The Illusionist (Sylvain Chomet)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 18th, 2010, 12:17 pm

You're in for a depressing birthday, George, if you try to see it opening day! ;)

I'll get onto a review in due course! :)

GeorgeC

Re: The Illusionist (Sylvain Chomet)

Post by GeorgeC » September 18th, 2010, 12:57 pm

I wouldn't be depressed if I lived near either LA or New York!

Anyhow, I'm used to disappoint with independent animated features.

I can wait until the eventual BD/DVD release!

I'm assuming this film will get a BD release.

Sony is handling distribution in the US and I'm sure they probably picked up the home video rights for North America, too...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by hcjehg » November 3rd, 2010, 1:45 pm

I saw the first 15 minutes of this film at Cartoon Movie in March. I will be going to the cinema to see this film, it is absolutely mesmerizing. I have seen some of the cleanup from the scene in the pub where people are dancing/drinking/discussing/having fun, and there are 26 moving characters (if I remember right) in that scene, and I forget how many animation hours, in there.
As with "Belleville rendevouz" the character animation and facial expressions allows us to "see the thoughts" of the characters.
Brilliant imho.

HC

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 3rd, 2010, 4:01 pm

I thought it was a beautiful film, and so deeply layered, but it's certainly not the kind of commercial beast that will win over many Toy Story 3 fans. There's something much more profound at work in The Illusionist than most animated pictures.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 3rd, 2010, 10:37 pm

I sure hope this gets a theatre release here. Sooooo looking forward to it!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Illusionist linetests

Post by hcjehg » November 4th, 2010, 12:40 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jafar » November 7th, 2010, 12:14 pm

Awesome! Thanks a lot for sharing this! You just made my day :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » January 2nd, 2011, 2:20 pm

I am assuming I can still bring up things in this post. But there was a talk back on cartoonbrew, and the comments so far has been very good, but there was some kinda..controversy or despute..I don't know, of some sort about Chomet not giving the credit to Tati for the idea or meaning of some sort or something along that line. I got confused. If anyone is willing to maybe look into that on Cartoonbrew about the whole thing and kindly put it into "kid terms" lol..for me..I would like to know what all this is about. I read it, but I figured you guys that know more than I do can make it easier for me to understand.
http://www.littlewhitelies.co.uk/interv ... omet-11941
I am in no way trying to bring down Chomet in any sort or for anyone to get that idea...just wanted to know what's going on. he is very talented at what he does..well, ya know.
Last edited by ELIOLI on January 2nd, 2011, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.elioliart.com/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 2nd, 2011, 2:33 pm

ELIOLI wrote:I am in no way trying to bring down Comet in any sort or for anyone to get that idea...
You could start by calling him by his correct name, Chomet! ;)

And as for not giving Tati credit...what tosh! Both names are on the poster, and the film is dedicated to Tati's daughter Sophie. There may be some question as to how much Tati has ended up in the finished film, going by some of the comments in that White Lies article's feedback comments, but I haven't read whatever is up at Brew and there's really waay to many layers there to "translate" into "simple-speak". In short, it looks like a lot of griping about how Sylvain Chomet has stamped his mark on Tati's script with or without "permission". But then, that script was never produced (my own feeling is that Tati wasn't completely satisfied with it) and who knows what changes would have been made had it gone ahead long ago?

The Illusionist is what it is: another artist's interpretation of an artist's work. Who knows what AI: Artificial Intelligence might have been like if Kubrick had directed? What we got is the Spielberg version of Kubrick. What we have here is the Chomet version of Tati. One can't just start complaining that it's not "Tati enough" though!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 2nd, 2011, 3:27 pm

It's Cartoon Brew bringing up yet another "controversy."

'Nuff said.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » January 2nd, 2011, 7:46 pm

Thanks Ben. Woops about the spelling error..honestly my fingers skip a letter. It's like when I spell the word "the" and end up getting "te". Hehe, I have always known how to spell his name actually..slip of the fingers.
Anyway , thanks for clearing that up a little. I know Cartoon Brew has it's share of "theorists" in a way.
And i just spelled "thanks" "hanks".
golly elioli...haha
http://www.elioliart.com/