate with the word "up"?

7? (As in, 7up -- the soda)
Wink

Wasn't there a cartoon once starring the 7 Up soda dot? :P

:wink:

BTW, I know it's a "Pixar Project", but is "Up" going to be an animated film, or a live-action/CGI thing AKA John Carter of Mars, etc....

EDIT: Well, the page said Genre: Animation, but they probably don't know a whole lot either and just assume it's animation because it says "Pixar"....:?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 8th, 2007, 2:26 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Wasn't there a cartoon once starring the 7 Up soda dot? :P
Dunno about a cartoon, but I know he had a video game.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » June 8th, 2007, 6:48 pm

AWN thinks it is Pete Doctor directing.
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 8th, 2007, 6:52 pm

I just hope it's actually animated, not some CGI/live-action "what I really want to do is direct" kind of deal....:?

I loved Doctor's Monsters Inc. though, (IMHO Doctor "gets" classic Disney far more than Lassetter does) so I hope it's in that vein. :)

:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 8th, 2007, 6:59 pm

Also, if this is coming out summer 2009 (two years from now) wouldn't it technically be up against Rupunzel? (didn't they say spring 2009?)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » June 9th, 2007, 6:32 pm

Forgive me if this is said elsewhere, but I just got the print edition of Time and it says this about Pixar's next films:
Wall*e (2008)
The studio synopsis: "The year is 2700. Wall*e, a robot, spends every day doing what he was made for. But soon, he will discover what he was meant for." Andrew Stanton, writer-director of Finding Nemo (still Pixar's biggest box-office hit), describes this metallic story as "R2-D2 meets City Lights," with Wall*e meeting a cute robot named Eve. Those who remember the 1931 Charlie Chaplin film, about a blind girl woed by a tramp she mistakenly believes is a rich man, can transpose the story to a lonely planet and guess from there. The main roles will be "voiced" electronically by Ben Burtt, the wizardly sound dsigner behind Star Wars.

Up (2009)
Pete Docter, the Pixar lifer who made Monsters, Inc, and co-director Bob Peterson are preparing this "coming-of-old-age story" about a seventysomething guy who lives in a house that "looks like your grandparents' house smelled." He befriends a clueless young Wilderness Ranger and gets into lots of alter kocker altercations. Says Pixar: "Our hero travels the globe, fights beasts and villains and eats dinner at 3:30 in the afternoon."

Toy Story 3 (2010)
Originality is a Pixar hallmark. None of the company's films have been based on fairy tales or novels, and only Toy Story has spawned sequels. Why a third adventure for Woody (Tom Hanks) and Buzz (Tim Allen)? "We got an idea we thought would be really great," says Lee Unkrich, who co-directed Toy Story 2 and Finding Nemo and graduates to full director status here. "We're just starting to write the story," he confides, adding, ""I wake up every morning hoping for a eureka moment." He and the Brain Trust have already had one inspiration: they've asked Randy Newman to write the score. Or was that a no-brainer?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » June 9th, 2007, 6:33 pm

Forgive me if this is said elsewhere, but I just got the print edition of Time and it says this about Pixar's next films:
Wall*e (2008)
The studio synopsis: "The year is 2700. Wall*e, a robot, spends every day doing what he was made for. But soon, he will discover what he was meant for." Andrew Stanton, writer-director of Finding Nemo (still Pixar's biggest box-office hit), describes this metallic story as "R2-D2 meets City Lights," with Wall*e meeting a cute robot named Eve. Those who remember the 1931 Charlie Chaplin film, about a blind girl wooed by a tramp she mistakenly believes is a rich man, can transpose the story to a lonely planet and guess from there. The main roles will be "voiced" electronically by Ben Burtt, the wizardly sound dsigner behind Star Wars.

Up (2009)
Pete Docter, the Pixar lifer who made Monsters, Inc, and co-director Bob Peterson are preparing this "coming-of-old-age story" about a seventysomething guy who lives in a house that "looks like your grandparents' house smelled." He befriends a clueless young Wilderness Ranger and gets into lots of alter kocker altercations. Says Pixar: "Our hero travels the globe, fights beasts and villains and eats dinner at 3:30 in the afternoon."

Toy Story 3 (2010)
Originality is a Pixar hallmark. None of the company's films have been based on fairy tales or novels, and only Toy Story has spawned sequels. Why a third adventure for Woody (Tom Hanks) and Buzz (Tim Allen)? "We got an idea we thought would be really great," says Lee Unkrich, who co-directed Toy Story 2 and Finding Nemo and graduates to full director status here. "We're just starting to write the story," he confides, adding, ""I wake up every morning hoping for a eureka moment." He and the Brain Trust have already had one inspiration: they've asked Randy Newman to write the score. Or was that a no-brainer?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » June 9th, 2007, 7:42 pm

two people reported the exact same information to me too. I'm going to have to buy a copy of the mag for myself I think.

Is this going to be the most adventurous Pixar film to date?

So anyway, Pete Doctor directing, Bob Peterson co-directing with Ronnie Del Carmen head of story.
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 9th, 2007, 7:49 pm

Up (2009)

Interesting! :) This actually sounds a little like what the plot for Monsters Inc. was going to be...about this guy who's in his 30s or something and has lived a very cloistered life due to being traumatized by closet monsters in the past....then having some of them show up in his adult life and help him to live his life better. (Seriously. Sounds really cool actually, quite different from the usual Pixar buddy story.)

EDIT: Oops, misread it....it was "seventysomething" (I thought it said twentysomething." Sounds cool though, except for the whole buddy thing again. :?