Up (Pixar's film)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 1st, 2009, 1:24 am

Saw Up for the second time on the weekend (for my daughter's birthday). Still magic.

Saw Ice Age 3 the next day (holdover from the birthday wishes). Suffered horribly by comparison, but with some fun moments in-between all the snot jokes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ribbedebie » September 2nd, 2009, 11:23 am

^that's exactly what I thought of Ice Age 3 in comparision to Up.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 3rd, 2009, 6:44 pm

You can now download the Up score for free at https://www.amplified.com/latimesdisney/page.aspx?B=1. At the page, type 'latimesdisney' to redeem this offer, which began yesterday and ends tonight. (I would have made this post sooner, but I just read about it at Ain't It Cool News.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 4th, 2009, 6:14 am

UGH! "Sorry, this page is not available in your country" :(

I loved Giacchino's score and can't get it out of my head. I've been whistling it for the past couple of weeks now! Darn it.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 17th, 2009, 5:24 pm

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » December 18th, 2009, 10:06 pm

Hehe... That was funny. And it was synced very well!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 19th, 2009, 4:53 pm

That was very nicely done! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Up (Pixar's film)

Post by LotsoA113 » March 20th, 2010, 2:37 pm

Love this film no matter how many times I've seen it. My count now is 7 and it still makes me cry.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Anyone else think Up was overrated?

Post by ibrmacf » March 23rd, 2011, 7:35 pm

I'm very ashamed of myself to say it, but it's the truth. I honestly think that Up was very overrated and didn't enjoy the movie very much. To me, it didn't seem like having the charisma and amazing storytelling as all the other Pixar films and there were a few points that didn't make sense to me (such as the fact that Muntz was still alive when Carl was in his 70's and yet not that much older than him). Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way or if anyone wants to yell at me now, you're welcome to do so :D .

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 23rd, 2011, 8:12 pm

Yeah, the age thing bothered me. And the plane-piloting dogs nearly totally ruined it for me. Overall, though, I really liked it. Not a "best of the decade" contender, though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Anyone else think Up was overrated?

Post by droosan » March 23rd, 2011, 8:13 pm

I do think Up goes a bit 'off the rails' during its third act. I do enjoy the silliness of dogs flying bi-planes .. but it just doesn't seem like it's the same movie it started out to be. :| The opening 10 minutes and the final scenes are very powerful stuff, though.

I feel much the same way about WALL-E. A fantastic 'moody' first act .. which becomes a totally different movie (in both art-direction and storytelling style), once he boards the space liner. Both segments are enjoyable, at least .. but they are incongruous, IMO. :|

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 23rd, 2011, 10:45 pm

I'm feeling a sense of deja vu here...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 24th, 2011, 12:18 am

No smurfing!

Son of Dusterian meets carlminez meets Bride of Smurf!

It's a smurf smurf smurfy smurf!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 24th, 2011, 12:58 am

I'm feeling a sense of deja vu here...

D'Oh! There it is again!

Smurf it to smurf!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 24th, 2011, 1:00 am

droosan wrote:I do think Up goes a bit 'off the rails' during its third act. I do enjoy the silliness of dogs flying bi-planes .. but it just doesn't seem like it's the same movie it started out to be. :| The opening 10 minutes and the final scenes are very powerful stuff, though.

I feel much the same way about WALL-E. A fantastic 'moody' first act .. which becomes a totally different movie (in both art-direction and storytelling style), once he boards the space liner. Both segments are enjoyable, at least .. but they are incongruous, IMO. :|
Fully agreed. Up and Wall*E each comprised two or three good movies, squished into one. Dogs and biplanes are great in Peanuts or Wallace and Gromit; but they felt totally out of place in Up.