Fantasia

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » October 3rd, 2008, 1:20 am

Snow White is the most boring Disney film for me.

Yet while I find the film itself to be incredibly boring, I still enjoy watching it for the lovely visuals, and the history behind the film itself. Kinda the same feelings I have for Fantasia.

Hmm.... It's been a long time..... I think I'll need to watch it again.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GRUNT » October 3rd, 2008, 4:01 am

It's funny - when I was younger, I would find most of Fantasia boring...I liked (and I still prefer these today, I guess) the more 'narrative' driven sketches, even Night on Bald Mountain (even though it scared the crud out of me when I was a youngling).

While I still prefer the ones that are less funky, I find myself able to appreciate the ones that are a lot more abstract. In fact, I remember being underwhelmed the first time I saw Fantasia 2000. I think I had my expectations too high. On the whole, I think it's safe to say that Fantasia 2000 is a lot more lighthearted and nowhere near as uncompromising as the original Fantasia. Fantasia had a darkness at times, and I guess it's a little reflective, too. Like what George C said - it can be argued that it's pretty arty farty, but I definitely feel that there's a lot of soul behind it, and even at its most 'arty' moments, I don't feel that the film is being pretentious.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » October 3rd, 2008, 10:23 am

Pinocchio is just a boring movie,the plotline anyway,but I like the characters.
And Snow White-Only the part when the Dwarfs find out that there's someone in their house is boring and the Silly Song.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 5th, 2008, 7:12 pm

Don't worry Vi, I love Fantasia too. Ever since I was a little kid, actually.
Thanks Meg! BTW, I love your Crow av! :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: RE : Fantasia 2006

Post by EricJ » October 8th, 2008, 4:51 am

michaelbraganza63 wrote:Since its inception in 1996, FanTasia has been an event hell-bent on showcasing the most exciting, innovative and individualistic examples of contemporary international genre cinema, with an emphasis on unveiling films very rarely seen in North America.
(Nooo....Not THAT one.) :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » October 14th, 2008, 8:48 am

Rhapsody in Blue is the greatest thing about Fantasia 2000 and is the only segment that is on par with the quality of the original Fantasia.

The rest felt like repeating the original film with less imagination. As if the animators didn't really have anything to prove. No story to tell.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » October 14th, 2008, 9:55 am

I liked fantasia 2000 more than the original

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by robster » October 14th, 2008, 9:59 am

PatrickvD wrote:Rhapsody in Blue is the greatest thing about Fantasia 2000 and is the only segment that is on par with the quality of the original Fantasia.

The rest felt like repeating the original film with less imagination. As if the animators didn't really have anything to prove. No story to tell.
Don't sell the "Firebird", "Carnival Des Animeux", "Pines Of Rome" and "Beethoven's 5th" short! Those were all dramatically brilliant and beautifully executed pieces...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by andrewcg » October 19th, 2008, 7:40 pm

I love Firebird. Paul and Gaetan Brizzi are the best dramatic animation directors for me. They also directed the grand opening of Huncback and the "Hellfire" scene. I heard that they were working on "Moby Dick" for Dreamworks but cancelled because Katzenberg thought it was too dark. Aww man...I really wanted to see them taking the reins of a full length animation, doing what they do best, dramatic. Maybe they should work for studio Ghibli :?
[url=http://www.werewolfandfirefly.com][img]http://www.geocities.com/andymulia/WF_Banner.jpg[/img][/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » October 30th, 2008, 10:57 pm

I was curious - I have the box set version of the Fantasias and the DVD of F/2000 says enchanced for 16x9 TVs, except it was full screen.

Is this another case of pan & scan - or am I seeing the whole picture?
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 31st, 2008, 7:33 am

Check your player settings, or the disc art itself. I can't remember if there was a "foolscreen" version of F/2K out in stores, but it could be a mistake. The "Legacy" box set edition should be a 16:9 enhanced 1.78:1 transfer.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 4th, 2010, 12:42 pm

Here is the Blu-ray trailer for Fantasia, Fantasia 2000 and Fantasia World:

I'm intrigued by Fantasia World. The trailer says it is a new collection of never-before-seen shorts, making the project almost sound like a new movie. If Fantasia World is a new film, I wish it would have a theatrical release.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 4th, 2010, 1:41 pm

I'm guessing "World' is an excuse to release the long-aforementioned Destino and Lorenzo as "Never before seen on video", which they knew couldn't be sold on its own (yeah, everyone wants to see them, but...), and a repackaging of "Little Match Girl" so we won't have to wait for the Little Mermaid Blu.
Fantasia '06 was originally going to be "Fantasia World(-Music)", so we may see a few restorations of ideas, but I don't think they were "secretly" completing it during breaks on P&tF.

While the rest of it is probably composed of the third "Fantasia Legacy" museum disk from the old '00 boxset with a few new finds, since they have room for it--The restored standalone Claire de Lune we already got obviously coming under the header of "Short films".

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 4th, 2010, 2:06 pm

EricJ wrote:I don't think they were "secretly" completing it during breaks on P&tF.
I should clarify my comment. I meant a new film made out of pre-existing shorts. For instance, if Disney has taken shorts such as Destino and Lorenzo, and placed them together with live-action introductions, I would like to see Fantasia World in theaters.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » January 4th, 2010, 8:41 pm

It said Blu-ray but not DVD. These will be available on DVD, right? It would be pretty dumb of them to start going Blu-ray only, wouldn't it?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83