Mega Mind

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 30th, 2010, 3:18 pm

Brando in Superman: biggest top billing, biggest salary.

Brando in Superman: on screen for less than 15 minutes.

I do still think MetroMan could come back in this, but it wouldn't be passed DWs to promote a big, big star voice even if they're only in it for the first act. After all, this is the company that has just released The Secrets Of The Furious Five as a stand-alone DVD in the UK alongside other brand new (and much longer product), without any mention that this isn't a proper sequel or that it lasts under 20 minutes, and hardly features Po - even if it's billed as "The new Kung Fu Panda adventure".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » July 30th, 2010, 4:01 pm

Ben wrote:Brando in Superman: biggest top billing, biggest salary.
Brando in Superman: on screen for less than 15 minutes.
(Although it was actually for forty minutes in the Superman II we never got except on disk, but point illustrated.)
I do still think MetroMan could come back in this, but it wouldn't be passed DWs to promote a big, big star voice even if they're only in it for the first act.
And I'm sticking with my bets that DW is trying to backpedal for selling a character that Nobody Liked In the Teaser, by surrounding him with a supporting ensemble, just in case.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 30th, 2010, 4:11 pm

Trust you to bring up the (not anywhere near) 40 minutes he did for Supers II. The fact is he still got the biggest salary of any cast member for the first film, Superman II or not.

DWs backpedaling? Would that they would do that!? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Mega Mind (formerly Oobermind & MasterMind)

Post by CGIFanatic » September 9th, 2010, 3:21 pm

Here's the latest trailer for the movie.

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/me ... re-trailer

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 9th, 2010, 4:14 pm

Okay...I think that trailer pretty much confirms that Brad Pitt is in fact NOT killed off in the movie.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 9th, 2010, 4:16 pm

Yep...Clear the floor for Ben's told-ya-so dance. ;)

(And DW?--Even when we're NOT using Jack Black, could we move on from the jokes about someone hanging on saying something coooooooooooooool for ten seconds of screentime?)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » September 9th, 2010, 4:26 pm

I've heard of trailers that spoiler the whole film, but this is new kinds of ridiculous.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 9th, 2010, 5:08 pm

I'd pretty much held off looking at anything about this before a full trailer came out...and that was a full trailer and then some!

I kind of feel like I don't even need to see the film now: I have an idea of the story, the big action scenes, the hackneyed humor, the age-old dialogue: there's almost nothing in this film that says "originality".

All the characters or at least some traits are lifted from other references - in fact, more than the "I told you so" of Pitt's non-death, I'm more concerned that this looks so close to Superman-Meets-The-Incredibles, which I also brought up a good long while ago.

Sure, this will come and go and, like MvA, provide some cheap laughs and brighten up screens for a little while, but really? This is the kind of stuff that runs off the B assembly line at DWA. It actually looks so derivative and full of the same old jokes, lines and bits that we've seen in countless other films, animated and live-action, that I wonder how big the opening numbers, especially after other comic-flops this summer, could really be?

Is this DWA's first major flop? Maybe, maybe not, but I think if it didn't have that cushy November opening date to itself, it could have looked pretty ugly for the studio. It'll be interesting to see if audiences will embrace this or realize that they're paying to see the same film over and over...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » September 9th, 2010, 6:13 pm

Ben wrote:Sure, this will come and go and, like MvA, provide some cheap laughs and brighten up screens for a little while, but really?
They're trying HARD to make it look like MvA, which was surprisingly cuddly even for dedicated DW haters--
And, of course, suckered grownups into thinking the heroine was an "empowered role model", so expect her identically liberated clone here to get most of the TV marketing.
Is this DWA's first major flop?
...Have we forgotten Sinbad already? ;) (Or even the Horsie?)
But if you mean first CGI flop, then darnit, even "SharkTale" and "Bee Movie" got a few lucky breaks for release timing.
Maybe, maybe not, but I think if it didn't have that cushy November opening date to itself, it could have looked pretty ugly for the studio. It'll be interesting to see if audiences will embrace this or realize that they're paying to see the same film over and over...
As Bee Movie proved, that November date IS too unrealistically cushy for its own good.
Harry Potter 7 isn't out for another two weeks after, and two weeks is all DW usually plans on.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » September 9th, 2010, 6:22 pm

Well... I still want to see it, but they straight up gave away the whole movie in that newest trailer.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » September 9th, 2010, 6:45 pm

Wow... Just... wow...

Y'know, I was skeptical about this film before, but thought I might go see it anyway out of curiosity. I probably would have. But after seeing that new trailer I now have zero interest. I really don't appreciate having what appears to be ALL of the major twists revealed in a single trailer.

Bad move DW. Bad move. :evil:

Note: Anyone who has any remote interest in seeing this film should avoid this new trailer.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 9th, 2010, 7:40 pm

Whippet Angel wrote: Bad move DW. Bad move. :evil:
Note: Anyone who has any remote interest in seeing this film should avoid this new trailer.
So, did they
A) HAVE to remind us that Brad Pitt was in the movie, so they could keep "equal" billing (since the Will Ferrell character was going to be a shaky draw),
or
B) Have to double-back and squelch rumors that they "killed off" the character early, which made core fans think the movie was "cheating" the marketing?

Or, knowing DW,
C) Did they think the "Rockstar" gag was a hoot? :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » September 9th, 2010, 8:06 pm

The trailer was OK. It didn't make me cringe.. :roll:
The give away was kinda..not so good for those who were anticipating a surprise, but it looks like a thoroughly enjoyable film. Time will tell and see if I will be more interested enough. Keeping an open mind. ;)
http://www.elioliart.com/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » September 9th, 2010, 8:28 pm

It didn't make me cringe, it just made me angry. I want to like this movie, but now I feel like there's no point in seeing it (at least not in the theaters).

I get most of my enjoyment out of films from watching the plot unfold. I know that trailers nowadays give away much more than they used to, but this is WAY over the top. If you watch the earlier previews for this film in addition to the newest one, you can easily predict how the entire story will unfold.

Yeah, I try to keep an open mind as well, but it's hard when I already know what's going to happen. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » September 9th, 2010, 9:09 pm

True. :)
http://www.elioliart.com/