Mega Mind

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 8th, 2009, 4:37 pm

Maybe it's for comparing them? (Like,people whould more compare Happy Feet to Surf's Up then The Princess And The Frog,WALL-E or Kung Fu Panda).
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 8th, 2009, 5:44 pm

Kinda like how Bolt and The Plague Dogs both have dogs in them and are about dogs lost and trying to find their way home?

C'mon...films can be about the same thing and yet come out as very different beasts.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 8th, 2009, 6:31 pm

Ben wrote:Kinda like how Bolt and The Plague Dogs both have dogs in them and are about dogs lost and trying to find their way home?

C'mon...films can be about the same thing and yet come out as very different beasts.
When they come out within a year of their disputed source, however, and are x-produced by disgruntled ex-Disney employees still obsessively bitter about never winning a second Oscar over them for their entire career, then things can be considered to be under suspicion.
Not in the case of Plague Dogs (or Robots), however. :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 8th, 2009, 7:04 pm

<I>Obviously</I> not in the case of Plague Dogs, Eric. But thanks for making that clear.

And while I would agree that the notion that Bug's/Antz and some of the others being very similar is hard to discount with - and indeed I am a supporter of some of those claims - but by this point it's really not worth Katzenberg actively trying to rip off ideas, especially several years down the line.

While it's true that The Incredibles sparked a whole series of post-modernist "everyday superhero" projects, it would be frankly silly to suggest that Katzenberg is still pursuing such aims and not know that audiences would be shouting "rip-off" at the screen.

Essentially he's playing the same game as everyone in Hollywood: try and duplicate something that was successful. I'm more interested in whether he makes a better film or not than to <I>keep on</I> raking up the same old, increasingly tired, accusations.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 9th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Ben wrote:Kinda like how Bolt and The Plague Dogs both have dogs in them and are about dogs lost and trying to find their way home?

Maybe because some people whould compare for example Ratatouille to Flushed Away insted of The Princess And The Bow or Kung Fu Panda to decide which studio is better althought Ratatouille and Flushed Away have nothing similar exept that they"re both about rats.
The Incredibles pretty much rip-off every superhero.
Last edited by Once Upon A Dream on February 12th, 2009, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 9th, 2009, 2:42 pm

But Ratatouille and Flushed Away aren't similar either!?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 9th, 2009, 5:53 pm

Exactly.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 10th, 2009, 4:41 am

Ben wrote:<I>Obviously</I> not in the case of Plague Dogs, Eric. But thanks for making that clear.

And while I would agree that the notion that Bug's/Antz and some of the others being very similar is hard to discount with - and indeed I am a supporter of some of those claims - but by this point it's really not worth Katzenberg actively trying to rip off ideas, especially several years down the line..
It's hard to tell whether Katz really knows the difference between what he does and whether it's "worth it" anymore--
He got the Spielberg gig by standing too close to "Lion King" and trying to look creative, and unfortunately Spielberg didn't know the difference either and Katz got his wish--Years later, he's on Shrek autopilot still trying to look like he knows what he's doing, while his few six-film-inspirations of the moment burn themselves out quickly.

Katz comes from the OTHER side of the industry--the grownup studio-exec and industry-columnist side, that gets really excited when you announce that Jerry Seinfeld wants to make a movie--where they believe that Pixar movies aren't hits because they're good, or becuase they're Pixar, but because they're That New CGI Thing The Young Kids Are Into.
IOW, he tries to replicate ingredients, since he came from a 90's Disney that made hits by replicating ingredients, and believes it will work anywhere, for any form of animation.

...He might change his perspective if he ever directed a film sometime, if only he knew how.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 10th, 2009, 7:45 am

I'm more interested in whether he makes a better film or not than to keep on raking up the same old, increasingly tired, accusations.
At this point he's bringing it on himself! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 10th, 2009, 12:33 pm

Golly,James,you"re right about Mike and the character from Monsters Vs Aliens.
So not it's Monsters Inc-Monsters Vs Aliens.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by starlioness » February 11th, 2009, 2:50 pm

yeah, I noticed the resemblance too when I first saw the trailer..

it's funny how some people thought Shrek ripped off Monsters Inc.. several years ago.. now I think Shrek is closer to Beauty to the Beast than Monsters ..

also I think the giant robot Alien thing in the trailer has one eye too.. hmm.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 11th, 2009, 3:08 pm

Agree about Shrek,I also heard people saying that,maybe because they wanted to compare DreamWorks to Pixar and it was the closest thing to Monsters Inc but now after The Wild and Madagascar not.
I whould compare Shrek to a fairy tale film,like The Bear And The Bow or King Of Elvs (If it's a fairy tale) more then Monsters Inc and it is similar to Beauty And The Beast.
Last edited by Once Upon A Dream on February 12th, 2009, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 11th, 2009, 6:58 pm

You know...I'm having real trouble reading your messages Once. I know English isn't your first language, and I appreciate that, but maybe once in a while you could read your notes back before you post them and try and make sense of them before you hit submit.

I don't mean to be rude (though I am a little craggy today!) but this isn't the first time people have brought up your lack of cohesiveness or punctuation, but I just wanted to mention it again - nicely - before it really did drive some of us nuts.

Just re-read your notes before you post...try and put a few more full stops/periods in there and just look at what you're posting before you post it. You'll find you get a much better reception here and more appreciation not just from me but from a lot of other people.

Thanks. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 12th, 2009, 11:10 am

Is it better and more clear now?.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » June 3rd, 2009, 10:06 am

Here is the first image of Oobermind from DreamWorks Animation scheduled to come outs on November 5th 2010.

http://www.best-movies-2008.com/best-mo ... -oobermind

Here is the higher resolution image from AICN.

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/Oobermind.jpg
Last edited by CGIFanatic on June 3rd, 2009, 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.