Persepolis

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Persepolis

Post by GeorgeC » May 6th, 2008, 10:47 pm

From http://www.TheDigitalBits.com today (05-06-08) --

"Sony will bow the Oscar nominated animated film Persepolis on DVD and Blu-ray on 6/24. Extras will include audio commentary with writer/director Marjane Satrapi and co-director Vincent Paronnaud, multiple featurettes, graphic novel to film comparisons with commentary, the Cannes Festival Q&A session with the filmmakers and more."

Y'all can have this film. In my opinion, it's a film for the Emo and Goth set. Not my cup of tea.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 7th, 2008, 7:10 am

I actually quite enjoyed this film (and -gasp!- am neither emo nor goth, George) so I'll keep an eye out for the DVD.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » May 7th, 2008, 1:37 pm

Awesome! I was just wondering about this the other day.

When I went to see this at our local art house theater, it was packed mostly with middle aged adults. I've also known quite a few people my own age (early 20's) that enjoy this film/graphic novel that are far from the "emo/goth" crowd. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 7th, 2008, 3:27 pm

I believe Persepolis will provide original (French?) and English dubs, too.

This has come out but is only playing select cinemas in London, so hard to find at a time that suits. As with Horton, I may as well wait for this DVD now.

<I>THAT</I> will be an odd double bill if ever I saw one! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 8th, 2008, 4:31 pm

We may just get this one at my house. I still haven't seen it.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » May 8th, 2008, 4:42 pm

Has anyone actually seen the English dub?

I saw it subtitled in French when it was out the first time around. I can't imagine the film being quite the same with English dubs, but I guess I'll see when the DVD is out. ^__^

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jafar » May 11th, 2008, 1:52 pm

A wonderful and thought provoking movie...one of the best I've seen in recent times....and yes, I'm one of those who are looking forward to the dvd release.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 12th, 2008, 1:31 pm

Thought-provoking? Not so much.

If anything, the film is an edited version of the graphic novel. The movie skips over the fact that the protagonist got kicked out of an apartment in Vienna for dealing drugs! Gee, they didn't tell you that part now, did they?

How's that for your heroine?

While I didn't need to know that Iran had a screwed-up society, the degree to which it was worse than the Shah's era was eye-opening.

Still wouldn't recommend buying this film. Rental maybe, buy no.