Watership Down

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Watership Down DVD screen grab help!!

Post by Ben » March 31st, 2006, 6:46 am

Hi guys,

I'm doing a piece on Martin Rosen's animated adaptations of Richard Adams' books "Watership Down" and the uncut version of "The Plague Dogs" and need some help with some DVD frame grabs.

My PC drive is region locked to 1, which isn't usually a problem for the discs I review for DVD Toons, but the discs I have for these two are the Australian region 4 editions.

I have a region 1 of the edited "Plague Dogs", which I'll use to take samples from that film, but did anyone pick up Warners' region 1 edition of "Watership Down", and would you be able to grab around four or five good-looking and varied frames from that please?

I've asked several people here for such help in the past (you know who you are!) but didn't want to keep imposing! Anyone that can help is most appreciated. No rush, (I'm away for a couple of days anyway), but let me know if there's anything anyone can do.

Cheers! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 1st, 2006, 9:19 pm

Hey, Ben, I think Donnie Darko: The Director's Cut refers to the book and has scenes of Donnie's class watching the movie. :wink:

74 mins: Karen Pomeroy tells the class they are no longer allowed to study
The Destructors, and that their new book will be Watership Down, however if
any student wants a copy of Graham Greene's book someone has put 20 copies
aside at the Sarasota Mall.
75 mins: Another overlay from The Philosophy of Time Travel, this time
chapter 6, the Living Receiver.
81 mins: Another eye opening shot, this time with flames reflected in it.
87 mins: Another overlay, chapter 10, the Manipulated Dead.
<snip>
92 mins: Karen gives one of her last classes, after the students watch a
section of Watership Down they discuss Fiver (the rabbit)'s visions, and how
trusting those visions of the end of the world would save the warren.
Gretchen and Donnie argue in the class about the meaning of them. Donnie
doesn't see the point of crying over a dead rabbit, Gretchen tells Donnie he
missed the point, and Karen Pomeroy tells the class that the Deus Ex Machina
is what saved the rabbits.
From http://groups.google.com/group/alt.tv.l ... 9090334df5
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 3rd, 2006, 4:05 pm

Thanks Vi, but I need a few caps from throughout the movie in a fairly good resolution. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by coyoteblue » April 3rd, 2006, 7:00 pm

Try installing videolan (it ignores region code):

download videolan

Check out this videolan faq:

How can I take screenshots?

Right click on the videolan shortcut and add the --nooverlay switch to the Target field. It should look something like this when you're done:

"c:\Program Files\videolan\vlc-0.8.4a\vlc.exe" --nooverlay

You can use irfanview for pasting:

download irfanview
Last edited by coyoteblue on April 4th, 2006, 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 4th, 2006, 8:28 am

Thanks!

I'll check that out. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Lindsay » April 7th, 2006, 1:43 am

Hey, Ben!

If you still need some help with screencaps, I've got both the Region 1 Watership Down DVD and the Region 4 Plague Dogs disc; my DVD-ROM is "properly" hacked, so I can get ya caps from both to help ya out. :)

I can also take "comparison" shots from identical frames of the 2 versions of PD available on the disc, since there's (unfortunately) a startling color/quality difference between the two, due to the uncut version being an old, faded print. :( I know you knew that already, but hey! Just, uh... reiterating? :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 7th, 2006, 8:31 am

Hey, Lindsay's back!!

I've sent you a PM on the details.

THANKS!!! :)

BTW, how have you "properly" hacked your DVD-ROM?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by coyoteblue » April 7th, 2006, 11:31 am

Likely by overwriting the old firmware with a more 'user-friendly' firmware for the unit.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Lindsay » April 7th, 2006, 7:26 pm

LOL! Well, I was just being silly with the "proper" comment - I was just implying that I got my ROM to be region-free, as should be the "proper" default! ;-)

But anyhoo, I managed to make my player "region-free" in a sense, through a software program called KProbe 2 - I can just open the program up and use it to reset the number of region switch allowances I have on my drive. However, the KProbe program was only designed for use on my specific DVD hardware, which is a LiteOn SOHC 4832K drive. So I just got lucky, basically. ;-p

I sent you the caps this morning, however. :) Good luck on your quest to free your player from its Region 1 restraints! :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Watership Down and The Plague Dogs DVD?

Post by Scissorhands » April 24th, 2006, 10:58 pm

Saw the latest news here about that. (OMG! Uncut Plague Dogs at last!!!!)
*coughs*
Does anybody know if these region 4 dvds will ever be released to the usa anytime soon? I'd love to have a region 1 copy of these beutiful films. (Have the barebones WD dvd, and an old copy of PD on vhs but its the cut version)

Anyone to email about bringing it to America? Not sure what compeny would have the rights to it now :?
[img]http://www.gorillaz.it/images/goclinusemur.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 25th, 2006, 7:48 am

Nope. It's not coming out in the US.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by cmoon » August 25th, 2007, 5:32 pm

Love resurrecting old threads...

The R4 dvd is well worth picking up if you enjoy this film. The new footage adds so much more, and it changes the pacing in a way that is critical to the film.

All that said, get a region free player. They aren't even particularly expensive anymore or hard to come by.

P.S. The R4 version of Watership Down also has full running commentary not available on any of the other editions.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Watership Down

Post by loeper » June 26th, 2008, 11:16 am

Think "Secret of Nimh" but replace it with bunny rabbits that talk. It had the darkness of the nimh movie but had bunny rabbits in it. Not really a children's animated movie but more adult oriented plot driven. I think it was either made in the 70s or 80s, I remember watching it on tv in the 80s.

Yes that all I remember, can't remember the plot or characters or anything. Just remember being intriged by it when I was younger.

I know it is a super vague description but I realy would like to know what the name of this animated film was so I could possibly buy a dvd of it.

Please someone throw some movie names out.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 26th, 2008, 11:51 am

This is undoubtedly <B>Watership Down</B>, Martin Rosen's film based on Richard Adams' book. :)

It's big favorite around here with some folk, but hold off on a DVD - it's due to be re-issued in the fall by Warner Brothers in a deluxe 30th Anniversary edition, since the film was released in 1978.

In actual fact, it was made right down the road from me at the place where I now have my offices: Elstree Film Studios, and edited by Terry Rawlings, later of Alien, Blade Runner and, most recently, Phantom Of The Opera.

Check out our article on the film and its follow-up, The Plague Dogs, here:
http://animated-views.com/2006/watershi ... ard-adams/

Welcome to our boards! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » June 26th, 2008, 1:22 pm

The Disney Bunnies line?.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]